Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest courvier

Need 16-bit sound in doom, NOT 8-bit!

Guest courvier

I dont mean to be rude, but, is there a program that will allow me to use 16-bit sound in doom, doom2, heretic, and hexen? Because my system does not work with 8-bit sound for some reason. But i know for a fact that my 16-bit sound works.

And this is all i want in the program, NOTHING else, no zdoom, or any other ports, just a small program (or port), that allows me to use 16-bit sound in my old games, and thats all!

Is there?

The sounds are all stored in 8-bit format in the games' WADs, so I'm afraid you're probably going to have to extract them all and convert them to 16-bit (you can do this in sound recorder if you don't have anything better).

Then re-insert them in new WADs (one for each game) and load them with the games.

Maybe someone else has already done this and there are 16-bit sound WADs lying around the net somewhere, but I haven't seen them if there are.

sorry, but that probably won't work either as i'm pretty certain that neither doom, heretic or hexen is able to play 16-bit sounds :(

but, try out some of the ports almoust all of them can run in 16-bit sound mode and all extras *can* be turned of.

If you for some (awkvard) reason still whant to run the original versions, and is running either winNT or win2k there is a program (sound fx nt) at http://www.maz-sound.de or http://www.maz-sound.com that will emulate an soundblaster 16 (so convincing even duke3d will run) and I think that since it uses directx (atleast i think it does) it will probably work with your sound card. The bad thing about this is that the program costs $$$.

The last resort is to actually buy a new soundcard, i'm certain that you can get a creative sb 16 (or something else as compatible as the sb32) for almoust no $$ used.