Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Death Mage

DooM 2K (Or WHATEVER the working title is)

Guest Death Mage

It's finally offically announced. After the years of rumors, it will come. This is indeed a great day in gaming. Id Software hasn't done anything right since DooM 2 (IMHO the entire Quake line is trash). If they can recapture the atmosphere of the originals, I will be a happy gamer once again. A game that concentrates on the single player aspect once again, and if it can match the atmosphere of the originals.. where do I sign up?

I must stress how excited I am about this game. Is it lazyness on Id's part? Maybe. But then again all 3 Quakes were lazyness. Id hasn't BUILT a game worth playing since DooM 2. But when they DID do DooM and DooM 2... they were mind blowing. Everything fell into place with them. People *STILL* play DooM and DooM 2. People still build for it. Doomworld is a testiment to that. People STILL enjoy these games. The fact that they're making another one shows that Id realizes this. A game that's approaching 7 years old still has a massive following. Not many games can do that.

DooM is forever. I think most of the bashing coming from this forum are from people who never truely felt the magic of DooM. Of playing it with the lights out in the middle of the night for the first time, your heart pounding as you slowly make your way down the hall, the roars of a Baron of Hell close.. but where... the green fireball sliding directly in front of you from the side as you hear the scream, louder now.. you jump from your chair, desperatly attmpeting to turn the right way and not skip past in your fear as the screen goes red from a direct hit, the doom marine lets out a cry of anguish as the view slowly falls....

THAT is DooM. The atmosphere, the weapons, the enemies, everything. Id, take us to Hell once again! This game had better be dripping with blood, and echoing the torment of Hell itself. Whatever you do, do *NOT* cave in to the political correctness that has plagued the world. Do *NOT* skimp on the details of the demonic abyss. Show us the tortured souls and the demons from the very bowels of Hell once more.

That's exactly how I feel about your first paragraph - although I wouldn't say the quakes were bad - although one didn't really relate to the next - Quake was pretty good - just a differnt atmosphere - one that happened to be not nearly as good - but it did have it's own coolness to it - a little too dark for my taste - not the replayablity of DOOM, that's for sure. I liked DOOM more than DOOM 2, mainly because the levels in DOOM 2 evoked a very diluted atmosphere compare to DOOM. But you're recreation of the atmosphere in your little spiel is exactly what makes doom so great. I think id realizes this and it will be much the same as the original - but more so.

Guest Rhoq

About the "working title". I hope Id doesn't call the new game "DoomIII" or "Doom2000". But of those are bland and plain.
Extrememly impersonal. I think they should call it "Doom: ____" where the blank is some cool word like penance or justice. You get the idea. Maybe those words may not work, but I think sometihng like that would have a bigger impact than some number. And it would be a bit more personal for those of us who love the game so much :)

Guest Epiphany
Death Mage said:

I think most of the bashing coming from this forum are from people who never truely felt the magic of DooM.

I agree with most of what you say except that I believe the bashing is coming from those who did 'truely felt the magic of Doom' but doubt that id are able to recreate that magic after their Quake series. You obviously dislike the Quake games so don't you too feel a little concerned that id might not have what it takes to make a Doom sequal true to the Doom universe?

'Oh my god! They killed Doom! You bastards!'
Epiphany