Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zypherous

Doom 3 MUST have a storyline.

Guest Zypherous

Doom 3 must have a story line, unlike Quake 1 & 2 where the story line was... KILL KILL and um,,, kill some more!

Doom II had a deccent storyline and it was easier to follow why I was killing millions of imps with my little 9mm Pistol.

Half-Life is a good example of what a storyline can do to a 3d shooter, I actually beat half-life in one sitting, 14 hours.
______ _
|___ / | |
/ / _ _ _ __ | |__ ___ _ __ ___ _ _ ___
/ / | | | | '_ \| '_ \ / _ \ '__/ _ \| | | / __|
./ /__| |_| | |_) | | | | __/ | | (_) | |_| \__ \
\_____/\__, | .__/|_| |_|\___|_| \___/ \__,_|___/
__/ | |
|___/|_|

A game like Doom3 doesn't necessarily NEED a though-out story IMHO. Just look at Q3A ; the actual story pretty much sucked but when you look at the intro FMV (with Sarge) you just get sucked right in.

Atmosphere is more important than storyline in an FPS like DOOM. The original game showed that.

Guest abcdoom

I think if ID is looking for great single player, they'll have great intros, awesome storyline, and a ton of different weapons. I dunno if it's just me but 9 weapons with no alt fire is just not enough. That's what I think...voice your thoughts.

Lord FlatHead said:

A game like Doom3 doesn't necessarily NEED a though-out story IMHO. Just look at Q3A ; the actual story pretty much sucked but when you look at the intro FMV (with Sarge) you just get sucked right in.

Atmosphere is more important than storyline in an FPS like DOOM. The original game showed that.

A story explains the atmosphere you are in. A story may not be necassary, but I'm telling you, it'll add face to the game, give it an identity, etc.

abcdoom said:

I think if ID is looking for great single player, they'll have great intros, awesome storyline, and a ton of different weapons. I dunno if it's just me but 9 weapons with no alt fire is just not enough. That's what I think...voice your thoughts.

I think nine or so weapons is more than enough. Too many weapons and all sorts of alt-firing would tend to complicate things a bit too much.