Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

AI fit for Cartoon FPS

Would be hard to make it work in doom, but it's a cool idea anyway: have the AI react differently to different weapons - if you're toting a pistol - the imp or whatever would act very aggressive and lunge out at you without the slightest apprehension, but if you were to quickly switch to the BFG he'd suddenly get scared shitless and go running off. And if you had a shotgun, he'd approach you more tentatively - this would be his behavior when he's alone. If he is accompanied by another imp, or a higher enemy, then his, and his companion's, AI would calculate that and they would behave appropriately. This sort of AI really would give the sense that the enemy has a mind of its own - that it is truly intelligent - an imp would almost be reminscent of a monkey - same IQ :)

I like making predictions: Someone will make a cartoon FPS -maybe Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, where you're Elmer Fudd - around 12 years from now - and it'll be a hit.

Guest Sethsez

Come on! These are demons working for the forces of hell! Do you think they are scared of any gun? If they ran away, Satan would probably punish them much worse than your gun ever could, and besides, I JUST WANT TO KILL MINDLESS DEMON HORDES!

Guest DougF-RiotSoft

They actually might go with something like that.. I mean q3's AI was pretty advanced.. knowing when to get weapons and health and armor..and making certain things priorities...

Guest Blain Newport

I think you've got a couple good ideas there, Hellbent.

I don't think monsters should run away very often. But one or two monsters smart enough to lurk and only attack from ambush could certainly add to the fear factor.

Also, the idea of group attacking could be very fun, too. I imagine something like the little dinosaurs from The Lost World streaking towards you en masse. You'd always want to save some chaingun rounds or plasma for these nasties. If you need a more familiar FPS analogy, think of fast running headcrabs in herds. :)

If you kill almost all of them, the rest could scatter and regroup later. There's definite potential in these ideas.

Sethsez said:

Come on! These are demons working for the forces of hell! Do you think they are scared of any gun? If they ran away, Satan would probably punish them much worse than your gun ever could, and besides, I JUST WANT TO KILL MINDLESS DEMON HORDES!

Agreed Seth, you don't get a lot of action an a game when they're running away from you. I think it would be cool if the imps "snuk" on you, trying to get you from behind the back. But if I see an imp running away from a marin with a BFG, then I'm gonna laugh at how pathitc the game is. However, it would be smart if the imp would try to dodge a BFG shot so he doesn't get fried, but running away is pussying out, and there's non of that in doom;)

Except for the running away part, your ideas would be cool to see. I agree it would be kind of hard implement though. id is not known for it's ablilty in artificial intellegence.

Yeah, I wasn't really serious about the running off... i was in a humorous mood when I was writing this post (hence the bugs bunny comment) - but it might go well in the MDK series.