Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

A look back at the DOOM series, a look forth.

On Romero's opinion on what Doom 3 should be.. "Keep it scary." That's pretty accurate. I think we're all a little confused when we think that Doom 3 should be all red and orange fiery heckish, or dark and scary gloomy caverns and gothic castles. By looking at the original DOOM series, it was by no stretch of the imagination concentrating completely on that. Let me examplate...

DOOM E1: Somewhat dark and gloomy, but mostly computer science bases, and a more technical and outdoorish theme. This was arguably the most popular episode of Ultimate Doom, and it was by no stretch of the mind red and orange firey heckish.

DOOM E2: Much like Episode 1, only a little less dark and gloomy, and outdoor-themed. Some gothic, but still no red and orange fire or lava.

DOOM E3: Now there's something going. A lot of emphasis on being outdoors. (M1, M2, M6, M8, M9), and the red and orange firey lava comes into play. There's also some good gloomy gothic feel (M4, M5, M7). This is where DOOMers probably get this idea from..

DOOM E4: A little more of a twisted feel. An evil, sinister series of level.. Quite a difficult episode it was. Orange skies, a lot of wood. Wood here, wood there. This was a very wood-centered episode. That's about it..

Doom 2, Map01-11: A whole whack of new atmospheres are introduced to DOOM. Waste Tunnels, Refueling Base, Underhalls, Focus, Crusher, Circle of Destruction, et cetera... A great balance, and a great way to start a game.

Doom 2, Map12-20: The theme is a city. Smoky, smoggy city. Very little gloom or doom, or fiery lava.

Doom 2, Map21-30: Much like the original DOOM, the third episode focuses more on red and orange fire. This does too, to a lesser extent. Map21, 23, and 28 may come to mind as the most fiery. While more complex levels like Map22, 24, 26, 27, and 29 make their contribution at least somewhat to the larger levels of the game. Still, we see less and less gothic and heckish toward the later levels in the DOOM series. I think I've made my point..

What I think is important to remember level-wise in the next DOOM...

Waste Tunnels: Like Map05, only darker, with a sewer feel...

Outdoors: What I see in E1M2, E4M9, Map14, Map15. I want to see some of that.

Computer Controls & Labratory: E1M4, E2M7, Map04... That's another part of DOOM that I don't want to see lost..

Wood: E3M4, E4M3, E4M8, Map17, Map23. It's there. It's nice. Let's use it.

Of course, we need our gloomy halls and our fiery lakes of lava. DOOM needs that, too. I just feel that the rest of it seems to be forgoten. *Whew*, that was hard to type... :-b

DooM E1: Agree with you there. But I wouldn't say it as outdoor themed. Just because it has windows showing the skies doesn't mean it's outdoor themed. E1M1-E1M6 were all indoors for the most part, e1m7 and e1m9 had a little more outdoor place, and e1m8 didnt have very much outdoor either.

doom e2: This was darker than e1. e2m4 a prime example. this was fairly gothic, especially in the later levels (e2m8)

Totally agree ith you on e3. The entire episode was just about all outdoors. e3m6 an excellent example, but there ere those all indoor levels (e3m8)

episode 4 wasnt just wood. If you actually pay attention to the textures, youll notice its primarily marble and metal, AND wood. This is my favorite episode in the set. Sorry it set a better mood for me than e1 ever did.

I liked the first set of maps in Doom2. Map01 was a little too easy, but what they hey;) The underhalls was my personal fav. The crusher was great too. map04 gave me a great feeling of ambushing in the beginning of the map. In fact, the only map I least enjoyed was map03, and even that was pretty fun.

The second Doom2 set were probably the worst set of levels out of both Doom's. Sorry, but the doom engine isnt very good at making city style levels. The only convincing city feel would probably be map15. The only maps I liked were map12 and the Citadel (I think map19). map20 was pretty cool though.

Now the final set of maps were the best levels of them all!!! Besides Nirvana (Map21), all of these maps were a blast, especially maps 23, 28, and 29. I personally enjoyed map30 as well. Just watching that little spawn cube fly over and thinking (WTF is that thing?!?!), great feeling. Map28 was the best of the best. Great music, great mood, incredible balance of enemies. Map 29 also fit in as an excellent "Next to last" map. I love how you hit the switch and you see the entire level before your very eyes. Gave me the feeling I had a long way to go, and before I knew there were 32 maps in Doom2, when I got to this map, I kne I was close to the end. Too bad you weren't "forced" to fight that cyberdemon.

What I want to see is a variety of levels that made Doom great in he first place. I don't like the idea of fighting in the city though. If that needs to be done at least it can look more realistic.

"Outdoors: What I see in E1M2, E4M9, Map14, Map15. I want to see some of that."

E1M2?!?! Outdoors?!?! The only outdoor area in m2 was the secret area. Other than that it was all indoors bud.

"Computer Controls & Labratory: E1M4, E2M7, Map04... That's another part of DOOM that I don't want to see lost.."

Please tell me one computer related texture in map04:) That as a very cool level, but there really wasn't a feel to it, cuz I couldn't tell what it was meant to be. Great level though.

"Wood: E3M4, E4M3, E4M8, Map17, Map23. It's there. It's nice. Let's use it"

Okay, those sound accurate;)

I have one suggestion. I want to see hell the way id percieved it to be. "Please, please, please keep out gothic churches. I don't want to be toting my shotgun in a church shooting down imps! It just doesn't feel right. An underground altar or something of that sort might work, but just no churches.

Tawney said:

E1M2?!?! Outdoors?!?! The only outdoor area in m2 was the secret area. Other than that it was all indoors bud.

I know that E1M2 was mostly indoors, but that secret outdoor area is just the example I'm trying to make. I want to see more outdoor areas such as the secret outdoor area in E1M2. Make sense? :-b