Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Yale

What I think made Doom's atmosphere great

Guest Yale

Well, when I played through both games single player, the part about it that made it so freakish to me was the mysterious feeling of it all. There was basically no introductory story lines or anything.. play through a level or two, BOOM a new monster. Kinda hard to explain but.. you know. The mysterious feeling is a quality that I'd like to see kept in a 3rd release :)

There was a story. Your buddies got slaughtered by demons and hellspawn. Don't you think that's enough to set a mood to a game?;)

Guest mr maker
hellbent said:

Oh, I can't express how much I agree :-)

And what a great game that simple story turned out to be, one lone ass kicking marine against the forces of hell. Ahhh, how grand it was (and still is).

hellbent said:

Oh, I can't express how much I agree :-)

I was just trying to imply that if there was no story, you would be looking at the enemies and thinkging "WTF is that?", plus you would have no idea what you're doing or where you are whatsoever.

Guest mr maker

story or no story, you still look at the monsters and say, "what the fuck is that?" and you would still know what you're doing, you're out there on some godforsaken rock blowing the shit out of things.

Guest Yale
mr maker said:

And what a great game that simple story turned out to be, one lone ass kicking marine against the forces of hell. Ahhh, how grand it was (and still is).

Well, I'm not saying I didn't know what was going on in the game! Like I said, it's just hard to explain...

Well, you explained it wrong, because the mysterious feeling is from not knowing what was going to happen next, and that doesn't apply to having no story.

how can you tell me it was good because there was no introductory story when there in fact was one?

Trust me, the lack of a large storyline had nothing to do with the mysteriousness of the game

mr maker said:

story or no story, you still look at the monsters and say, "what the fuck is that?" and you would still know what you're doing, you're out there on some godforsaken rock blowing the shit out of things

You missed the point.

Imagine if they didn't have a story whatsoever. You know where I thought I was? I would probably think Iwas on Earth fighting off aliens in a military base! Well, the military base would be right, thanks to Romero's excellent level design, but I would think I was on Earth not a Moon on Mars.