Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sethsez

Can id make a decent boss?

Guest Sethsez

I don't think so, and that worries me. The Cyberdemon was cool, but waaaaay too easy, and the same goes for the Spider Mastermind. The Quake boss wasn't even a boss, the Quake 2 boss was just terrible in the worst way, and the boss of Doom 64, well, don't get me started on that....
What I'm saying is, this game is going to need some big encounters, so what do you think would be a good final boss? And please don't respond saying something like "and invincible Cyberdemon" or "an Arch-Vile with railguns and a rocket launcher!" Put some thought into it. ;)

Guest Grunt

CyberImp! any ways cheak out the pic i made for my pic.

<------ I made the pic.

Guest Kracov

How about a Centaur? half demon, half horse? Like that Mortal Kombat 3 sub-boss, Motaro? or a Winged Demon that throws fireballs? i can draw it and scan it, and show anyone who has aol or aim.

...half demon, half horse ?

will there be a picture of you in Doom3 ?

Yeah man, that is worst enough.

I don't know if a dragon would make a good monster for Doom, but I've always wanted to slay an honest to goodness dragon. With a capital "D". The one at the end of Dissolution of Eternity was ok, but I was a little underwelmed by it. I want to fight a roaring, raging, firebreathing S.O.B. that can bite you in half with just one bite :)

Guest Sethsez

Same here. And no cheats, like only showing the head or something. I would like a full, gigantic, fire-breathing, flying fortress, not an enhanced Cacodemon that looks different. However, there haven't been many good videogame dragons, with the best being in the Panzer Dragoon series for Saturn. Now _those_ were dragons! However, for Doom, it should be hellish also. Maybe haveing some flesh falling off and red eyes that streak when they move.

Sorry, but what's fighting the forces of hell without fighting Satan in the end? He has to be there he HAS ro!!!

way too easy? - with a plasma gun, maybe... if you die an then fight him, it's a decent challenge. And the Spider Mastermind without the BFG is very hard, especially on Hey, Not too Rough. (no monsters to get in the cross fire)

"'An Arch-Vile with railguns and a rocket launcher!'" - This is a great idea! But make the AV bigger and a little different - arch-viles big brother - and retain his revival capability - maybe revive 3 monsters at once, cause he's so big and bad - and he could still be very fast.

something more original would be ideal - but it's so hard to make a good boss with theses advanced game engines - whatever id decides - no stationary bosses please! I mean really! - and no wall textures for a boss - uhhhhh.................. can you say weak?

KING ELVIS said:

...half demon, half horse ?

will there be a picture of you in Doom3 ?

Yeah man, that is worst enough.

Hey King, I take it you didn't like that idea :)

Guest Kracov
hellbent said:

way too easy? - with a plasma gun, maybe... if you die an then fight him, it's a decent challenge. And the Spider Mastermind without the BFG is very hard, especially on Hey, Not too Rough. (no monsters to get in the cross fire)

"'An Arch-Vile with railguns and a rocket launcher!'" - This is a great idea! But make the AV bigger and a little different - arch-viles big brother - and retain his revival capability - maybe revive 3 monsters at once, cause he's so big and bad - and he could still be very fast.

something more original would be ideal - but it's so hard to make a good boss with theses advanced game engines - whatever id decides - no stationary bosses please! I mean really! - and no wall textures for a boss - uhhhhh.................. can you say weak?

AAALRIGHTY THEN!!!!!! you guys need some of my creativeness. im going to slowly brainstorm some ideas. How about.... something like Chthon from Quake? that giant demon, 40 feet high? but perhaps a little smaller, and with four arms, breathing fire like a dragon? or... Chinpokomon, a yellow thing that throws beach balls? or.. basically satan himself, 10-30 feet tall, throws green goo and flame waves, horns like Tim Curry's devil. or... a sabtre tooth tiger/ demon combo, or... the "goat" of doom, you know the sign that looks like a goat with a pentagram? we could remake it as a full body demon with arms, legs and tentacles that electrocute? anyways thats all for now. what do YOU think?

Guest Sethsez
hellbent said:

The Cyberdemon and SM were easy. Especially on the levels of Doom where they were the bosses. In the SM's level, he could be killed without hitting me once! Just strafe around the big pillar thing in the middle of the level. Or just get far away from him, so his bullets rarely hit you, and lob whatever ammo you have at the son of a bitch. CD was even easier. Oh, and the Arch-Vile with a rocket launcher and railgun was an example of a BAD idea! I want something original, not just an updated enemy or some red guy with a forked tail and pitch fork.

Guest Zephyr

I'd like to see some monsters/bosses that are just overwhelming in size...and quicker than the ones in Doom/Doom 2. Maybe something from Diablo, like those huge, horned demons that run around trying to smash into you. Those things actually made me panic.

I like the idea(s) about having a dragon at the end. They'd have to put it in one huge arena, though (not that I'd mind).

Ok, a big arch-vile with both a railgun and rocket launcher is just silly, but they COULD make SUB-bosses that are just bigger, more powerful versions of the regular monsters. A huge, pink demon would be interesting.

Kracov said:

How about a Centaur? half demon, half horse? Like that Mortal Kombat 3 sub-boss, Motaro? or a Winged Demon that throws fireballs? i can draw it and scan it, and show anyone who has aol or aim.

You mean like the Baron of Hell?

Guest DarKrow
Sethsez said:

The Cyberdemon and SM were easy. Especially on the levels of Doom where they were the bosses. In the SM's level, he could be killed without hitting me once! Just strafe around the big pillar thing in the middle of the level. Or just get far away from him, so his bullets rarely hit you, and lob whatever ammo you have at the son of a bitch. CD was even easier. Oh, and the Arch-Vile with a rocket launcher and railgun was an example of a BAD idea! I want something original, not just an updated enemy or some red guy with a forked tail and pitch fork.

Well, say what you will about the Cyber being easy... but nothing give a bigger thrill than running aroud E2M8, hiding behind pillars, and blasting that big ass sonofabitch with rockets, when ever I got the chance. That truly is a fight. It's better than than Duke Nukem 3D, with that piece of crap boss who shoots rockets in a 360 radius.

Sethsez said:

If you start out on E3M8 with just a pidtol - do you really think it's easy? - It is if you come into the level after getting all the plamsa on E3M7 - but if you start fresh - it's not easy by any stretch...

I know your idea was an example of a bad idea - that's why I replied - cause I thought it was a weak example of a bad idea - although I agree, an original monster would be ideal.

Sethsez said:

One more thing - the SM wasn't too easy - he just died to quickly - two BFG blasts was all it took - that means you can take him out in about 15 seconds within starting the level - this should not be possible in the new doom.

Kracov said:

I agree, I think a full fledged dragon would be cool. But it should be loosely based on the look and features of a dragon - a dragon-inspired demon.

Guest Go-Mer-Tonic
Grunt said:

CyberImp! any ways cheak out the pic i made for my pic.

<------ I made the pic.

I really like the dragon idea. As long as he isn't a D&D rip off. He has to be truly born from hell. Maybe even on fire all the time.

My idea for a sub boss, would be to have something underground reaching up with several tentacles.

You know, you would see nothing in a big arena, then all of a suddun the ground shakes, and the monster's head (be real creative on how he looks) comes up to stare at the player, while other tremors mark his tentacles coming up from behind the player. You know, like the raptors in Jurassic park, they would distract the player on one side, while they attack from the back or the sides.

While wer'e at it, throw some pack hunting regular monsters that work just like the raptors.

Guest Kracov
Zephyr said:

I'd like to see some monsters/bosses that are just overwhelming in size...and quicker than the ones in Doom/Doom 2. Maybe something from Diablo, like those huge, horned demons that run around trying to smash into you. Those things actually made me panic.

I like the idea(s) about having a dragon at the end. They'd have to put it in one huge arena, though (not that I'd mind).

Ok, a big arch-vile with both a railgun and rocket launcher is just silly, but they COULD make SUB-bosses that are just bigger, more powerful versions of the regular monsters. A huge, pink demon would be interesting.

read my 2 posts at "what doom3 should be" and youll find some cool level and weapons ideas.

Guest Freakgod

I say bring back the good fellows like cyberdemon and SM...but give them weak points like ,the cyberdemon has rocket straped o hez back,couple ove shots there and we can say bye bye...imps with wings would be preety cool too.....

Lüt said:

You mean like the Baron of Hell?

Wouldn't you consider the Baron a goat demon?

Go-Mer-Tonic said:

I really like the dragon idea. As long as he isn't a D&D rip off. He has to be truly born from hell. Maybe even on fire all the time.

My idea for a sub boss, would be to have something underground reaching up with several tentacles.

You know, you would see nothing in a big arena, then all of a suddun the ground shakes, and the monster's head (be real creative on how he looks) comes up to stare at the player, while other tremors mark his tentacles coming up from behind the player. You know, like the raptors in Jurassic park, they would distract the player on one side, while they attack from the back or the sides.

While wer'e at it, throw some pack hunting regular monsters that work just like the raptors.

Try playing Turok2 that has some similar bosses sort of things.

Guest Go-Mer-Tonic

I have played Turok II, and it is nice and all, but the dinos aren't that complex. They certainly don't work well together.

And when I suggest using something like the raptos as a regular monster type, I did not mean they should be dino's really. I would love to see something along the lines of the demons from the original DooM, but a little more menacing, and with the ability to work together against you.

Guest Eugene
Zephyr said:

I would have to agree with you on the sub-bosses part. A lot of action games have sub-bosses nowadays.
But the giant archvile with a big gun....What's wrong with that?
Imagine an archvile god with the power to ressurect thousands of legions by saying one magig word!!!!

Guest Reptile
Hellbent said:

One more thing - the SM wasn't too easy - he just died to quickly - two BFG blasts was all it took - that means you can take him out in about 15 seconds within starting the level - this should not be possible in the new doom.

Why does everyone keep talking about the BFG? I have to say that unless I run out of ammo completely or feel like a nice fast gib-fest, I never use the gun. If you want a more challenging boss, just don't use the cheap weapons!

Guest Antaran
Kracov said:

Why the boss must be big? It's not necesery. It's enough the boss is smart and fast (at the end he rules all horde of monsters). For example the boss may be like Orb from Quake3 - monster, fast, smart, and dangerous. It may be a little devil with horns and tail with chingun or rocket laungher or with all weapon that you can carry.