• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jared

What Doom 3 needs to be a hit

Guest Jared

Games will never be the same.

What doom 3 needs to be a hit is quite alot of stuff but because Id software is behind this it might not be hard for them to make a hit or is it?

The main thing ID has to keep in mind is keep playing half life and write down everything you encountered and how the game worked not every see where you said WoW now thats neat. Make sure theres alot of events spread throughout the maps and dont over due them in just one spot. And stay away from the Quake 2 level where you might have to travel back ward to get to the next mission or level.
And for level design make sure to keep on A-B-C-D... way of map design dont make us retrace are steps and making it so we can see stuff we already seen but now is deformed in some way like a corridor you just walked 2 minutes ago but now is a deep hole with a few dead men in it.

Next is characters make it so you can interact with other characters just like in Half-life it was neat to watch the scienctist run around and think there safe with the military but to be shot. Maybe have troops you can control or follow. Walk around a corner and you see your fellow soldiers fighting and you come in to help to be awarded by them joining.

Movies.
The one thing i havent seen much from id software is movies but thats ok. Half-life had in game movies which was really cool because the minute the seen was over you where back into the game. But if you do go for movies make sure there not as boring as Quake 3's i mean the first movie was awesome but the final movie really sucked for how long it toke me to get to the end of the game. Make a neat opening of the game maybe a flash back from the orginal.

Atomsphere
Even though i said there should be characters to interact with some levels should be base alone where your fellow troops are ordered to do something else and leave you behind. And what is ahead of you are dark corridors with creatures that dont scream when they see you they keep quiet and creep up on you and attack.
And oh yeah who doesnt remember this walking around a level hearing a growling sound and expecting one guy to be around the corner and suddenly theres a hundred of these demons running towards you.

Game Engine
Make sure the engine is fast and easy to use. Use curved textures to make it more realistic but make it so it looks alot better then Q3 or UT. Even though today you should have a 400mhz or higher computer make sure the requirements meet almost anything above 200mhz.

Graphics
Unreal had some neat stuff with graphics espically the extra 300mb patch to make the graphics better with certain video cards. Software mode is still good but opengl and direct 3d is now and making the graphics good is the key. And make sure nearly all graphic cards are supported its hard to do but i sometimes get mad because my nice 3dfx card is not supportted by every game.

Weapons- Another classic thing in the original doom was the guns they where original and neat and are still basic weapons today in First person shooters. But please not super weapons and if you do add one make sure you need to use it just right to make it effective the BFG was cool and hard to get but it was to powerful against the bosses it was good weapon to clear the path of enemys but other then that it was a easy way of killing bosses the shareware version didnt have the bfg so i had to face those big mother fuckers at the end with a shotguna and chaingun "Note=Missle launcher crashed my computer for some reason" and it toke many times to kill them and espically because i couldnt save games either.

Well thats enough right now I probadly forgot alot and im tired and its around 12:00am here and im quite bored and i just had to spill my guts out on doom 3. Knowing that everyone spent hours playing the game even me and my cousant played it back in 94 with 50mhz computer. And i thought it was cool knowing there making a new Wolfenstein 3d but now a new DooM changes it all.

Um.....nah
sounds like you want Doom3 to be a Half-Life clone. I think we really should let Id go their own way with Doom3. Remember they did make Doom1&2 and what a hell of a job they did. Mind you its still fun to speculate.

Guest Jared

Yes it does sound like a half life clone but didnt half life make you feel like you where there. I know ID probadly has something better but half life set and standard just like starcraft did. So most games are based upon it.

I never really played half-life. So i cant say that it did. Although Unreal 1 was pretty good, well i thought at least.

Guest Jared
Naberus said:

Unreal was good but it had its flaws. Unreal Tournament was better but flaws where scene. Every game will have flaws.

Unreal was good but not great it had one seriouse problem when it came out and that was computers couldnt handle it so people went towards quake 2 although when i first played it it ran fine. But Unreals story i didnt like it didnt make feel like moving forward and i hated how i could just open the the levels from the game directory the told me theres a way around the game. But DooM3 could take some ideas from the unreal games the monster AI in those games was good espically in UT with the bots and like in Unreal where the bots would dodge rockets. I never mentioned anything about monster AI but its nice feature to enhance i dont just want to pounding down on units that run in circles that got boring. But im not one to pound on games and complain I just merely state what they could of done to make it better.