Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kaban

What doom is all about...

Guest kaban

Do any of you remember what was the point of doom? In case you don't it was to scare the hell yout of you! Make you pee your pants when you see the cyber demon. Nows I am almost sure that when you played doom for the first time most of you did just that. Now in quake, sure there are some monsters that where nasty looking, but did they actually scare you?

Now whatever they do at ID Software they better make sure that DOOM 3 scares us. That includes monters and sounds, and MUSIC. It would also be great for them to make an awesome gameplay, with missions, where you have to do something, but also include some action. I hope you remember how fun it was when you have a dozen guys in a room and fire up one BFG......... You can't do that in quake can you?

If you have any points that should be added, or if you wish to correct me if I'm wrong, than reply.

Guest Kracov

BFG's are for wussies.

I totally agree. One other genious thing about the BFG that just have never been done ever since is that it is so different. If you can shoot the shotgun like a dream, it doesn't mean you can use the BFG. It just is so different to use, wich is great.

Possibly the greatest thing about doom was the monsters. You actually killed something EVIL. something very very evil. Ok, the aliens and halflife and cyborgs in Quake2 may be evil, but they just don't feel right. Shooting the monsters in Quake2 was pretty much like shooting into a wall, really a lack of personality and stuff. Just big chunks of metal... horrible. DOOM's monsters just feel a lot different. I mean, what would be most revarding in real life? Destroying a robot (quake2), or killing some thing that ate your friends and family because it was hungry (half-life), or an evil deamon who just killed them for fun, with no reason whatsoever. It's obvious.
Then there's the cyber-deamon. He just felt like the doomguy's arch enemy, the thing hated over all others. NO Monster has ever scared me as much as this one. It was REAL hard to make it hit the floor when doom came out... these days, we just strafe around them and kill them with the pistol without any problems. He was a hard bitch back then, and if D2K, D3, whateva, is gonna have a cyber-deamon (i hope so, it's an important part), then ID should make him HARD to kill again. Instead of shooting rockets straight at the player, wich worked when we couldn't strafe, it spams the whole floor with them, It runs away when you have a BFG ball in the air, and off course, you hear his footsteps a mile away.... Remember when you first came to that level? You heard his footsteps as soon as you fired your gun, thought "aww shite" and was too afraid to go out of the room and meet him until 30 minutes later? That was just great.

Uhm.. i write too much =)

Guest AftrDrk
Kracov said:

BFG's are for wussies.

bfgs may be for wussies, but the shere plesure of shooting one ball of pure destructive ness and being rewarded in a shower of gibs is priceless. if the new doom incorperates the bfg(and they will, its tradition) make its effects felt and heard but dont over do it(like q2, flaming ball of plasma+laserbeams, overkill).

id like to see 'ol C.D. in the game too. big pulsating mound of muscular hate and destruction. definatly put em in if the plot is true to the original, but not as a boss char.

hey, punk, some of the most "piss yer pants" moments fer me were in HL. hyped senses and sudden movents helped it a bit, but the level design and monster ai did alot too.

heh, i like to kill. its a passion im deeply involved in.

Guest Sethsez

There were scary monsters in Quake. Remember the first time you met the fiend? 'Nuff said. Oh, and I think id will put the BFG in it, just because it was in the last two Quake games also.

DiSTuRBeD said:

I totally agree. One other genious thing about the BFG that just have never been done ever since is that it is so different. If you can shoot the shotgun like a dream, it doesn't mean you can use the BFG. It just is so different to use, wich is great.

You got that right! I'm living proof of that. If ever there was anyone more useless with the BFG than me, I've never met him :)

Sethsez said:

There were scary monsters in Quake. Remember the first time you met the fiend? 'Nuff said. Oh, and I think id will put the BFG in it, just because it was in the last two Quake games also.

Yea, quake had a bunch of good monsters, the fiend actually has a place in doom, i think. Quake2 monsters just don't feel right.

The shambler too, looks like a real hellspawn =)

AftrDrk said:

bfgs may be for wussies, but the shere plesure of shooting one ball of pure destructive ness and being rewarded in a shower of gibs is priceless. if the new doom incorperates the bfg(and they will, its tradition) make its effects felt and heard but dont over do it(like q2, flaming ball of plasma+laserbeams, overkill).

id like to see 'ol C.D. in the game too. big pulsating mound of muscular hate and destruction. definatly put em in if the plot is true to the original, but not as a boss char.

hey, punk, some of the most "piss yer pants" moments fer me were in HL. hyped senses and sudden movents helped it a bit, but the level design and monster ai did alot too.

heh, i like to kill. its a passion im deeply involved in.

What has ever scared me in games

DOOM: Hearing the demons in the distance
being lower than 30 health:)
Those pesky spectres (WTF WAS THAT?!?!?!)
The barons (Real fucking scary)
Hearing the Doom marine scream in agony
Getting squashed by a crusher
The cyberdemon (Scariest of all)
MAP 27 of Doom2 (Great mood especially the music)
The Arch-Vile (What is it doing to me? hehe)

Quake

The fiend (Come on he WAS scary jumping at you like that)
Shub Niggurath...Okay I'm kidding about that

Quake II

Nothing (Even the tanks were a fucking breeze)

Half-Life

The big giant pincer thingies that you have to distract with sound. I forget hat those were called but they scared the shit out of me (Second scariest to Cyberdemon)
The fucking huge guy with the flamethrowers
The apache helicopter coming at you when you first get outside (now THAT was action!)
The headcrabs (they're little whinny noise does freak me out in a dark hall)
Nihilinth...Come on, dodging those big BFG looking homing blasts that made you teleport to bad places made you be like "Get to the pillar hurry hurry hurry!!!):)

Well that's my list of scary things in FPS's, feel free to reply