Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nerull

Weapons and stuff...

Guest Nerull

So what kind of weapons do you think they should put in it? I think it would be cool if they had stuff lying around that actually made sense being there, similar to the nailgun and super nailgun in Quake. Sure, you gotta have some conventional weapons like a shotgun...and it would be heresy not to have a rocket launcher in a fps. ;) But as for the other weapons, maybe add a little jury rigged stuff like modified tools and stuff. I guess it depends on the setting, but PLEASE...none of those far-out science fiction based weapons as seen in the original Unreal. *shudder*
Also, in a mission-based game, the idea of scads of weapons just lying around isn't going to cut it anymore. I know they had limited resources in the original Doom, but I always thought it would be cool if the soldier guys dropped their pitiful little rifle and snapped up that plasma gun lying around and started blowing you into molten protoplasm. :) Of course, for deathmatch the usual chaotic and plentiful placement of weapons would be OK. We've grown accustomed to that. :)
I know this topic probably has been covered elsewhere, but what the heck...it's free. Later everyone!

Guest Grunt

Nah no nail gun its not like Doom to have a nail gun but a Shotgun, SupperShotgun, Chaingun, RocketLuancher, Plasma, BFG!! not like the Quake 3 BFG but like the Quake 2, Doom BFG, and i can't think of any others righ now

Guest Nerull

Well, actually, I just used the nailgun as an example...

"similar to the nailgun and super nailgun in Quake"

See there? The essence of what I was saying is that there needs to be something unexpected in the game LIKE the nailgun was something new in Quake. Big difference from me saying there should BE a nailgun in the new Doom. It's not the
n a i l g u n that is important, but the i d e a behind it.
There needs to be at least SOME kind of innovation with the new weapons, or else it could be done in a Q3A TC and a lot of time and effort could be saved. Heck, I wager someone could slap it all together within a few month's time if all you had to do was spit shine the old weapons and drop 'em in a new game with some mission based maps. And it might be good...but not excellent or in any way creative.
And WTF does "it's not like Doom" to have a nail gun anyway? He's killing stuff for goodness sakes...does the fact that the super-shotgun didn't appear in the first Doom mean that it's not "Like Doom"? Of course not. They did a little changing and you liked it. Expand yer mind a little! There is plenty of room for more weapons than the ones you mentioned. And I doubt that the Doom guy would walk away from ANY kind of weapon just because it's "not like Doom". ;)

Guest PUNISHER

I think all the original weapons should be there along with a whole shit load of new ones i.e.:

assualt rifle,a more hi-tech shotgun,molotov cocktails,grenade launcher,a new handgun (Desert Eagle or something),a sword or knife that can be thrown,a sledgehammer,a cattle prod,the railgun from the movie Eraser,flamethrower,those cool gloves from heretic and that's all for now

Guest Nerull

Gee, if your friend was constipated I figured he wouldn't give a shit what you did. ;)

I guess it would make it easier if we knew exactly where Doom 3 was going to take place. For instance, if it is in a place other than earth, they have to figure in how those weapons got there, unless they use the "We sent an army in before you got there and they all died so you get the weapons that the previous soldiers used" excuse. Hey, it works I guess. I would like to see something like being able to have an imp glove or hand that would allow you to have an attack like an imp. It could be an alternative weapon for slot #1, so you can use it instead af a punch if you wanted. I suppose you would have to rip an imps arm off first. :) Or maybe an entirely organic, living weapon that you happen upon. Something like "living" smart missles that telepathically let you see where they are headed so you can steer them where you want them to go. I dunno...as long as the story is really good, and is told in a good way, the weapons are secondary...within reason. Like i said earlier...no Unreal-type weapons. I just couldn't get into them for some reason.

Nah, weapons that are dead body parts just sounds stupid. It makes DOOM seem more magical, and I prefer the good ol' DOOM guns, and maybe grenades, automatic rifles, flamethrowers, nuclear warheads(now THAT would be fun) ect. And I WOULD like to see sci-fi laser vaporize on contact weapons. Just imagine shooting an imp with a laser been and watching him turn into a pile of ashes.

Guest Nerull

Ok...and nuclear warheads DOESN'T sound stupid? Good heavens...why even bother playing straight? Just put it in god mode if you want crap like that. And FLAMETHROWERS? Think back in the original Doom...think about some of those areas that you couldn't walk because you would take damage, but the enemies could without harm...were they, I dunno...HOT? Flames against demons? Bwa-hah-hah...and you criticized my ideas? Please.

This isn't about the standard weapons...it doesn't take a genius to put in the old stand-bys that will always be in EVERY FPS...those are a given. I'm talking about stuff that is somewhat new and creative.