Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest zyvgjc

No limits on DooM 3

Guest zyvgjc

What I am about to say may be said before, but I do not have the time to read every post. DooM 3 should NOT contain any limits whatsoever, unlike DooM and DooM II. Here are some examples:

-Levels can be any size without crashing the game
-Linedefs can have multiple functions
-Tags 666 and 667 should be able to be used in any level, any sector, and with any type of monster(or a group of monsters), and maybe include new functions to go along with it
-any limits removed by the new source ports
-etc.

DooM 3 should include many more new linedef and sector functions to add more variety to the gameplay.

Guest PUNISHER

what exactly do tags 666 and 667 do anyway?

Linedefs? Sectors? These are terms from id's old 2.5D engine, and have been dead since the Quake line started (which interacts with a true 3d world (plane-intersection based) with what are called "entities") By the time DOOM3 comes out they probably won't even be doing it _that_ way...I don't think it's purely that way now in QIII because the curved surfaces seem to suggest that it's starting to stray from the old simple convex shape stuff of QI and QII, but I'm not really sure (don't know much about 3d programming)...Since they're developing an entirely new technology you'll never hear of a linedef or sector anymore so what the limits will be is impossible to predict, because the technology they'll use and how it will work is known only to id (right now, they might not even know yet). But there WILL have to be limits, both on the "world" and the object in the world but a few years from now, when DOOM 3 comes out, they'll probably be so large that you really wouldn't want to bother exceeding them. Sadly, id has a history of making games that do very poorly with with anything but enclosed areas...Big open spaces would be nice, if not for DOOM, but rather the "mod" community who love id engines because they release so much stuff that makes their games so extensible (DLL source code, etc.)

PUNISHER said:

what exactly do tags 666 and 667 do anyway?

666 is that one where, when a final boss dies, like in E1M8, E2M8, E3M8 and E4M8, any tagged floor lowers. 667 is on MAP07 where that step raises.