Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest IdMarine

I Won't Stand At The Wayside...Freedom!!

Guest IdMarine

I've seen my share of botches and successes in the gameworld, and DOOM is one of those crowning successes. As far as DOOM3 is concerned, I fear one thing...it will end up like Daikatana. Something promising that flopped terribly...I know that good 'ol Johnny Romero is/was the big brain behind DOOM, but he didn't do so smoothly on his own; but thanks be to him anyway for the game he hand in which I'm talking about. This, friends, is why I am so rash in suggesting an E-mail to Id full of our suggestions and cautions. I have played FPS since as early as '91 (was it that long ago with Wolfenstein, or do I err?) and have played Wolfenstein as soon as it was out, making levels and a Goldeneye mod for it. I have/do played all existing DOOMs (beating them all), all console ports, made levels for it and always been a big DOOM freak. Let me add that I do have a life, but when I first sent a bullet through a zombie sergeant's skull with that pulsing E1M1 music, I was hooked. And I was pleased beyond description with the release of DOOM2. All of them successes. That's the one thing all of those DOOM games have in common, besides their names. And by God, I will not see DOOM3 go the way of Daikatana. I will not see this wonderful franchise fade to black. I will not let Id's arrogance cloud their judgement in making the best game of the new millennium...not if I can help it, anyway. That, fellow DOOMers, is my rhyme and reason for arranging this e-mail and the petition. I want to be able to sit back with a sigh of contentment when I play Id's latest installation of the DOOM series and notice our little hints, suggestions, and ideas put to use. That's right...OUR ideas. It's really OUR game. We won't get anywhere unless we unite. I don't know if you think that's an exaggeration or not, but it's true, by God! And I want all of your help. If you want something done right, then have a hand in it! So when I ask for your help then please lend me a hand! And now I need your help. Keep those ideas coming and get ready to sign a petition I'm going to arrange. That's all I ask of you. And if you do your part, we'll know we did our best in making DOOM3 it's pinnacle in excellence. And for all you nay-sayers out there, please keep your doubts and comments to yourselves...let me and others keep a dream. I will see this game remove Unreal from the throne of FPS games...DOOM will be king! Long live DOOM!

IdMarine said:

I will see this game remove Unreal from the throne of FPS games...DOOM will be king! Long live DOOM!

...who said that Unreal had the throne of FPS games today? Personally I think it's too damn unreal. It pisses me off that the weakest soldier in that game takes four rockets to the head to kill, yet in deathmatch two shots from anything is instantly fatal. Don't even get me started about that ultrafaggy Redeemer either, with a blast radius the size of my house. Or that joke of a particle engine with blood looking like crayon etches on the screen... eigh. Unreal sucks. I hope 3DRealms has better luck with the engine than Epic did.

Is there a good Doom 2 conversion for Quake 2? I can't seem to find one. If you know of a good, competed Doom TC for Quake 2 please email me!

Other than that, idMarine, you've got some good ideas there. I too will be throwing molotov coctails if Doom 3 turns out to be another Daikatana. Well, how could it end up THAT horrible? I quit the demo after two levels, utterly disgusted. Anyone able to make it past that far without vomiting? Does it get any better?

Guest JudgeDooM

I've already posted my ideas earlier, I hope you'll send them and the other ideas from guys like Disturbed, Orion, Hellbent and deadnail ( he has the best ideas ). I'm with you :) !!
By the way, do you know the adress ( not the e-mail adress but the real, where they're based) of id software 'cause I'm drawing the Doom III weapons and I would like to send them the sheet. I've also done a strip cartoon based on the first Doom story ( the one in the game manual ). That's right, I'm one of the greatest Doom fans and I have defended this game all my life ( I'm only 17 but hey!) against the idiots who say that "...Doom is an old and shitty game with enemys in paper...". Do they think that id had nowadays technology to make Doom? Unfortunately not, but when it was released, its 3D and its multiplayer were over-the-top for the time!!This game simply kicked ass. I've played it first on the Super Nintendo and didn't like it very much at first (because the animation wasn't as fast as on the PC), but then,I played it and played it and played it...it became my favourite game and it STILL is !!! I have also converted people who didn't like it much in Doom-worshippers! My brother was the first, but he didn't know that game before I let him play on the SNES...He loved it and I found him everyday playing it when I was back from school. He then bought the Doom and Doom II ( they were in the Replay edition from GT Interactive) :)
That's why I also don't want Doom III to end up like Daikatana. I don't want to wait 3 years for nothing!!!

That's why I'm with you and I think your petition and our ideas e-mailed to id will make Doom III game of the year when it will be released...

Guest doomgod12345
deadnail said:

...who said that Unreal had the throne of FPS games today? Personally I think it's too damn unreal. It pisses me off that the weakest soldier in that game takes four rockets to the head to kill, yet in deathmatch two shots from anything is instantly fatal. Don't even get me started about that ultrafaggy Redeemer either, with a blast radius the size of my house. Or that joke of a particle engine with blood looking like crayon etches on the screen... eigh. Unreal sucks. I hope 3DRealms has better luck with the engine than Epic did.

Is there a good Doom 2 conversion for Quake 2? I can't seem to find one. If you know of a good, competed Doom TC for Quake 2 please email me!

Other than that, idMarine, you've got some good ideas there. I too will be throwing molotov coctails if Doom 3 turns out to be another Daikatana. Well, how could it end up THAT horrible? I quit the demo after two levels, utterly disgusted. Anyone able to make it past that far without vomiting? Does it get any better?

that is what i am saying but it comes down to timeing and how they show us the game, like daikatana i have wanted other games but when they finallycame out they seemed so rush they either totally lacked in gameplay or had very bad bugs in the game. like the game omikron it is cool and one of the best i have pllayed but it has some very shity things wrong and should have been released later. it carshes almost every time and the game engin was not made for the first person part of it. i alos tought daikatana would kick ass but after hearing so much about it. but when i saw the demo i realized how badly it sucked i hope doom3 does not do the same or duke4

Is it really going to be three years!!!! (ill be an old man by then). I too share IdMarine's philosophy, it's better to fix something before it breaks. I have never heard of Diakatana (probably because it sucked) but know of failures (like ROTT was, good graphics, bad levels, not many people got it). I too am young (im 18) and a very avid doom fan (actually a third of my life revolves around it, and no i'm not insane). Johnny Romero won't be coming back because they chopped his head off in doom2 (ha ha ha). I remember playing wolfensitein, so far have games come since then! I've played many games, the've gotten better and better and better. If doom3 is a flop I will be horribly disheartened (maybe even depressed?). I'd better not see any of the crap from the doom bible that didn't make it into doom 1 or 2 (someone was actually insane enough to make that suggestion, I flamed them). If that does happen i'll transform into a werecyberdemon and trash ID's headquarters.

I hope that most of my ideas were appreciated, I am very opinionated and am not just being a big mouth. I take into consideration:
reality, playability, technological feasability, future possiblities (like the year 2200), and lots of other principals involving common themes and expectations (uzi's and grenade launchers).

I have an idea for doom3 that will make everyone love it. That you would be able to select different detail levels and such that you could take advantage of the full experience if you've got a p750 w/256 meg ram and the hottest video card, or like me, reduce the quality enough so that a person with a p300 and 64 meg of ram and using software acceleration (no 3d accelerator) would be able to run it with some limited capacity (still be able to run though, unlike quake 3 was). I have a system similar to the above and like it, have no 3d accelerator. I am financially challenged and cannot upgrade to even one of those slick $500 systems. They will lose a very large crowd if they do the same thing the did with quake 3 (i can run quake 2, but not 3, wuz up wid that!).

I am posting this here becasue the other wish list is getting too long.