Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Deep Water

Recommended Posts

I've tried to do it on my own, and I just can't get it to work! Can someone, anyone help me out here?

Share this post


Link to post

Editing site in sig, BOOM section and Legacy section include deep water

Share this post


Link to post

If you want swimmable water (ZDooM) then it's the same as deep water for Boom, with the addition of putting a 'water zone' thing in the 'control sector' (you'll understand when you read the deep water tutorial either here at Doomworld or at the ZDooM page). This is true if you use WadAuthor, I don't know how other editors describe the water zone thing.

Once you have it working, add blue light to the 'control sector' and it looks just right.

Share this post


Link to post

An additional method for coloring the underwater area which seems to give the best-looking results is to use the transfer-heights line in the control sector to define underwater color and fogginess. If you give it a slight blue tint and slight fogginess, it's pretty realistic. Don't make the mistake of coloring it a deep shocking blue. To use this method, you put an eight-digit number in for the lower sidedef texture of the transfer-heights line. Try 70000030 for starters, then experiment. The format is that the first two digits control degree of fogginess, the next six digits are RRGGBB (as in red, green, blue). I think they are hexadecimal numbers so that you can use letters a-f as well as numbers, but unless it's a special case of wanting very strong coloring, you should not need to use letters.

Don't forget to adjust the light level in the control sector in order to control the light level underwater. A thanks to Enjay for showing me these things last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Ultimate DooMer said:

If you want swimmable water (ZDooM) then it's the same as deep water for Boom, with the addition of putting a 'water zone' thing in the 'control sector'

You can do that, and in the latest betas there are extra parameters you can give the transfer_heights special to define water zones without using the water zone thing. Very handy :) I'm using one of the extra parameters ("don't draw fake floor/ceiling") combined with the "eyes go below fake floor" sector special thing to create the illusion of a 3D space station in my upcoming map, Space Station Omega, so knowing how to use Transfer_Heights isn't just limited to making water zones. Another good example of what I just said is ReX's The Darkest Hour, which he uses to create a 3D floor effect (anyone have the URL for the download? Doomcenter won't load and as a result I can't check for the latest URL)

Share this post


Link to post
Biffy said:

An additional method for coloring the underwater area which seems to give the best-looking results is to use the transfer-heights line in the control sector to define underwater color and fogginess. If you give it a slight blue tint and slight fogginess, it's pretty realistic. Don't make the mistake of coloring it a deep shocking blue. To use this method, you put an eight-digit number in for the lower sidedef texture of the transfer-heights line. Try 70000030 for starters, then experiment. The format is that the first two digits control degree of fogginess, the next six digits are RRGGBB (as in red, green, blue). I think they are hexadecimal numbers so that you can use letters a-f as well as numbers, but unless it's a special case of wanting very strong coloring, you should not need to use letters.

Don't forget to adjust the light level in the control sector in order to control the light level underwater. A thanks to Enjay for showing me these things last year.


....or, to give you a greater range of colours, you can use the Sector_SetColor (tag, red, green, blue) special on the control sector.

Share this post


Link to post
Ultimate DooMer said:

....or, to give you a greater range of colours, you can use the Sector_SetColor (tag, red, green, blue) special on the control sector.

Biffy's method provides the exact same range of colours.

Share this post


Link to post

In ZDoom beta 33 you can have Room over Room effect with Deep water teleport like duke, you can understand it if you take a close look at trhe ZDoom reference above.

Share this post


Link to post
GooberMan said:

Biffy's method provides the exact same range of colours.


although that method is more difficult to understand (as it uses hex rather than normal numbers).

Share this post


Link to post

No, it uses normal numbers. Just try the values I suggested. You should never need anything over 90. And...the bonus some seem not to understand is that you can get some fogginess too, the first two numbers. 00 is no fog. 40 can be seen a bit, etc. It's very effective. A good value for "under nukage" vs underwater is 80003000.

Share this post


Link to post
DooMBoy said:

This is all too much for me.....


DooMBoy, do not despair! I will email you a simple example wad as soon as I get home, before 6:00 P.M. Pacific. You will see all, I'll tell you what to look at.

Share this post


Link to post

i did a deep lava thing once but it was only by acident

Share this post


Link to post
Archvile64 said:

What about not using source ports?

I don't believe you can get deep water without a source port. (I'm assuming that's your question.)

Share this post


Link to post
ReX said:

I don't believe you can get deep water without a source port. (I'm assuming that's your question.)

Not deep water in the true sense, but I know in Vanilla Doom you could get it so it appeared to be deep. I think it had something to do with making a lower sector and not giving the linedefs lower textures.

Share this post


Link to post

It's done by using a self-referencing sector inside another sector, like invisible platforms, but with the height set lower than the outer sector, rather than higher. Trouble is, you can only do it to about 40/48 units before the homs set in. In practical terms, 24 units was the limit. (making a deep water area that you can step out of)

Share this post


Link to post
Ultimate DooMer said:

It's done by using a self-referencing sector inside another sector, like invisible platforms, but with the height set lower than the outer sector, rather than higher. Trouble is, you can only do it to about 40/48 units before the homs set in. In practical terms, 24 units was the limit. (making a deep water area that you can step out of)


yeah but if you make "steps" in the deep water you can go lower than 24, say a step of 16 then down to 32 or whatever. but yeah at 48 or so the hom starts

Share this post


Link to post
esayeek said:

yeah but if you make "steps" in the deep water you can go lower than 24, say a step of 16 then down to 32 or whatever. but yeah at 48 or so the hom starts


the trouble I found with that was if you made it 32 units deep and start walking/running on it, the homs appear as you bob up and down.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, zdaemon understands deep water, but does not perform well with it. The player motion is jumpy or disturbed in the water, while on land it's smooth in the same game.

Share this post


Link to post

What about using DeePsea to do this? I was actually about to begin a thread about this, but I see there is no need for it. So, yeah. How would I go about it using DeePsea? (for the Zdoom wad)

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×