Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bad Luck Ranger

The AI of friends and foes!

This is my first message so I don't know if this idea has already been said (it probably has but...).
Ok here's my idea... actually I'll give you some back story to the origin of my idea.
<Que wrobbly-flashback screen>
I was round a friends house one day and the topic about Doom3 popped up (this was a few weeks ago). I said something like "Did you hear that Id are making a new Doom game?" He said something like "No" Anyway, we got into this huge conversation about how cool a new Doom game would be and my friend was playing Unreal Tournament at the time and he was playing an Assualt game with bots (the type where you can give orders to the bots).
Later I was feeling tired, this was about 11pm and went home. I fell asleep watching some shitty old war film and dreamt of being a UAC marine on Phobos.

Here's my idea.
How about you're not the only marine alive because to be frank how the hell could ONE man survive to onslaught of hell!!!
So you come across other marines fighting demons (much like Half-Life) and when you meet them a small pop-up menu... pops! UP! Where you can get the other marine to follow you.
there'll be orders like "Wait here!" "Cover me!" etc.
Think about the possibilities!!! You could have help killing those pesky demons!!!

Like I said, this idea hads probably come up already but oh well!

Yes!!!! But the type of commands should be limited (pick from a menu, hey you can't get a guy to jump off of a bridge!)
And you should have the control of how many of these vagrants are roaming around like bots, but this number should also change the difficulty of the level based upon how many of these "bots" or even co-op players there are
In this way, eventually the AI of the bots will be overcome by the monsters, cant just throw 20 bots into the mix and expect them to do your dirty work for you, the monsters will mow through them like a hot knife through butter, then they will come looking for you (and amybe know exactly where you are and set you up!)

A suggestion that was stated before is random monster starts so that the game is never the same no matter how many times it's played.
They could use this to do the difficulty settings by just having more spawn spots used (even up to a 1000 in a level if need be) also having types of monsters for each spot so you don't end up with a baron at the beginning!

Another previous suggestion was to have multiple levels for each monster (like in a roleplaying game... ill get flamed for that, so what?).
Like a level 1 baron is more like a hell knight, a level 2 is like a normal baron, and level 3 would be tough-ass baron (also described in another post).

This way you could also restrict what level of monster was spawned in addition to numbers for those really tough doomgods (could make imps stay normal, or spawn nightmare imps and imp rulers too).

That's exactly what I was thinking. It would also be interesting if the game had it's own GUI or Windows interface like Doom95 had so you could select a level and there'll be a few sliders for Skill level etc and the computer would use these to determine how many friendly bots would be in that certain level. Obviously there would have to be more bad guys than friendly bots because the game would be made crap!
Also depending on the actual level say for example E1M1 you could only have transformed humans and imps so that the computer wouldn't randomly spawn a huge f*ck'ov cyber-demon at the very beggining were you've only got you're pistol, your fists and a chainsaw!

I also have this other idea but it won't actually affect the game in fact it's actually to do with demos. At the menu screen of most of Id's games (excluding Wolfenstein and Q3A) there's a demo playing. What I had in mind was the ability to record a demo and somewhere in the options there would be a Director's option where you could edit the recorded demo to make a small piece of Machinima. (If you don't know what Machinima is check out http://www.planetquake.com/tritin-films /). So you could make this small demo of the player from a thrid person or whatever view kicking demo butt.
I got this idea from the game Driver if you don't like the idea then oh well! I'm not bothered it's only a small idea anyway.

I thought of something like a demo editor, but the problem is that it Means people could make it look like they were the absolute Doom God.

Guest Sabreclaw

why would you need to command the others? I've noticed that in games where you have AI controlled teamates, the teammates are a lot smarter if you don't have command over them. This will also free up control time/space.