Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest B Jones

Doom 3 & Hardware T&L?

Guest B Jones

With John Carmack's praise for on-chip transorm & lighting and the introduction of yet another very powerful T&L capable chipset (ATI's Radeon), I wonder if Id will see fit to produce a new engine that supports all phases of on-chip T&L where available.

I hope so. Although Q3 did benefit from harware transforms, the lighting was still left up to the game engine. It would be really nice to see them not rush this out the door (ie. just re-use Q3's engine) and when it does finally ship to have a truly scalable engine that could run well on an "ancient" PII 266 with a Voodoo2, yet make full use of any bleeding edge, on-chip geometry processor that is availble too.

Oh yeah, and take me to Hell too will ya?!?

It's nice to note that the Radeon supports more little tricks than a GeForce 2, it has the whole set for DirectX 8.

Also, I believe that ID is creating a whole new engine from scratch like they always do (well, after Doom2 anyways). It will support everything that's out up to that point and maybe a few things beyond (like how Q3 has partial T&L support).

Who knows? In a year we might be looking at GeForce 5's that have 256 megs of DDR ram and an onchip processor that's clocked at 600Mhz, and enough hardware chipsets that you could do the Episode 1 of Star Wars in around fifteen minutes.

Then again, they might stick to what's available right from the start of the project.

I'm pretty sure they'll only spend the time and effort to include things that will prove fully useable and beneficial to the project and to the game's performance as a whole.

As for the minimum requirements, I'm rather hoping they're astronomically high, that way they cram as much detail in there as possible and really FORCE all of us into a new generation of computing. Either that, or create some new types of models and levels that automatically scale detail to your desired level.

Oh, and don't worry. I plan on taking EVERYONE to hell with me!

Yeah, but how much money would it cost for all of this advanced top-of-the-line crap?!?!?
One of the reasons i HATED quake 3 is because it would'nt run on my system and it really pissed me off (I don't have a 3D accelerator, is there software that mimics 3d acceleration on a non-3d accelerator on-board video?). I hope that I would'nt have to upgrade too far to be able to run the new doom at a minimal level (a p400 w/96mb of ram should run it at a low level).

I know that there're Glide Wrappers that turn your OpenGL into Glide, but I don't know of any that just 'create' OpenGL support.

Guy, a Voodoo 2 is just fifty bucks after the rebate. :) Know anyone that just upgraded and will sell you their old card?

Thanx for the suggeston, I'm not looking to have the best thing on the market, just something that will work. I don't know anyone period, musless any that just bought a new video card. I can break off 50 to get one.

Does it work for PCI because i don't have an AGP slot.

You don't know anyone? Sheesh. I don't know too many people either, but I like hanging around with the lesbians at the arcade.

As for PCI/AGP, the Voodoo2 from 3DFX only comes in the PCI flavor as far as I know.

If nothing else but to jump up a good step, drop $100 on a new motherboard with AGP and $100 on a K6-2 300~400. Slap the sucker in there and you'll be set for a while.

I'm on a Voodoo 3, and honestly, I can't run Soldier Of Fortune for *shit*. Thankfully I've got a decent job, so I'm gonna snag an ATI Radeon in a few weeks. That almost seems like overkill since all I've got is a P3-450 with 256 megs of SDRAM. :Þ

Got tired of Duke Nukem 3D. Right after it showed up in the mail I had to run out and snag a game that would show it off. I was so into Duke at the time I *never* heard of Half-Life. Imagine how impressed I was when I played it. I'd like to have the same feeling with Doom 3 to be honest. :)

sirgalahadwizar said:

Thanx for the suggeston, I'm not looking to have the best thing on the market, just something that will work. I don't know anyone period, musless any that just bought a new video card. I can break off 50 to get one.

Does it work for PCI because i don't have an AGP slot.

I have a 12MB Diamond Monster II that I would be very willng to part with. (There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't need it anymore)

Let me know if you want it, I'll sell it cheap...

What are the specs?
Is it PCI?
Because I don't have AGP.

Just e-mail me and tell me more...
And how would a transaction like this take place, because I don't have a checking account or a credit card.

Guest doomgod12345
deadnail said:

You don't know anyone? Sheesh. I don't know too many people either, but I like hanging around with the lesbians at the arcade.

As for PCI/AGP, the Voodoo2 from 3DFX only comes in the PCI flavor as far as I know.

If nothing else but to jump up a good step, drop $100 on a new motherboard with AGP and $100 on a K6-2 300~400. Slap the sucker in there and you'll be set for a while.

I'm on a Voodoo 3, and honestly, I can't run Soldier Of Fortune for *shit*. Thankfully I've got a decent job, so I'm gonna snag an ATI Radeon in a few weeks. That almost seems like overkill since all I've got is a P3-450 with 256 megs of SDRAM. :Þ

Got tired of Duke Nukem 3D. Right after it showed up in the mail I had to run out and snag a game that would show it off. I was so into Duke at the time I *never* heard of Half-Life. Imagine how impressed I was when I played it. I'd like to have the same feeling with Doom 3 to be honest. :)

hey do any of u know how to know what mother bored u have and how much it can take liek ram and cpu i want to upgrade

deadnail said:

Aren't Voodoo cards only 16-bit?