Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sir psycho sexy

Minimum requirements?

Guest Sir psycho sexy

I am in two minds about what I think they should do in regards to requirements for the game.
On the one hand I think, 'YAY they can make a really great game with all the bells and whistles and a great engine and looking great.' But then I think, 'I will probably not be able to run the new game, at least not without making it look like a pile of shite which I have to do to run soldier of fortune.' so there you see my dilema. I want to support the new doom game, but being a lowly student with less money than the guy sitting on the street corner begging for 50p for a cup of tea I will not be able to afford any upgrades for my computer so I am starting to think there might be no point in supporting a new doom game as I will probably not get to play it unless I'm round the house of a friend who has a good computer or a couple of years after it comes out!!!

I feel your pain... I too am a college student.
When quake 2 came out I got the demo and it worked fine, I only had to shrink the window a small amount which I was confortable with (actually I get lost on full screen, I concentrate better when window is shrunken down about twice).

When Q3 came out I got the demo and to my shocking surprise, it didn't work, something about it could'nt find openGL drivers. I thought that sucked that it would'nt run just because I dont have a 3D accelerator, I mean they could have at least had a mode to use software emulation and make me shrink down the view a whole bunch and lower the detail on everything to crap... but no, they couldn't do that could they. And because of that descision, I have never played Q3... ever, as I don't know anyone with a good enough system to play it.

I will eventually upgrade, and it will be one of those cheap $500 computers that isn't normally compaired to a workstation. I will want this new doom to run on it and not require something like a Screaming video card with 256mb of ram on it!

It's constantly a huge big cycle for me. For I upgraded my 286 to run Doom. Then I upgraded to a 486 to run Duke then I upgraded it to a 586 to run Quake. It then ran Quake2 okay but then I brought two Voodoo2's to run in SLI. Now I'm in the process of upgrading my computer to run Q3 better. I am a college student and I am working at McDonalds at Gatwick airport. But believe me it's a right bitch even for 5.25 an hour!

Guest Epiphany

Unfortunatly most game developers disregard the fact that most gamers have considerably slower computers then they are developing their games on. I believe that even after testing on lower end machines developers realise that their game runs too slow that they release it anyway, hoping that every person who buys it gets a new processor and videocard from the same store. Perhaps hardware companies are paying developers to make their games run like slow shit. I can't understand how Carmack, being the genius programmer he is produces such unoptimised code and dodgy engines. Some one is paying him big bucks and in the end his so called 'fans' get screwed. Yeah, he's a real legend.

Guest JudgeDooM

Try to get yourself a job. It's the best way to upgrade your computer. I've done that and when I return, I'll be able to buy myself a PIII 800 and perhaps upgrade my RAM to 320 or 448 instead of 192. And not to forget a 19'' screen and a GeForce chip-based card. But since the game will not be out 'till 2 or 3 years, I think my configuration wiil be already old because new material and technologies will appear :(

Guest DeAD Stuff
Bad Luck Ranger said:

It's constantly a huge big cycle for me. For I upgraded my 286 to run Doom. Then I upgraded to a 486 to run Duke then I upgraded it to a 586 to run Quake. It then ran Quake2 okay but then I brought two Voodoo2's to run in SLI. Now I'm in the process of upgrading my computer to run Q3 better. I am a college student and I am working at McDonalds at Gatwick airport. But believe me it's a right bitch even for 5.25 an hour!

well,i have a p2 333 mhz cpu,64 megs of ram,and an old vodoo1 3d card,and i can run decently q3a,but anyway,i do not like that game.
i am gonna buy a geforce2 card or an ati-radeon i suppose,
or maybe just a tnt 2 and when the new doom come out i will have still enough money to buy the technologies that will be avaible...