Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

display problems

why is the original doom.exe look so pixelated. i mean everything is so damn blocky. just kidding!

here is the problem. doom runs fine except there are random colored pixels on the screen. they blink many disapera and reapeara some stay others flicker on and off. no it is not the monitor cause it only does this in doom. rott did a similar thing but i have not noticed it today. other games run fine. windows also does it( i think) has anyone ever had this problem.

PS i am useing an older system, a throught back to the days of doom. a 486DX/120Mhz, 32mb ram, soundblaster 16/awe32, and for the video card a VESA trident SVGA card. if the card is bad i have a box of replaements

Try using one of the replacements. Exhaust all your resources before
asking other people. That's what I do, at least. ;)

perhaps its because doom was made to run on the video card of a 386 ?
which doesn't exactly handle pixels to well

i am just lazy aabout changing it. however it is annoying so i will however i think the last one did the same. the cards are very nice for their time period

Sephiroth said:

no it is not the monitor cause it only does this in doom. rott did a similar thing but i have not noticed it today. other games run fine. windows also does it( i think) has anyone ever had this problem.

It only does it in Doom? Followed by "Rott did it:Windows does it :)

fodders said:

It only does it in Doom? Followed by "Rott did it:Windows does it :)

Yeah dude, make up your mind.

I used to have a similar problem on a 486 machine. Turned out that the video card was just slightly cracked. So I taped it back together and everything was fine.

Assmaster said:

I used to have a similar problem on a 486 machine. Turned out that the video card was just slightly cracked. So I taped it back together and everything was fine.

ROFLMFAO! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Doom-Child said:

You should probably pull the power first, though.

DC

You mean he should keep the power on and make sure to be the best conductor as possible. USE A SCREWDRIVER AND TOUCH ANYTHING THAT COULD ZAP YOU. That'll fix it.

bigbadgangsta said:

USE A SCREWDRIVER AND TOUCH ANYTHING THAT COULD ZAP YOU. That'll fix it.

Haha, I fixed a soundcard that way.

Good Lord man buy a new machine, work some more hours in the 'chesse-making' or whatever it was you said you wre doing in the pizza factory.

Alternatively beg Katarhyne for some 'old' parts of hers, which would probably include an AMD XP 2000+ or a Ge3Ti.. :P

well to tell u the truth all is fine in windows and rott. so doom IS the only thing with this problem. however it is only in the original exe's, ports seem fixed. plus the card can go up to 1024x768 at 32 bit color. exelent for 1994. win3.1 runs at 1024x768 at 256 with no problems

Are you really that broke, or do you just have an obsessive preference for old hardware?

DC

no i am not broke. i own seven systems, yes all work and run great. this is my newest system built for older DOS games and programs. It can handle qutite a bit too. just for some odd reason the video card does not like doom. it is not really bad cause it is random and not many of thise odd color and blinking pixles show up.

Holy jeez, 1024 x 768? I didnt know that was possible back then.
Looks like it's just that particular card. Guess you'll have to go ahead and pull one of those other cards out of the box.

just fixed it, installed a basic SVGA VESA driver. i guess the card is a very high end card for the time. i found a mag that had it advertised for around $150 in 1994. well a similar model anyway(the one in the add had slightly more ram)

Guest NIGHTHAZZARD

some older cards had to have that "sparkle" controlled (turned off)
why i dont know but graphic cards have come a long way since then.
depending on the driver used, some were automatic while others were not. was very common place on 512k (1/2 meg) cards, like old cirrus logic cards, ect...