Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DeAD Stuff

Doom64 plot?

Guest DeAD Stuff

i did'nt try doom64,can you tell me the plot and about the new weapons pliz?

Guest JudgeDooM

the plot is that "...a single demon entity escaped detection. Sistematically it altered decaying, dead carnage back into grotesque living tissue. The Demons have returned-stronger and more vicious than ever before. Your mission is clear, there are no options: KILL OR BE KILLED!..."
This is word by word the story of Doom 64 as you can read it on the back of the Doom 64 box. I won't tell you the end...I'll just tell you that everyone wonders about the storyline of the new Doom when they see the end of Doom 64.

As for the weapons, they're the same, but redesigned -like the ennemies- but the shotgun and the double-barelld shotgun have no reload animation **it sucks**.

The enemies were modeled better in general, except for the people which looked like GI Joe figures. The Bull Demons were MUCH more intimidating. To me it seemed like all new models with the exact same animations. Yes, the Cacodemon was pretty weak in this but that's the only enemy fault I think.

The weapons were modeled to resemble the quake weapons. Basically they looked the same except had much more detail with fewer animations. The Plasma Rifle looked MUCH BETTER, IMHO, even better that Q3A's. Also the chainsaw became a double bladed chainsaw for battle only.

There was also *1* new weapon. When you picked it up from it's altar the screen message was "What the #@%! is this?!" and it resembled a plasma rifle made out of flesh and bone with a large pentagram in the middle of it. It shot single laser beams that killed zombies in one hit, imps in one or two, and bull demons in two or three just so you get the idea. It was powered by cells.

Another part of the game where the pentagram powerups. There were three along the course of the game to collect. As you got them the 'Demon Laser Gun' began to grow in strength. During the final battle you could use the pentagrams to seal off the portals so no other enemies intrude on your battle.

BTW, at level 3, the Demon Laser Gun became 3x stronger than a BFG, spraying laser beam segments all over the damn place and gibbing everything in sight!

IMHO, Doom64 was the best reincarnation of Doom 2 ever made, with great level design (all new levels, too, 32 of 'em!), great lighting and shadow effects, and the music was incredible. It was all goth ambient, like Quake, and during some of it you could even hear a baby crying in the background, very disturbing.

You haven't tried it? Well friend, I urge you to get it as soon as you can. But if you have a really rockin' PC (P3-500+), then why don't you just download the rom and emulate it? :)

Like always the final boss and ending are somewhat disappointing, but there are somethings that just never change. :/

deadnail

Guest Epiphany

You're an idiot. Doom 64 is the worst incarnation of Doom ever made, an insult to the original and just a pathetic game in general. I played through it and it sucked. Id must have regreted that they sold the Doom licence to some immature children to create such a pathetic 'port.'
It would be interesting to hear others views on the game.

Guest Bobbert005
deadnail said:

One problem with the rom idea.....I have yet to find a Doom64 rom that actually WORKS. If you know where I can find one, please tell me.

Epiphany said:

You're an idiot. Doom 64 is the worst incarnation of Doom ever made, an insult to the original and just a pathetic game in general. I played through it and it sucked. Id must have regreted that they sold the Doom licence to some immature children to create such a pathetic 'port.'
It would be interesting to hear others views on the game.

The graphics were *very* good. I only played doom64 once, and on a friends' 64'. I had only gotten far enough to get the chainsaw and shotgun, I don't remember the shotgun very well. The bull demons (the one's that bite) were some of the damn scariest looking monsters I have ever seen in a game before.
From what I have heard above, the game really sucks, and feel embarassed for playing it. I'll take the original doom over 64 just for it's open-ended theme
(don't know if they're actually aliens that look like demons or just the demons themselves - changes the plot from one of science fiction/action to one of gothic/action). The "demonized" laser gun thingy is what changes the plot.

Bottom Line:
Gfx- 8/10
Story- 1/10

JudgeDooM said:

the plot is that "...a single demon entity escaped detection. Sistematically it altered decaying, dead carnage back into grotesque living tissue. The Demons have returned-stronger and more vicious than ever before. Your mission is clear, there are no options: KILL OR BE KILLED!..."
This is word by word the story of Doom 64 as you can read it on the back of the Doom 64 box. I won't tell you the end...I'll just tell you that everyone wonders about the storyline of the new Doom when they see the end of Doom 64.

As for the weapons, they're the same, but redesigned -like the ennemies- but the shotgun and the double-barelld shotgun have no reload animation **it sucks**.

I wasn't at all impressed with Doom64... they had to technology to make all the enemies polygonal but they didn't? I know some one is going to say "but that's because they wanted to keep with the feel of Doom" but if that's the case why would Id make a new Doom game (Doom 3) if they knew that the "feel of Doom" was 2D sprites and Midi-music! The music I have to admit was better... but it just didn't feel like Doom (to me anyway... it just didn't have the scare factor I got from when I first played Doom back at the beggining of 1994.)
I'm not slaggin' Doom64 but my personal opinion is, it sucked (wait.. that's not right?) it wasn't to my taste. People have they're own opinions (look at racsists, god I hate those dumb fools!)

Guest JudgeDooM
deadnail said:

Shit. I forgot to say all that, God damn me. Anyways, Doom 64 is a pretty good game, but sometimes it annoyed me, but I won't dare resell it and more, I won't even dare THINKING of reselling it! Hey, it's of the DooM family after all!!

sirgalahadwizar said:

The graphics were *very* good. I only played doom64 once, and on a friends' 64'. I had only gotten far enough to get the chainsaw and shotgun, I don't remember the shotgun very well. The bull demons (the one's that bite) were some of the damn scariest looking monsters I have ever seen in a game before.
From what I have heard above, the game really sucks, and feel embarassed for playing it. I'll take the original doom over 64 just for it's open-ended theme
(don't know if they're actually aliens that look like demons or just the demons themselves - changes the plot from one of science fiction/action to one of gothic/action). The "demonized" laser gun thingy is what changes the plot.

Bottom Line:
Gfx- 8/10
Story- 1/10

It's basically the same game! The enemy graphics couldn't be upgraded without ending up blurry so they just made new models for them with higher detail. Aside from that the game ran in true color (or high color) so they had a MUCH better pallete to choose from; that really shows when you see some of the blues and greens in Doom64, and it doesn't suffer from the neon nightmare that most 64 games seem to have or the brown and red limitations of the original game.

However it is at it's heart the same Doom engine. It plays the same and feels the same. Some upgrades to it were added, such as real 3D bridges in some of the later levels and conveyor belts and of course the hardware lighting effects were great.

As for all the enemies being polygonic, the game would've ran like mud. The N64 can handle poly enemies, just one or two at a time and far spread out. That's not Doom. Since they went with sprites they can jam enemies in there like crazy and make some really hectic levels.

The new weapon didn't change the plot I don't think. The pentagrams did. The demon laser gun was just an added toy, it was hidden decently and I don't think it was even mentioned in the instruction booklet.

Anyways, doesn't EVERY Doom game get a 1 out of 10 for plot?

The game HAD to be changed. Doom 2 was well old when this game came out and just porting it would've been extremely gay and it wouldn't've sold a single copy! So they changed all the graphics, made all new levels, and all the while it's still the same damn game underneath.

I'm sorry but Doom is a GAME, not a religion. Upgrading the animations to 16 bit color is an ENHANCEMENT, not blasphemy.

And as for the ROM, I've never found a bad one. I've gotten one from two different places and both of them work fine. UltraHLE has a few minor graphic glitches, including the lack of the incredible blood fade, but it's quite playable. Should I put up some more screenshots?

http://www.deadnail.f2s.com/img/01.jpg 58k
http://www.deadnail.f2s.com/img/10.jpg 58k

BTW, don't take the opinion of everyone else to heart so much. I heard Syphon Filter was great everywhere I looked but to be honest that game sucked major cock. Play it for yourself and decide for yourself.

Guest doomgod12345
Bad Luck Ranger said:

I wasn't at all impressed with Doom64... they had to technology to make all the enemies polygonal but they didn't? I know some one is going to say "but that's because they wanted to keep with the feel of Doom" but if that's the case why would Id make a new Doom game (Doom 3) if they knew that the "feel of Doom" was 2D sprites and Midi-music! The music I have to admit was better... but it just didn't feel like Doom (to me anyway... it just didn't have the scare factor I got from when I first played Doom back at the beggining of 1994.)
I'm not slaggin' Doom64 but my personal opinion is, it sucked (wait.. that's not right?) it wasn't to my taste. People have they're own opinions (look at racsists, god I hate those dumb fools!)

yea i tought doom64 was lame yea lame. i did not get much of that doom feeling. i though tit looked a bit wierd but it did not totally suck there were good leves and weapons and the skys looke dneat

Guest Hellspawn
deadnail said:

I downloaded one and it was a bad ROM, so not all of them are good. I haven't found a GOOD one yet. I keep hitting dead-ends and broken downloads... any suggestions as to where to get the rom?