Sign in to follow this  
Guest RATBURN360

No techno

Guest RATBURN360

Please hope doom3 doesnt have any of that gay techno crap like quake 3 had

Guest destROYer

Mmmmm metallica....

Guest Epiphany

The fact that people even bother speculating on the entire Doom III music thing shows that people have little faith in id. Isn't it obvious, they should get back Bobby Prince to continue to produce music that suits the Doom universe. Recreate some old tracks and make some that are new. Use real instruments and maintain the diversity in style that united fans of all music genres in appreciation of the original tracks.

destROYer said:

Mmmmm metallica....

Metallica hasn't had a decent song since the black album, and not even a decent album since Justice for All!

My God, do you mean you actually LIKE that insipid piece of shit they wrote for MI2?

If Kurdt Cobain took Metallica with him I still might respect the band, but since I heard Load and that horrible country song on it Metallica has been dead in my eyes. Not to mention the even worse Reload, and their bullshit cover album, then their bullshit live album with a symphony.

BTW, that wasn't Techno in Quake 3 Arena, it's called industrial. Techno doesn't have any real instruments and is mainly intended for dancing.

Don't bitch about the Quake 1 soundtrack anymore either, it wasn't industrial it was gothic ambient. It was either that or rehash the sountrack to PSX Doom 2.

For me, I would be extremely impressed if the soundtrack was performed by Bobby Prince, Trent Reznor, Devin Townsend, Iron Savior, Die Krupps or Sonic Mayhem. I would be even more impressed if it had a completely orchestrated soundtrack like a movie.

Then again, half of you reading this probably just vomited and think the soundtrack should be done by some no-record trend band that just sprung up like Papa Roach, Disturbed, or what would really make me sick is if the soundtrack ended up as Hip-Hop.

For fuck's sake, THE SOUNDTRACK REALLY DOESN'T MATTER. Yanni could fucking do it and you'd still buy the game! Most of you in here will probably turn off the music anyways so you can hear the enemies coming better!

There's no reason to complain. I *liked* every single sountrack to all of the Quake games. Goth Ambient, Simple Rock, and Industrial were fine to me. Half of the time I still put in my own CD's anyways.

Why is everyone still bitching about the music? Hasn't every argument already been made?

The chorus for the MI2 song wasn't THAT bad. Black album wasn't very good at all, kinda like a washed out Load/Reload. A good deal of those songs woulda been a lot better if they had just upped the tempo.

Also, good call on Devin Townsend - if anybody can write music to capture a feeling it's him. Reznor can cry and throw gay hissy-fits but that's it.

Anyways, I think this whole point about the music is moot since nobody knows anything about what, where and when the game is taking place.

Guest Erick20

I agree with some of the things Dead Nail wrote, and some things I don't agree with.

First...
Metallica does indeed suck. I don't even follow their music or carrers, but I do know that they've gone way past their prime and should have hung up the phone before they came out with their shitty load album. And now that they're showing their true motives behind Metallica, (all that napster friction proves that the money comes before the fans) I wouldn't be able to like them even if they DID make good music! But enough about that, back to doom...

Second...
I agree that the soundtrack shouldn't be done by some crap 'alternative' band, and absolutly SHOULD NOT be hip hop or anything close to it. Unless that's what our green marine is listening to on a set of headphones, it shouldn't be in the game.

I think the game, however, SHOULD have music within the game. It just adds to the effect. I think this is best demonstrated in the original Quake (reznor made that game spooky...) and the original doom. I would go as far as to say that whoever did the original music score for DOOM did a better job then trent did on quake. Why? Where reznor made a bunch of kickass spooky tracks, they didn't all exactly fit in with each individual level. And even though the DOOM music was all just a bunch o' midi files, they still worked better because they fit the feel of the level. Some excellent examples of this are heard on e3m1, e2m2, and of course, e1m1. Certainly the game could be played with no music at all if you want the true 'there' feeling, but the music (in my opinion) really adds to the atmosphere if it's done correctly.

And while I'm on the topic, I'd like to add that I really dont think they should use too much 'rock' music. Leave it with ambient and dark songs, because that's what doom is all about, right? Dark and sinister!

but again, doom needs music.

Guest Kaopectate
deadnail said:

Hrmm..and I quote:

Techno doesn't have any real instruments and is mainly intended for dancing.

I'd like to correct you on this, cuz you're wrong.
Techno is only a part of the genre of music called Electronica. Electronica is very varied and the only Electronica meant for dancing is Club/Rave/House, not Techno...
What would be good would be some soft Progressive Dream/Trance
music played LOW...it can really draw you in.

About musicians who can draw you in...Does anybody think they could resurrect Freddy Mercury??? He was very good at this (listen to the Highlander soundtrack, you'll be amazed)...

...But that's just my opinion...

Guest Sir psycho sexy
deadnail said:

Hmm, now i have to agree with deadnail on the metallica front (hey lets just turn this into a metallica sold out thread). They would not be a good choice at all. To the person who said they did not like the black album, i'm not meaning to diss your opinion but you must admit there are some very good songs on that album e.g. enter sand man.
Now onto the music for the game, I don't think it should be done by just one band, person, etc. As someone has said before different types of music for different parts and moments in the game, to set the mood at a specific moment.

Erick20 said:

First... Dead Nail? Yikes. I prefer deadnail. It's not a self-sexual-insult either, my nail is very much alive. A deadnail, or deathnail, is the last nail put into the coffin.

Ooh, spooky. Okay, you can stop laughing now. :Þ

Anyways, glad to see there are some people here who hate Metallica as much as I do.

I know all about music myself, too. I've heard EVERYTHING. I grew up to Rush, Pink Floyd, and the Moody Blues while listening to Falco, Joy Division, and Dead or Alive on my own accord. I can stand *anything* except rap or new r&b. Sixties r&b, with the great lyrics and *gasp* real instruments is great but all of these new little rich white girls singing to black guys thing just kinda makes me sick.

Country isn't so bad, it's put together a LOT more like punk music than most people realize. I myself am not 138 but I do really like the Ramones. Green Day can die. Anyways, if you hate country, fuck to it a few hundred times and it grows on you. I should stop picking up country girls, heheh.

As for Electronica, I'm really into it. Techno, to me anyways, seems to be that dance club bullshit like "A Night At The Roxbury". Robert Miles is FUCKING AWESOME. Trance is great. Hardcore kinda gets on my nerves even though I own every Ultraviolence and every Atari Teenage Riot CD. :p

I love metal, though. Grindcore, speed metal, thrash metal, industrial metal, goth metal, death metal (Celestial Season kicks major ass!), and all but I still find time to listen to Bjork and Justin Hayward.

WTF you ask?

Simple. I appreciate music, the beat, and the effort put into the whole deal. I listen to music because I like it, I don't listen to it to fullfill any bullshit self image or to bust a groove so some chick thinks I'm cool.

That's why I hate rap.

That's why I love bands like NIN and VAST, and have great respect for groups like the Moody Blues that INSPIRED Pink Floyd.

If you find a CD laying around called "Ocean Machine - Biomech" I suggest you buy it. It's what happens when a grindcore man becomes serious.

If you find VAST, Visual Audio Sensory Theater anywhere then I suggest you BUY it immidiately, take more XTC than you've ever taken before, relax, and crank it the fuck up! What is it, you ask? Goth, industrial, progressive... hell, it's everything in one!

As for Doom music, what about multiple artists? NIN could cover the ultra BPM industrial and they could bring back Bobby Prince to do a MIDI soundtrack. Just pick which one you want at the options menu.

Would that get everyone to stop bitching? If BP did a soundtrack too that you could pick instead?

Guest Kaopectate

Yes...Trance rulez (that's just cuz I track it..but)
If you ever get the chance, go on mp3.com and download from the following artists -- Bassic, Arisen, trance[]control, the Cynic Project, and 303infinity..they are really good..

BTW, deadnail, I'm ashamed that you didn't mention Queen, possibly THE greatest band EVER...lol

...but that's just my opinion...

Guest Epiphany
deadnail said:

You know what id should do, download a heap of Metallica tracks as mp3s, use them as the Doom soundtrack and not pay them anything.

Kaopectate said:

Yes...Trance rulez (that's just cuz I track it..but)
If you ever get the chance, go on mp3.com and download from the following artists -- Bassic, Arisen, trance[]control, the Cynic Project, and 303infinity..they are really good..

BTW, deadnail, I'm ashamed that you didn't mention Queen, possibly THE greatest band EVER...lol

...but that's just my opinion...

Holy fandago, how the hell did I forget Queen? Or Anthrax? Or Infectious Grooves? Or Amorphis? Or Dream Theater? Or Apocalyptica? Or Rob Zombie?

What about Stabbing Westward, Shotgun Messiah, Type O Negative, 2wo, Orgy, KMFDM, MDFMK, Fear Factory, Johnny Cash, Spinal Tap, Moonspell, Danzig, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, The Rentals, Daft Punk, Queesnryche, Gary Hoey, New Order, One Of 18 Angels, Apoptygma Berzerk, DVDA, Nirvana, Captain Beyond, Touch, Jimmy Buffet, King Crimson, Alan Parsons Project, the Cure?!

The Cure damn it the CURE!

What about Larvamind?
Haven't heard of that one? Try http://larvamind.tripod.com
Fine; it's my brother's band. :Þ

And fine, so what if Jimmy Buffet would make Doom too laid back to be exciting, fuck it man, forget the demons, let's get drunk, smoke some hash, and have a nice senorita tattooed on us!

ya know what? just f**k all you people who dont like metallica they rule and you know it, load is my favorite album, the unforgiven 2 is the best song ever made. im too disgusted to even talk anymore, (which you'll probably appreciate) get a life and shut the hell up

Guest SlayeR
deadnail said:

Hey, F#CK you, man. Metallica have written some of their best songs since AJFA!! Music doesn't have to be fast & heavy to be good, damn you! Sure, they've gone a bit soft since Black, but their songs have got better & better.

And on the topic of techno music in Doom 3, NO FRIGGIN' WAY!
The techno music on the Carmageddon soundtrack totally ruined it, there was kickass Fear Factory, then.. techno?? GAY!!

I'll give you that Metallica has written some of the best metal songs ever. That's granted.

However, all they've produced in the last six or seven years is nothing but pure tripe. They started sliding way down hill when bands like Fear Factory and Die Krupps were sliding up.

I know music doesn't have to be fast and heavy to be good; read all my my posts on the thread before you attempt to insult me. One of the best songs I've ever heard is by Justin Hayward, called "Broken Dream", and it's slow and weak and is STILL in itself better than anything those money thirsty bitches in Metallica have produced in the last five years!

Fucking music does NOT rely on NTV or fucking Radio to gain money. It does NOT rely on CDs either. It relies on concerts and word of mouth. I used my Load CD as a clay pidgeon. My 00 buckshot finished it quite nicely. I'm glad I heard about VAST, because they NEVER got played on radio or NTV and they're better than ANYTHING on either of them. Fucking Q101 out of Chicago has turned into the pussiest shit I've ever heard! "What's the dealio", why did they start puffing cock?

Compare any song on Load with any song on Ride The Lightning.

Gimme fuel gimme fire gimme that which I desire?
Oooooooohhhh yeah heah.

Admit it. They suck now. All of their vocals have to rely on the same shitty sound like Michael Jackson did, their riffs aren't even half as good as they used to be, it's like they just now they're going to make millions anyways so they don't even try anymore.

Napster bad.

Dickheads.

As for you, I agree that techno has no place in Doom 3. Industrial, on the other hand, like Fear Factory, would suit the game quite well.

Have you ever heard "Strapping Young Lad"?

Fuck me? Damn me? Sure they've gone a bit soft... ha, way more than a bit laddie.

Why you stick up for them is beyond any logical reasoning.

The music period should either be low ambient sound w/ low bass{ex.PSXDooM}, or boby prince style.

Guest XBTC
SlayeR said:

Hey, F#CK you, man. Metallica have written some of their best songs since AJFA!! Music doesn't have to be fast & heavy to be good, damn you! Sure, they've gone a bit soft since Black, but their songs have got better & better.

And on the topic of techno music in Doom 3, NO FRIGGIN' WAY!
The techno music on the Carmageddon soundtrack totally ruined it, there was kickass Fear Factory, then.. techno?? GAY!!

Sorry I deleted this post....;)

Guest XBTC
deadnail said:

Holy fandago, how the hell did I forget Queen? Or Anthrax? Or Infectious Grooves? Or Amorphis? Or Dream Theater? Or Apocalyptica? Or Rob Zombie?

What about Stabbing Westward, Shotgun Messiah, Type O Negative, 2wo, Orgy, KMFDM, MDFMK, Fear Factory, Johnny Cash, Spinal Tap, Moonspell, Danzig, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, The Rentals, Daft Punk, Queesnryche, Gary Hoey, New Order, One Of 18 Angels, Apoptygma Berzerk, DVDA, Nirvana, Captain Beyond, Touch, Jimmy Buffet, King Crimson, Alan Parsons Project, the Cure?!

What about Larvamind?

And fine, so what if Jimmy Buffet would make Doom too laid back to be exciting, fuck it man, forget the demons, let's get drunk, smoke some hash, and have a nice senorita tattooed on us!

Hi!
I can only completely agree with deadnail....
Metallica was my favorite band for a long time,BUT every album was worse than the one before....I wouldn´t go to a metallica-concert even if it was in my town and free....If you tell me the music got better I can only laugh.Compare tracks from the "Kill ´em all album with tracks on the black album....You´ll notice that the average track on the black album has only half as much different parts as the one on "kill ´em....".That´s called better?The black album has only as much "musical ideas" as one track on "kill ´em all"....And I myself a musician for a long time now and think even if you look at both albums completely objective you´ll have to agree that while black album is still good it is musically not comparable....

P.s.:Doom3 needs redone doom1 tracks and new ones of that style but recorded with "real" instruments....But thats a question of the game....The game needs a music matching the games mood....AND I wanna hear "real" music not such techno\electronic\industrial crap....

Greets,XBTC!

Guest Justininsecure
deadnail said:

What about Larvamind?

You know deadnail, I've agreed with everything you've said so far, but you seem to forget that Fear Factory sold out just like Metallica did. They ruled until they released the Gary Newman "Cars" cover, and went pussy after that. I saw them in concert just before with Zombie and Monster Magnet, they gave out free shit and talked about how they didn't need MTV, and then six months later they're on fucking car comercials. Musically, they're descent, but they're following Metallica down.

And NIN does great gothic ambient, I'd love to see Trent do the sound, BUT model the sound after the levels instead of just randomly making usic like he did for Quake.

Guest mr_camel
XBTC said:

yea metallica was my favband as well, ive got all their cd's (upto load which i only got coz i bought the load boxed set), got about 10 bootlegs, 5 tributes, 1 NZ$300 Mint Jump in the Fire Single on Transparent Red Vinyl, heaps of other shit, but since loadofshit , reload, the fuken symphony bullshit, and now all that shit with napster i really think metallica need to die and go to hell, if they had stopped affter justice they would have looked like fuking legends man! just think about it they would have been respected so much, the best metal band ever, but in the end they had to fuk it up, so fuck them, fuk blink182 fuk britneyspears (litereally ;) ) , fuk all that bullshit under20 something pop groups, actually fuk any pop groups , its a conspiracy by fukin music execvs to put pretty people in a band and advertise the fukin hype out of them give them some lame tune, FUK eiffel65.
soundgarden rulz, fear factory rulz, TOOL rulez, astral projection rulz, the doors rulz, and DOOM3 WILL RULE!!!!!