Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sirgalahadwizar

Editing The New Doom

I wonder what extent of editing ID will let us do to their baby. On Newdoom.com they said that the game will have a built-in editing feature (ex, type doom2000 -editing, or something). Now since all the editors will be in the game already... how far will they let us butcher it?
They also said the coding would be in c++ format in those pesky .dll files :).
Now I think it's cool that we will be able to edit the thing like it had the sourcecode releases with it... but for those of us that can't do a smidgen of coding if our lives depended on it, would we be limited to the crap inside the game (ex. no adding new weapons/attacks/enemies) :(

Guest Int86x

If you don't know c++, don't try and make id do it in something simpler. If you don't know it, go learn it. Its not hard to figure out. Even if you don't know any c, it was very easy in Quake2 to modify, it was very obvious what to modify to change what. C++ is the god language(besides assembly).

I couldn't even learn QuakeC (quake 1 code). The only thing I could change on that was values like health and damage - I could never figure out how to "add" things in - thus no understanding of the code.

Is it just me or is all of this coding getting too complex? I don't ever expect ot learn any type of programming language - I never had any success at Basic and still don't understand it - however basic it is.

If I can't even learn Basic, Javascript, Java, or QuakeC how do I expect to learn Doom3 C++

I guess I don't have a mind for code - the only code im any good at is those ddf files in EDGE and those things are'nt crap compared to the complexity of a coding lauguage like C++.
Im personally pissed that program code can't be easier.

Maybe I should just stick to graphics - oh no, but they will be 3d modells and I'm crap at skinning and models. Hmmmm.... doesn't look like i'll be doing any modifying ever again <sob>.

Let's face it, I suck a level editing, I suck at coding, I suck at modelling&skinning, I suck at music (couldn't play a correct note if my life depended on it), and I suck at sound.
So what is left for me to be able to do - I wont be content just playing the game, I never am with any game.

If I can't do any of that crap, how do I expect to make TC's and
Mods and stuff?

And BTW: I can't learn c++, I've tried too many times, I can't even get close to understanding the primers (and no, I'm not stupid!)

I am Very pissed and Very jealous.

Guest fraggle`

if you cant figure out basic then scripting probably isnt for you

*snigger*

sirgalahadwizar said:

One word- c for dummies. oh alright then 3.

Guest Psycho
sirgalahadwizar said:

//This is a 'hello world c++ program.
#include <iostream.h>
void main()
{
cout << "Hello World!\n";
}

//Now is that too hard?

Guest micpp

10 REM This is in basic so is even easier
20 PRINT "Hello World!"
30 END
40 REM Told you so

Guest Psycho

in QBasic it is
PRINT "Hello, world"

in BATCH files it is
echo. Hello, world

in Vic20Basic (yes I have one) it is
10 pR "Hello, world"

or

10 print "Hello, world"

Psycho said:

//This is a 'hello world c++ program.
#include <iostream.h>
void main()
{
cout << "Hello World!\n";
}

//Now is that too hard?

well... I know what #include <file> means, but have no idea what "void main" or "cout" or that "\n" behind hello world means
or why theres a () after void main, logic suggests that it shouldn't be there at all because there's nothing inside the parenthesis.
and I know // in front of something cancels it out.

I have no idea what "REM" means.

Guest Kaopectate
Int86x said:

If you don't know c++, don't try and make id do it in something simpler. If you don't know it, go learn it. Its not hard to figure out. Even if you don't know any c, it was very easy in Quake2 to modify, it was very obvious what to modify to change what. C++ is the god language(besides assembly).

::smacks Int86x upside the head::

MACHINE CODE is the GOD language....
with assembly a close second...

Guest Kaopectate
Psycho said:

in QBasic it is
PRINT "Hello, world"

in BATCH files it is
echo. Hello, world

in Vic20Basic (yes I have one) it is
10 pR "Hello, world"

or

10 print "Hello, world"

hrm..two lines in all of these. but in assembly it would be like 15..lol

ASSEMBLY ROCKS!!!JAVA SUCKZ!!!!MACHINE CODE IS FOR GODS!!!

fraggle` said:

if you cant figure out basic then scripting probably isnt for you

*snigger*

...still doesn't make me feel any better though.
C for dummies is probably just a glorified primer which probably would'nt catch on too well.

Guest Sir psycho sexy

ahh well sirgalahadwizard you'll jus have to settle with playing the game to death and then fragging worthless souls over the net HAHAHAHAHA