Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epiphany

Stop all this weapon sillyness

Guest Epiphany

Doom was good because it was simple in design and gameplay. By complicating the weapon line up id would just be distracting from what has made (some of) their games so great in the past. Anything other than generic shotguns, rifles, chainguns, etc (especially in their naming) would be forcing Doom to be a game which it is not.

My idea for a weapon set is this...

0) Chainsaw
1) Fists
2) Pistol
3) Double Barrel Shotgun (would render a single barrel useless)
4) Chaingun (or minigun, but the same high fire rate principal)
5) Rocket Launcher
6) Grenade Launcher
7) Plasma Gun
8) Rail Gun (or similar principal)
9) Lightning Gun
10) BFG 9000 (or a new model but old school principal)

Here is the nice, simple generic weapon set which id pioneered in the first place. I have nothing against secondary fire modes for those who want some fresh attack methods, but why cheapen a proven formula by trying to make Doom a Goldeneye, Half Life or Deus Ex?

First of all, the regular shotgun was not useless at all. It was good for ducking behind a corner, coming out, taking out a couple guys, hiding in the corner, fast reload, and repeat. The double barrels weakness was its slow reload, which is something that should effect the double barrel more in doom3 so the two shotguns are balanced even better.

Railgun would not fit in Doom, *UNLESS* it had a different principle than the Quake's railgun. A railgun is fun in deathmatch, but Doom was about getting close and personal with your enemy and splattering their brains. Why ruin that by having the ability to instantly shoot down someone from afar?

And why a lightning gun? Again, good weapon for deathmatch, but it would be totally gay in Doom3. It would render using a chainsaw completely useless (A weapon I want to use more in DooM), and again, how Doomish is it to be able to instantly fry someone from a good distance? And how many futuristic marines would you see pulling out a lightning gun? I just think that would be silly

Also, the great thing about all the weapons (besides the pistol) is all the weapons have the potential to leave really messy corpses on the ground when you're done with 'em. So why not keep 'em all?

The entire old arsenal, even the fists, need to stay. The railgun and the lighting gun would be the worst additions to put in the new Doom game. Now THAT wouldn't be doom

I'm all for a grenade launcher though:)

Guest DeAD_Stuff

AGAIN THAT WEEAPON? MAN I AM SICK OF THAT WEAPONS ID GAVE THESE FROM 6 year now!!!!!!!!!! if i see again that weapon in another game, i am gonna vomit. i WANT NEW WEAPON SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest inferno

yea i understand what you mean about the same weapons and how to keep them simple, but you have to remember this game is set in the future so in real life we expect those weapons to improved and updated

DeAD_Stuff said:

AGAIN THAT WEEAPON? MAN I AM SICK OF THAT WEAPONS ID GAVE THESE FROM 6 year now!!!!!!!!!! if i see again that weapon in another game, i am gonna vomit. i WANT NEW WEAPON SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, nothing we do or say here is going to affect ID's decision. Their weapons choices are *probably* already made anyways.

I hate the railgun too. If there's a sniper weapon it should be a magnum pistol with zero magnification on it, even that might be a bit too much for Doom.

Relax. Take a deep breath. Lay off the Caps Lock.

We all want new 'weapon shit', but really, what weapon shit haven't we seen already in the hundreds of Doom-inspired games?

Just look at Turok 2, that game had a beautiful arsenal! Anyone here remember the 'Cerebral Bore'? Damn that thing was sweet!

...The lightning gun is silly, it's more like one of thoz guns you would see in a grunge/futuristic movie that's built by hand.

*If there is a shotgun/double shotgun (which there better be damit!), then it shold not have the capability to mow down a whole row of troopers (like in map03 with the double barrel).
It should only have a penitration effect at point-blank range and really go to hell after the exit wound (2 guys/max).

*Rail-gun sucks, instead the plasma gun should shoot much faster projectiles (excuse my example, but they should be comporable to having a speed of 60 on doom's speed scale, it's 25 right now).

That way it *is* possible to dodge a blast after you see it come out of the barrel, but much harder than before (increases the range on this weapon). In a way this would pretty much make-up for the effect of the lightning gun too(after all, lightning is a form of plasma).

Guest Sabreclaw
deadnail said:

First of all, nothing we do or say here is going to affect ID's decision. Their weapons choices are *probably* already made anyways.

I hate the railgun too. If there's a sniper weapon it should be a magnum pistol with zero magnification on it, even that might be a bit too much for Doom.

Relax. Take a deep breath. Lay off the Caps Lock.

We all want new 'weapon shit', but really, what weapon shit haven't we seen already in the hundreds of Doom-inspired games?

Just look at Turok 2, that game had a beautiful arsenal! Anyone here remember the 'Cerebral Bore'? Damn that thing was sweet!

Cerebral Bore rocked ass. Sucked when playing with infinate ammo though...'specially when getting attacked by it.

And it's true that we really wont affect ID's decision on weapons. But I hope they understand that using the same old game-play formula isn't going to work as well. An example would be Q3 Arena. It wasn't as successfull as Unreal Tournament because ID follwed the same DM formula. It gets boring sometimes. Everyone's suggestions is a growing testament to the shrinking popularity of ID's "formula."

Some big change must be coming if ID is making it behind closed doors. The same way 3D Realms is making Duke Forever. It's a great way to make sales if nobody knows what the game is like until it comes out.

What their weapons will be like, who knows. And honestly, no matter what I'd want/not want to be in the game, I'll still buy it. Because it's DooM. And it would take a major screw up to make me dislike the game also. (kinda like what Square did to the Seiken Densetsu series)

Guest Epiphany
tawney said:

I agree with some of your points but don't forget that Doom 3 will have a deathmatch mode indefinatly and hense some weapons what only suit deathmatch will need to be included to make it compeate with id previous deathmatch only style fps games. Perhaps a rail and lightning gun could only be avaliable in deathmatch Doom 3 games along with deathmatch only items. In my opinion the ultimate game would be one with dozens of weapons from which deathmatch games could choose a limited arsenal from. This would make for different style deathmatchs under different conditions.

Guest Sabreclaw
deadnail said:

I liked Legend of Mana, dammit! I still play it!

Dont get me wrong, Im playing it on the harder levels now. I love it to, nice to see they brought back the hand-drawn sprites. But I think the third was better and still should have been brought to the U.S.

Guest Sethsez

I'm just happy they FINALLY came out with a sequal to Chrono Trigger (even though it has nothing in common with the first).
Christ, this has gotten off topic!