Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

What did I say...

For starters, I would like to get the entire "DOOM 3" nonsense out of the way. Whatever the new Doom is, it is most likely not any identifiable "sequel" to the original. Consider the fact that DoomII was extremely similar to the first Doom (as its primary intent was to create a version of Doom that could be sold at retail), and the "Final Doom" pack was created shortly after DoomII's release. Now, consider the environment that will likely be created by a 3D engine a power beyond what QuakeIIIArena currently exhibits. A "sequel" is hardly the term for such a game.

I agree, the use of the term "DooM 3" just stands for the upcoming project from iD.

If you ask me, I will say that "the next incarnation of DooM" (I will stick with DooM3, I believe) will completely forget the storyline of DooM 1 & 2, to become a newer image of the same conflict.

Why? because, let´s put it straight, originals DooM storylines were just crap, an excuse to blast imps with your shotgun. It would be VERY hard to create a compelling single-player experience taking as infrastructure the events of D1&2.

I really don´t know for sure. In which way was Strogg war Quake2 a sequel to occult Quake1? In which way are the Quake Series (including Quake 3 Arena) related to Doom (remember weaponry, remember the enemies)?
A new 3D engine is able to create either a new and better Doom or to create a completely new (but also great)game, which is just very loosely related to original Doom, like Q2 to Q1. But why then they would call it "Doom" instead of Quake4?