Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tetzlaff

Help needed from Deadnail & other wpn experts

I´m trying to design my own Doom-weapon suggestions, and therefore I need some special information about some details. Would be nice if you could help me.

1)Shotguns. -Do double barrel side-by-side pump action shotguns exist? How would the pump action mechanism work? What else would be a good reload mechanism for a db shotgun?
-Is it possible to shoot shrapnell shells with a (big caliber) shotgun, having the spray effect of Unreal Tournament´s Flak Cannon?

2) Minigun. -What is the best distance between the 2 handles (one joy-stick-like handle with trigger on the back side, one left hand handle above the barrels)?
-How do you carry a minigun? Beneath your hip or higher?

3) Rocketlauncher. -Is it possible to have a rocketlauncher with fairly high rate of fire (like original Doom rl), is there no heat problem?
-Is it possibible to construct Quake3/Doom-style rocketlaunchers, which aren´t like a bazooka pipe, but closed on the back end? Again, no heat problems?

...to the best of my knowledge.

1) Yes, they do exist. There is an ejection port on the top left and top right over the trigger. Following this simple example, it wouldn't be too difficult to make an autoloading db side-by-side shotgun, although the price of manufacturing would break into the $3000 range. I've seen pump action double barrelled shotguns on sale before for $1200, so they do cost four times as much.
As for shrapnel shells, yes, it's very possible and rather easy to do. Take a 20 gauge shotgun shell. Pry it open and remove the pellets. Stuff it up with nickles instead. There ya go, your 'flak cannon'. Just one problem: It will DESTROY the barrel of the gun and every shot makes it one shot closer to exploding in your hands. Don't try this at home, kids, unless you want to relearn typing for 7 fingers.

2) I do not know gun measurements or dimensions. I'll take a wild guess and say between one and two feet. Just remember that a GE Minigun is attached to your back by crane so you don't really support it's weight or kickback. A good practice would be to coast it right around your hip level (Think Jesse Ventura in Predator) so you can tilt it higher or lower.

3) Yes. However, having it and not mounted to the ground... no. They still use single shot RPGs in the military, although they usually use up the tank mounted munitions first for troop safety.
For the heat problem, look at the example of Half-Life. I don't believe there is a serious heat problem but I may be mistaken. As far as I know you can stuff rockets in the tip and fire them off all day long.
As for the Q rocket launchers... pure fiction. Just like the humongous BFG. If they did exist they would have a heat problem unless they had an extreme cooling measure built in.

That all?
C'mon, ask me some more.

Thanks! Cool, I thought a db pump action shotgun would be not working well. But then there is the "pump grip" arround a third magazine barrel under the 2 barrels, and you reload a shell for each barrel with a single pump? Or are there 2 magazine barrels as well?
Concerning the shrapnel shells destroying the barrels and a needed cooling system for a Quake-style rocketlauncher it is no problem for me, I just want the weapons not to be too unrealistic, but imagine future materials and technology it would work very well in a game like Doom III. So I will add some sort of "cooling system" to the rocketlauncher design.
Ok, I just will ask you if further questions arise.

Okay, picture a standard Benelli or Maussberg pump action shotgun. The magazine is under the barrel. Now try to picture one with two barrels. The ejection ports aren't in the sides but higher, over the corners. There are two tubular magazines, each one under the barrel it feeds. To reload you need to refill each magazine. One pump ejects both shells in the chambers and reloads both as well.

If you really want to see it, then play Turok 2 for N64. The shotgun in that is REALLY well designed, if it just didn't swaggle left and right so much!

Oh well, small complaint. ^_^

Shotguns:
Hmmm... don't know of any that exist in real life but it could be done quite effectivly. Hey, Quake2 had it so im not one to contend.
*Although I would prefer a barrel-under barrel setup since it would do more damage (less side-side spread, more shot goes straight forward, does have a vertical spread but that doesn't really matter).

Minigun:
About 2.5 feet would be a good distance.
On the side of your hip because that's where you would brace yourself more effectivly (any higher and it will tip you over, lower and it will make you drop it).
I think the minigun on shadow warrior was the best realistic one I have seen (and Quake2's the most un-realistic).
You can see the one im talking about on the edge PC "Immoral Conduct" (it's on the #7 key).

Rockets:
Yes, it would have a clip or be chain-fed (like Q2's). Would probably be semi-automatic or pump-ation and the ammo would be about 30mm - 40mm in size (much smaller than the way doom's rockets looked).
*There is no problem with heat as long as there's an exhaust port somewhere, just remember the longer it takes for the exhaust to leave the weapon, the longer it will be accelerated backwards (ludicrous kick vs. little kick).
So put the hole about mid-way down the barrel and have a pipe extend to the back (so you don't burn yourself).
*Should probably be under-arm or shoulder fired.

Grenade Launchers:
*Must* Have a closed end - period. They only have a heat problem if it's fully automatic, same with rockets.

Guest Intestinalworm

Shadow warrior had no mini-gun it had a four round burst shotgun

sirgalahadwizar said:

Pump action double barrelled shotguns do exist. I've seen them, never fired one. Although Quake 2 had one, the animations truly sucked. He barely even pumps it.

As for the barrel placement, I was just thinking about that as I tried to get some sleep. PS, I didn't work.

Anyway... how would the over-under barrel alignment work with the tubular magazines that need to be as long as the barrels themselves? Would it look like this (facing down the barrels)?
O0\
O0/             (I suck at ASCII)
||
With a sideways slide? Would both shells be ejected from the right side of the weapon? I know that side-by-side db shotguns are primarily birdguns (shot everywhere = falling mallard), but how would you make an efficient pump action over-under? Clips instead of tubular magazines? So long as it's going to be a military shotgun, what about drums?

My idea for the 'perfect' military combat over-under db shotgun would be like this. First of all, Benelli would have to use their brillian M3 design so it can be utilized either with pump action or recoil semi-auto. The stock and base of the weapon would resemble a bullpup assault rifle -- lightweight and easy in the kickback. The ejection ports would be stacked on the right hand side; projecting from the left hand side would be a magazine that has two tubes in it, feeding both chambers with shells at the same time. The pump mechanism would glide around both barrels, with a pistol grip hanging from the bottom.

Should I draw, scan, and give you an idea of what I mean?

As for miniguns just remember that the kick and weight of the weapon is supported by crane. The 'minigun' in Shadow Warrior was a 'riot gun', a four-barrelled belt-fed shotgun. It was kinda cool, I especially liked how the strap appeared to really wrap around your shoulder. Quake 2's was retarded. That thing would kill Schwartzeneggar if he tried to shoot it.

I appreciate your commentary on rockets. I'm not too familiar with them so thanks for filling in the blanks, bucko.

I have seen rotary grenade launchers (like riot cops or that one guy in "Predator"). They're basically BIGASS revolvers. What I don't know is if you reload the chambers manually or if you just pop out the drum and replace it...?

sirgalahadwizar said:

No over-under barrels because: I just love the side-by-side look, more horizontal spread is needed because of enemy crowds, Doom2 also had it side-by-side, and the 2 shotguns from my suggestions should look different.
Rocketlauncher under-arm would be okay, but maybe also with a stock at the end for a better aiming. Defenitly not shoulder-fired, this is too average and not Doom-style :)
I never noticed that the Q2 super shotgun was a pump action. The flat "box" beneath the barrels then is holding two rows of shells for each barrel?

deadnail said:

A scanned drawing of what you mean would be very nice!
I also thought about a drum magazine, because it maybe would look good with the double barrel and there is yet no drum on my other weapon designs.
But: never call it a bird gun! :)

Tetzlaff said:

No over-under barrels because: I just love the side-by-side look, more horizontal spread is needed because of enemy crowds, Doom2 also had it side-by-side, and the 2 shotguns from my suggestions should look different.
Rocketlauncher under-arm would be okay, but maybe also with a stock at the end for a better aiming. Defenitly not shoulder-fired, this is too average and not Doom-style :)
I never noticed that the Q2 super shotgun was a pump action. The flat "box" beneath the barrels then is holding two rows of shells for each barrel?

Helloooo-hooo!