Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Doom 3 Engine Ideas

After seeing the new unreal tech(new outdoor terain support for hardware T&L,3700 polygons model,40 bones only in a head,full support for T&L and for Nvidia Cards,No software mode etc.... if u want more information go to www.voodooextreme.com to unreal 2 technology page.
Anyway I wonder after seeing this tech what will Carmack's next engine left to do anymore!
Only if it will offer something like 40000-50000 polygons on characters and FULLY DYNAMIC LIGHTS FROM ALL SOURSES!
There is nothing left to revolutinize!

Guest TossMonkey

Are you a moron or a newbie? I will try not to offend you and call you a moron. Now, What else is there left to revolutionise? hmm let me see...... the graphics? the new unreal engine graphics are good but, did you look at the faces? well they look stupid for a start, the expressions are stupid!! there are no shadows under the characters feet!! they dont look like they have been lit properly!! now is this the kind of technology you want?? not really. You want new tech? how about player shadowing? we never see shadows on the characters do we? this is totally unrealistic!! also shadow shape. No-one has a circular shadow now do they? apart from pac-man!! reflective surfaces. some guns and other surfaces might be shiny surfaces correct? well we never see guns which reflect our surroundings!! The game will most definatly be photo-realistic. Is the unreal engine photo-realistic? no. So aslong as the games dont feature realistic graphics there is plenty to revolutionise. Nuff said.

Guest MaNMoWeR

TossMonkey is absolutely totally right! Whoever says there are no new things that can be done is not thinking. What about realistic explosions that are calculated in realtime and react realisticly to their surroundings!! Ever thought of that? That's one idea to TossMonkey's ideas and i'm sure there are Doomers that have other good ideas.

There is plenty to do yet. Imagine, no engine has meet the reality, and you could easily see that our reality isn´t exactly the limit, push more the forces of nature and you´ll have plenty more to do.

But, were gonna have to wait like 2 centuries maybe for a highly detailed channel of information DIRECTLY to the brain for that.

Instead, if you fix your ideas to a year like 2002-2003, and put Carmack as a programmer, you´ll get one hell of a experience.
Look at iD´s history, DooM Engine was revolutionary, Quake Engine was FAR superior than BUILD. When Quake2 came out, it lost the battle against the Unreal Engine (but hey, they were developing it like for 4 years). And now, look at Q3A engine, that´s the sweetest thing i ever saw. UT engine is nothing more than crap if we look it from this point.
Now, the new Unreal Technology is an upgrade of the original one, patching all its bugs, fixing every time-consuming useless line of code. You were amazed by that, DooM3 will be started from scratch, wich results in a full support of the new technology & hardware, redesigned subsystems and a good example of what iD has learned since Quake.

We still have to wait many months to see this engine in action, so, we can only dream about its features.

I´m 99% sure that DooM3 engine will provide to us :

1. Real bump-mapping using T&L hardware
2. Parametric NURBS on models
3. Physique-type Skeletal animation
4. EAX 3.0 or above
5. Real time lightning (no more lightmaps)
6. Reaction normals on level´s surfaces for realistic collisions between brushes vs brushes, and brushes vs models
7. Some GHOUL like tech
8. Raytraced NURBS for brushes
9. Self shadowing in models
10. Detail texturing over models (bump-mapping will be overwhelming)

That´s sound like a dream to me. Obviously, multiply by some big number the amount of polys on scene and the result is a hell of a engine. AND, like that wasn´t enough, iD is changing it´s engine licensing rules, so you´ll be flooded with many new titles making use of this power.

Wow!! Cool!! Thx for the explanaition!
By the way did anyone play Startrek Voyager Elite Force??
Holy Shit!! This game is amazing!!
Best Use Of Quake 3 engine yet!!

Zaldron said:

It would be also nice if the characters in Doom 3 will have their hair moving realistically and not a hair that is like a fucking paint! like in Startrek Voyager Elite Force

Guest Ragnus
Zaldron said:

I would really like to se NURBS in Doom3. But I think it's impossible to use it in a game. Not with the hardware we have today, not the hardware se have when Doom3 is released either. But we'll see...

I think one of the BEST things to put in the new engine is Anti-Aliasing. If they could incorporate this into it, man its gonna look sooo real.