Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

for doom purest

well i have gone retro and am enjoying the orignal doom ports in the original OS. v1.9 in MS-DOS 6.22. anyway it is the way i remeber it and it is still fun. however i found the baddies to be much more of a push over in the original exe's. yes even in nightmare. so i am asking has there been changes to monster speed or monster AI in recent ports. i usally use zdoom and legacy, as well as boom and edge

I don't think there have been any changes, though it may be possible that
in Windows the games internal AI code executes quicker, allowing the monsters
to react faster, though I have no idea. I am not a DOS programmer.

The lack of all those fancy features may also just be allowing to
immerse yourself deeper into the game so that you get sort of zoned
out and concentrate more on the game. I found the game was much easier
to play when I wasn't thinking about "Oh, that Sidedef's upper texture
should have been unpegged!" When I was just playing the game.
It could be a similar situation here.

You might also just be getting better at Doom. ;)

VolteFace said:

You might also just be getting better at Doom. ;)

Don't you mean worse? ;)

Shaviro said:

i found the baddies to be much more of a push over in the original exe's

I am confused. :\ He is saying that he has gone back to playing in the
original EXEs and that the monsters seem easier? Or they were easy
before and now they are harder?

Bah.

He says it's easier to kill them in Doom2.exe than in , say, zdoom.exe, he also cannot spell purist

Ct_red_pants said:

Geez. ever since i got my new PC I havent even touched doom\2.exe.

Shame on you! You should be demoted!

VolteFace said:

I am confused. :\ He is saying that he has gone back to playing in the
original EXEs and that the monsters seem easier? Or they were easy
before and now they are harder?

And when did i say that in your quote?

I can't even find my doom/2.exe's anymore, I don't know what happened to them. I might eventually reinstall them.

GooberMan said:

I can't even find my doom/2.exe's anymore, I don't know what happened to them. I might eventually reinstall them.

heh. I play vanilla doom VERY rarely. I don't see why i should. Zdoom is better in every aspect, imo.

Shaviro said:
heh. I play vanilla doom VERY rarely. I don't see why i should. Zdoom is better in every aspect, imo.

My sentiments exactly!
Oh good. I don't feel like such an outcast now.

heh, the only reason I got back into Doom is because of the new ports... If it werent for Jdoom, I would be playing nothing but Unreal 1 single player.

I don't know why some people still prefer Zdoom over Jdoom... Jdoom has so much more than Zdoom. Not to mention Sky Jake is always working his hardest to bring out newer versions. The 3d models look very very good now if any one has seen then lately... The zombies even have multiple faces like in Unreal Tournament. In the newest version, really cool smoke trails have been added in for the rockets (much better smoke trails than the ones in Zdoom) The smoke is actually real looking. The last version released also added particles for everything, including blood, fire on the fireballs, etc.

I could go on forever, but I think you guys should just go to the Jdoom site and see for yourself.

yes but zdoom has features that are actually useful rather than a bunch of cosmetic crap.

jdoom = teh noob port

I have an old, crappy computer on which JDoom will run incredibly. I am
comfortable with ZDoom, and sometimes I do use doom(2).exe. When I
do my testing of levels throughout development, I use doom2.exe; it
loads so much faster, and you can actually make sure there aren't any
bugs that affect only the original EXE (like at the end of INDUSTRL.WAD,
where you can't get to the exit because of the torch or whatever it is
that blocks you).

When I play levels just to play them, then I use ZDoom.

darknation said:

yes but zdoom has features that are actually useful rather than a bunch of cosmetic crap.

jdoom = teh noob port

Word. To the letter.

JDoom is all very cool, but Doom purists like myself see it as a step too far.

I love zdoom but that's like the limit I'd go from doom.exe

i think the enemies are harder in the doom ports because of the fact that the doom code has been cleaned up quite abit. also i am sure in ports like zdoom AI codes may have been redone or atleast modified. also the code can be run faster becuase i am useing a faster pIII instead of a 486. i just completed the whole game in like 35 minutes total. i know it aint a speed record but it usally takes me( with zdoom) about 10 minutes later. episode 3 & 4 can be a bitch. rest is a breeze, even much of 3 and some of 4

Situations with lots of flying monsters are considerably less hairy in Zdoom since they tend to get stuck in eachother due to a bug. Sometimes cacodemons also get epileptic seizures.

The only thing I don't like about Zdoom is the rocket behavior seems to have been modified to be worse from DOOM.exe. Correct me if I'm wrong. I use zdoom 1.22

Hellbent said:

The only thing I don't like about Zdoom is the rocket behavior seems to have been modified to be worse from DOOM.exe. Correct me if I'm wrong. I use zdoom 1.22

afaik, randy changed it back in the later betas...

AFAIK the rocket damage thing was to do with square vs. circular radius or something.

Shaviro said:

And JDOOM has a 1cm thick black line around the sprites. ;)

I think there's an option to deactivate that.

Guest NIGHTHAZZARD

legacy is the best, stays true-est to the original sprites, all the others make everything "fat" or bloated or "pastey" or something.

pritch said:

JDoom is all very cool, but Doom purists like myself see it as a step too far.

See, I don't see that. Anything that improves the technology while still maintaining the fast and furious gameplay that made it incredible in the first place is great by me.

That, actually, is one reason why I don't like ZDoom. The features that I enjoy from other ports, like mouselook and jumping, are done too poorly in ZDoom to seem even remotely realistic.

DC