Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zaldron

Increasing the fear effect

The other day I was playing loose levels in SoF jumping with the command "map", and I remembered how scared was I when playing the whole single-player game. There´s no scary stuff in SoF, and still, jumped when someone touched my shoulder.
This feature was bashed in many, many games, but because of the simplicity to code it, it would be a nice addition to DooM3.
I´m talking of limited savegames. I played SoF in Custom difficulty, making it as hard as possible without getting ridiculous. I selected 2 savegames per level, and that was the key factor. With some more saves to spare, I would ended the game in 1/3 of the actual time, but it wouldn´t be so fun.

For example, take this example of an average player :

1. Great Hero of the Universe turns around the corner and found some mean looking guy, after the battle, player looses 10% of his life. What he do? carry on? no, he loads the game to beat the monster without harm. Repeat until final boss.

2. Great Hero of the Universe gets to a dark room with menacing sounds. He rush in, finds the exact location of every monster & their numbers. Load the game, and just throw some well placed grenades in the exact corners.

This kind of play make me sick, and surely you guys too. Instead, put for example, 2 savegames per level.

1. Marine turns around the corner and fall in an Imp ambush, he wins, but loosing 85% of his life. He can´t load, it was waaay long ago that he used his last savegame. So he continue its path, walking slowly, paying special attention to his surrounding.

2. Marine finds some dark filled-up room, does he dare enter? One error, and he must start the level from the beggining. May he spend one of his precious saves in this place? Who knows how far is the exit.

This add a new dimension to the game. Not only you are scared about the cool monsters and scripts, but also about your LIFE.

Many people hate this feature, but I would really enjoy more DooM3. If you make this feature range from 0 to unlimited savegames, you can have everybody happy.

By the way, Linguica, if you are reading this, when my new pic is gonna be up?

Well. Those savegames should be UNLIMITED!

There's nothing more iritating than the 1 savegame left!

And maybe 100 monsters to go!

OK, is there actually a point to this? You know, you do have a choice about whether to save or not, nobody is forcing you to. It's like saying, "I don't like cheating so I don't think there should be cheat codes in Doom 3."

I already thought of that. It´s like the people that forces themselves to finish DooM 1&2 only with the pistol. The main reason that drove me to write this message was to have a rough approximation of how many people here find in limited savegames a form of enhancing the game.
In my personal opinion, ALL games should be limited in this aspect, because who can´t finish a game with unlimited chances to pass every single step?

Guest Space Tomato

The number of saved games you get should depend on what skill you play on, and there should be a way to get unlimited like a cheat.

Shaviro said:

Well. Those savegames should be UNLIMITED!

There's nothing more iritating than the 1 savegame left!

And maybe 100 monsters to go!

I don't think it should be on a per-game aspect as much as a per-level or per-area (a few levels, and not a hub).

Maybe on the toughest difficulty you have 2 saves per area (an area being equivalent to about the three or four levels in a certian place - like the industrial complex area could have the factory, the toxic waste facility, and the junk-yard).

This is one of those challenges for those ppl who like to currently play on nightmare and set records (not me, I don't care about records).
Because someone could enable the cheats and play the whole game through - even the different paths and learn where all the monsters and powerups are.
*possible counteract - use the random monster generator functiion mentioned in previous posts (have upwards of 500 spawn spots randomly selected to generate about 100 monsters, mindful level editing keeps these in check though). The monsters are never in the same configuration twice!

I urge you all to try a quake1 addon called nehahra (planetquake.com/nehahra). In this mod, you can find "Ressurection artifacts" that you can activate after you die to rise again, then you will be invulnerable for a few secs and everything is back to normal. You had the normal unlimited saves there too, but it's a good idea!

I agree, unlimited saves are gay. ANY fucking looser can do ANY doom map or quake map or whatever with unlimited saves, it's just a matter of time... they should be urged to turn down the difficulty instead, and the game should have difficulty levels that's low enough for anyone.

Hell, yeah! Limited saves add a lot more to the game than people give it credit for. The only game I have played enableing this function was AvP, but it made me rethink my whole way of playing. This option, at least on the higher difficulty levels would be great, and it would let beating the game on Nightmare have some meaning to it.

Guest Nuno Correia
sirgalahadwizar said:

I don't think it should be on a per-game aspect as much as a per-level or per-area (a few levels, and not a hub).

Maybe on the toughest difficulty you have 2 saves per area (an area being equivalent to about the three or four levels in a certian place - like the industrial complex area could have the factory, the toxic waste facility, and the junk-yard).

This is one of those challenges for those ppl who like to currently play on nightmare and set records (not me, I don't care about records).
Because someone could enable the cheats and play the whole game through - even the different paths and learn where all the monsters and powerups are.
*possible counteract - use the random monster generator functiion mentioned in previous posts (have upwards of 500 spawn spots randomly selected to generate about 100 monsters, mindful level editing keeps these in check though). The monsters are never in the same configuration twice!

I hope id Software's staff isn't reading this. What if they actually include some of the ideas being posted here? Do you want this new Doom to be worst than Dai- *gasp* -katana?

Nuno Correia said:

Do you want this new Doom to be worst than Dai- *gasp* -katana?

Is that really possible? This is Doom we are talking about. We are the only ones who can make Doom bad for ourselves by building up a perfect (impossible) vision of wha it should be.

Guest Moderator

The thing that scared me the most about Doom was the sounds. I'm not saying I'm a wuss or anything, but that soundtrack was horribly evil. That, combined with the scary sounds that only a psycho could have thought up really kept me on edge. Sounds play a larger role than most people think in action games. Games like Quake and Duke Nukem 3d were boring because the sounds were only mediocre (and very predictable). Get Cradle of Filth to write music for this game, and utilize 3D sound in the effects. Scare the shit out of people.