Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest elend

Doom ]I[ - Will it be the same?

Guest elend

I'm afraid that Doom ]I[ will not be the same as Doom Episode I was. I think not only the Graphical Design will change, also the Gameplay will differ a lot from Doom I. I think iD will move back from the old Original "To Ride and Shoot Straight" gameplay to a whimpy "More Puzzles and less monsters" gameplay.
I mean, DOOM Episode I is the ONLY Game, which featured hundreds of monsters, which you could blast away with a single shot. EVERY other 3D First Person Shooter featured some bad ass enemys which required at least 5-7 shots. I hate that. I want to ride through the levels and blast everything away and move on immediately. In Unreal for example you have to fight approx. 2-4 minutes for ONE single enemy. No Boss nor special midboss...
And I hope the graphical design will be like in Doom Episode I.

Having real hordes of enemies is typical for Doom, and it´s very sure that they will bring back the hundreds of monsters. Not "more puzzles - less monsters", but hopefully "enhanced action - manny different monsters".

No, it will not, and that´s his most powerfull feature. FPS that promises nothing more than hundreds of enemies are forgotten for good. You just can´t revive DooM in its classical way, that kind of experience become boring some years ago.
Instead, if you take from the DooM world (not the webpage) the primary design, the fear effect that have proved to be a SP enhancer and it´s devil scheme, and combine it with top storyline, impressive graphics and genre-evolving features that are a MUST these days, then you can develop a game that will remembered trought entertainment history.
What you mean about "iD is moving back"??? whimpy "More Puzzles and less monsters"???? The progress comes in the form of puzzle-solving. Maybe you have a bad interpretation of that, i´m not talking of keys, buttons, valves or any other kind of stupid event triggering. I´m talking of crucial desicions in matter of seconds, of advanced interaction with the enviroment, choices that bend the mainframe of the game, that kind of things.
You´ll never see as many enemies like in DooM, that´s not a bad thing however. I prefer a LOT MORE some demons that can dodge and jump in a smart way, instead of no-AI stupid hordes with useless slow attacks. Remember the Imp? think now about the Fiend in Quake1, that guy was harder than ten imps at the same time. Think now in a Alien from AvP, that´s even more difficult than a Fiend. We have to keep improving AI that kind of way, even faster, too sad that many games do not offer compelling AIs.
No matter what, this is DooM, so you´ll see many enemies at a time, not as much in older games, but their reactions will be enough to make the experience more inmersive. There are many, many great ideas here about the monsters, and all of them are focused on an advanced behavior.

"I want to ride through the levels and blast everything away and move on"

then keep playing old games, look at gaming news, that´s a prehistoric concept. I agree about Unreal, those enemies were excessive. But that´s because Unreal weapons are crap, never packed serious damage as Quake ones.

"And I hope the graphical design will be like in Doom Episode I"

What that means?? you want useless-no functional labs and headquarters? Or you want the engine to be 2.5D?? maybe sprites?

Some people here will not understand this point of view. I have an experiment for them. Buy some story-less FPS. Play it to the end. Was it as good as DooM? no, and that´s because we all have such a great memory about the early days of DooM, that we sometimes mix quality with quality from other decade.

Guest elend
Tetzlaff said:

Having real hordes of enemies is typical for Doom, and it´s very sure that they will bring back the hundreds of monsters. Not "more puzzles - less monsters", but hopefully "enhanced action - manny different monsters".

Hmm... well... Why must everything evolve??? Aren't we playing Doom again and again, because it's pure fun? Why must id make a groundbreaking, never before seen Game? The games which make most fun, are games which are very simple in gameplay. No Monster AI which is equal or even higher than your IQ, no hard decisions in seconds to make... Just plain fun. Those are the games which will be remembered.

And with Graphical Design, I did not mean that id should use Sprites again. Hell no.. I mean the Graphical Design in general, not the Graphic technologies like 8 Bit and 320 x 240. The Graphical design of a Spaceport in (guess) space invaded and overtaken by evil demons from past... or something.. :P

I hope Doom III will remind me of the good old Doom - Knee Deep In The Dead.

First than all, im not playing DooM anymore. Frankly, it became boring (at least to me). This must sound heretic to many people here, but if they´re here, that means that they seek something new to do, and what´s better than a sequel of one of their most beloved games.
About the path that iD must follow. Carmack say that DooM3 is single player focused, if the only thing you want to do is kill, then go and play Q3A. That´s a SP that made me laugh. Do you want DooM3 to be like the older DooMs? Hell, no! that would be equal to completely trash one of the most influential franchises in the world. Yes, the world, DooM meant a big leap in how Computer Technologies evolved and evolves.
Look at all the games that are about to come out, look what they promise. Doom3 will ship like in 1.5 years, maybe later, than those.
Do you really think a remix of DooM could live up that with competition?? You want the game to be fun, me too. But how it is archieved is the main problem. Making weirdo levels and spraying lots of enemies everywhere isn´t today´s way to make cool stuff.
If Doom3 mantains the SAME line than other DooMs, then it will be awfully bashed by the community and the reviewers. Hardcore fans would like the game, but that´s all.

You talk of games that will be remembered, so, what the hell you think these things are:
Baldur´s Gate I&II, Final Fantasy, Half-Life, Deus Ex, System Shock 1&2, Thief 1&2, and many, many other franchises.

About my IQ, say whatever you want. To me you´re just some 32-bit packets that cruised through 20 nodes to get to my machine, millions have come too. What I´m really worried it´s about your attitude, that kind of thinking will ruin the game.
If DooM3 become what you want, look at the Inet community reactions, you´ll see I´m right.

elend said:

Hmm... well... Why must everything evolve??? Aren't we playing Doom again and again, because it's pure fun? Why must id make a groundbreaking, never before seen Game? The games which make most fun, are games which are very simple in gameplay. No Monster AI which is equal or even higher than your IQ, no hard decisions in seconds to make... Just plain fun. Those are the games which will be remembered.

And with Graphical Design, I did not mean that id should use Sprites again. Hell no.. I mean the Graphical Design in general, not the Graphic technologies like 8 Bit and 320 x 240. The Graphical design of a Spaceport in (guess) space invaded and overtaken by evil demons from past... or something.. :P

I hope Doom III will remind me of the good old Doom - Knee Deep In The Dead.

Yes, I also play the old Dooms again and again, but that´s no reason to make the new Doom just the same. Doom was a never seen before game, and if the new Doom wouldn´t be a never seen before game it wouldn´t reach his own level.
There never will be a monster with a higher IQ than a humans... :) But seriousely, I think it would be very fun to have a good mix of dump monsters and skilled enemies. For examples: Hordes of stupid easy frag zombies, hordes of team working, but weak imps, very skilled multiplayer-bot-like enemies as level bosses.

Zaldron said:

Hey Quake 3 Arena isn´t a Singleplayer, it´s a Multiplayer game and it´s great! My favorite Multiplayer!

Hey, mine too. But the "single-player" campaign it´s something very primitive. It´s fun, yes, but I played it like for 2 days, and that´s it. If you´re playing offline, there´s a lot more to do.