Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

A Doom 3 topic not raised before!

Okay, here's something I don't think anyone has talked about much yet. What kind of things do you want to be able to do in terms of editing? Any specific scenarios you'd like to implement in a level (like the keypad example in my previous topic)?

Myself, I'm drooling over the possibilities, although I really hope editing for Doom 3 is much easier than it is for the Quakes.

I wish I didn't need four college degrees just to make a big box with an ammo in it that didn't crash the game every time I tried to make it! That'd be a welcome change!

What about some sort of nice, pretty, INTUITIVE introduction for God's sake? From what I've seen, the simplest tutorial begins with, "Okay, first of all, create an eight point vector with the new brush button and then realign all of the textures with the graphic tool, finally add a new light source, bright 50%, and put it at x150, y200, z0." Dear God, I can make levels in Duke 3D. Why? They told me how. :)

So that's the big thing I want in the built-in editor. What else do I want? I want it to DO LIKE I TOLD IT TO. Jeebus, it drives me insane that half of the detail things I try to do as far as adding brushes to represent pipes or change textures seem to either crash the editor or do something completely retarded. I remember one time I tried to shift a texture and the whole damn brush ended up jumping back five feet through the wall and no matter what the hell I did I couldn't get it back. Yikes. How quickly were these damn programs written, fifteen minutes?!

Don't even get me started about how lurfy Build is. I can make a skyscraper level with 50 aliens in it quicker if I just set out a search light and contracted the damn thing! Every time I add a new inside sector with the red walls half of the textures on it tend to disappear for no real reason. Oh, and it also has a good tendancy to crash every fifteen minutes for no real reason. What, is it a time-limited piece of tagware?

Nailed that one right on the head. I was dumb enough to buy (as in purchase [as in actually spend money on {as in I'm retarded}]) HexMaker for Hexen2. I got something like 3 squares down in a matter of 2 weeks and couldn't go beyond that. Woo. Matthew Ayres (WadEd) needs to do the same thing for Doom3 he did for Doom, I would pay anything for an editor as simple as that. (Provided it isn't a bug nest like WadEd.)

Guest TossMonkey

Have you used the UnrealEditor? It is a good editor for making maps, it is easy to get used to. I hope id are taking note from epic in this department. Quake1 wasn't that hard to make maps for, Quake2 was hard, Quake3 Impossible.

Buck up your ideas id.

NOOO, Unrealed fucking SUCKS.. if Qeradiant or worldcraft was built for unreal, you would understand. When you make a room in Unrealed, it's 'that easy' because the game's engine works that way, not because that the editor is l33t. Unrealed is pretty much useless for shaping objects and stuff too, shit, using rooms to carve shapes and... remind me to never touch that piece of shit again.

As for quake(engine) editing, it's really straight-forward and easy. You build a block for the floor, one for the ceiling, and the walls, and it's done. sorta like Lego =) You must have had a pretty shitty editor + tutorials, deadnail =)

You´re right, UnrealEd tries to be a simple easy-to-use program, but it lacks from the power of QRadiant or WorldCraft 3.0. It´s useless when you try to do some complex brush or modify an actual one. I hate that stupid system to place brushes in scene, and the editor got some serious problems to actualize the BSP data in the engined powered camera (the only good thing).
Texture aligning is better than Q editors, and so the movers system, but the keyboard/mouse mapping is so lame.
If the editor is built-in in D3, at least we´re getting a very fast and solid preview camera. I never edited in Q3, so i don´t know how things are there, but the entities system related to brushes must change into something like Unreals movers, about the NURBS, I have such nightmares to build them in other programs, it would be nice to have a bug-free complex but intuitive set of tools.
But if there´s something I really want, is a built-in player collision test, were you can see the world trought the exact scale and test how you move throught the level. It wouldn´t be bad neither if the editor automatically accept new entities if they´re defined in some of your mods, that would make easy the level editing in your favorite PC/TC/mod.