Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raven

Uhh....I'm embarrassed to ask but.....Please reply quickly!

Well, I am new here and I have an embarrassing question.....How do you play WAD file for the original Doom (not doom95.)?

Please reply quickly!

It's nice if you right click on a wad file, and check you have the option "open with", if you do, select "open with" and "other" and browse to Doom.exe, select that, and check box "Always use this program to open this type of file", now whenever you want to run a wad, just double click the wad, it will open it using Doom.exe every time

fodders said:

It's nice if you right click on a wad file, and check you have the option "open with", if you do, select "open with" and "other" and browse to Doom.exe, select that, and check box "Always use this program to open this type of file", now whenever you want to run a wad, just double click the wad, it will open it using Doom.exe every time

Good idea but what if the wad is for Doom2.exe ?

You may wish to run from the command line if it cant find the main wad:

* Open an MS-DOS prompt
* Type cd \directory\doom\is\installed, for example if doom is installed in c:\doom2, type cd \doom2
* Type

doom2 -file file.wad
or
doom -file file.wad
(depending on what version of doom you have)

Another thing, if you like a certain MOD, you can create a shortcut to the source port it requires, then add -file *wadname*.wad then rename the shortcut to the mod. I have like 14 shortcuts of various mods in a folder. It lets you get to the mod with a simple double-click.

i suggest you download a source port to play the later wads. try eternity, that's a good one. go to the source ports area in doomworld to get it.
this is best used if you encounter .deh files.
try this.
eternity.exe -file thing.wad -deh patch.deh