Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hellspawn

Soundtrack

Guest Hellspawn

Now... since we've already established the fact that Doom had a kick ASS soundtrack (many times, in fact), why don't we examine some other games/series with good soundtracks?

I think that, no matter how much I love the Doom soundtrack, the Castlevania series beats it by a little. Who couldn't remember such songs as from the first levels of Castlevania, Castlevania 3, Castlevania Bloodlines, etc.? And all the Dracula stages... gotta love 'em. It's the whole neo-classical thing, really...

And then there's Killer Instinct. The KI games had some great music, in my opinion. Perhaps my opinion has something to do with the fact that they had better sound quality than anything else on my N64 and old SNES. But still, Gargos' stage, and the main theme, rule.

Aside from that, honorable mention goes to the following games:

Super Mario Bros. (Hey, it's catchy music, dammit)
Wolfenstein 3d (Bobby Prince ruled then, too.)
All of the Star Wars games (for their wonderful ways of recycling movie themes)
The Mega Man Series

Now, if only some developer would hire the Black Label Society to do some game music...

Hey! Refer to the first level Castlevania song by it's name: Vampire Killer! :)

Megaman... you're damn straight! I *LOVE* the music in that series!

Also gotta mention:
NES Blaster Master
NES Contra
SNS Super Turrican
PSX Einhänder
PC Descent
PC Duke 3D (Admit it, especially Alienz.mid)
PC Soldier Of Fortune (Really good, have to get into it)

On a side note, Q3A for DC is great. The only problem is I am *very* short on money as of late. I just got it and another VMU for seventy bucks total at Target on my 'Guest Card'. Luckily I can just drop $20 a week at Target and always have the best gaming stuff. The problem is now I need a keyboard and mouse for my DC and the only place that has those is Best Buy... damn.

It does have a few minor issues but it really looks awesome.

Guest Hellspawn

Hell, I figured not a lot of people would KNOW the name of the song... or the name of the Bloodlines first level, Reincarnated Soul (my favorite song from the series)...

Anyway, Blaster Master and Contra, I don't really remember the music much... then again, last time I played them I was 7. Never played Super Turrican, never owned a PSX, never played Descent or SOF. Duke 3d had good music, I have to admit.

Oh, I almost forgot... Street Fighter. Cheesy, but catchy. Like Mario.

deadnail said:

PC Soldier Of Fortune (Really good, have to get into it)

Yeah, i preffer the Iraq & Japan ones

Hellspawn said:

Hell, I figured not a lot of people would KNOW the name of the song... or the name of the Bloodlines first level, Reincarnated Soul (my favorite song from the series)...

Anyway, Blaster Master and Contra, I don't really remember the music much... then again, last time I played them I was 7. Never played Super Turrican, never owned a PSX, never played Descent or SOF. Duke 3d had good music, I have to admit.

Oh, I almost forgot... Street Fighter. Cheesy, but catchy. Like Mario.

Blaster Master & Contra music:
Go to http://www.zophar.net and go to the NES NSF Music Archive page. Grab the NSF's for that game (about 20k) and a NSF plugin for WinAMP. Play the music and just see what you missed. :)

Never owned a PSX?!
So then you've never played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?!
Dear God!
It's the best Castlevania ever, by around 4000% !!
Get a used PSX for $60, get C:SOTN for $20 !!
Today! :)
Please!
For the love of God!

If you haven't played it you don't know what you're missing!

Zaldron said:

Yeah, i preffer the Iraq & Japan ones

I like the Africa tunes. No, not the 80's song (it was better when remixed by Pyogenesis anyway), the level.

Not that I get a kick of killing 200 black guys with a shotgun, the music for it is really in tune with the level. It just feels really hot as hell and one serious gunfight after another.

Guest Hellspawn
deadnail said:

Blaster Master & Contra music:
Go to http://www.zophar.net and go to the NES NSF Music Archive page. Grab the NSF's for that game (about 20k) and a NSF plugin for WinAMP. Play the music and just see what you missed. :)

Never owned a PSX?!
So then you've never played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?!
Dear God!
It's the best Castlevania ever, by around 4000% !!
Get a used PSX for $60, get C:SOTN for $20 !!
Today! :)
Please!
For the love of God!

If you haven't played it you don't know what you're missing!

Yeah, that's what people have been saying... but hey, I'm a 15-year-old musician... I spend what little money I have on guitar equipment... hell, I haven't even played Castlevania 64 and I OWN an N64... besides, the Web guy at The CastleVania Dungeon says SOTN is second best to the Japanese PC-Engine version of Dracula X...

Hey... the Blaster Master music is pretty cool... hmmm...

deadnail said:

NES

I remember loving some of the tunes from the "Life Force" game (I believe it was called). I had a tape made of one of the boss' music, I think it was Giga, that giant skull. XEXYZ had some cool stuff too. One of the last maps was a Megadeth song from Rust In Piece. Hangar 18 or something.

Hellspawn said:

Yeah, that's what people have been saying... but hey, I'm a 15-year-old musician... I spend what little money I have on guitar equipment... hell, I haven't even played Castlevania 64 and I OWN an N64... besides, the Web guy at The CastleVania Dungeon says SOTN is second best to the Japanese PC-Engine version of Dracula X...

Hey... the Blaster Master music is pretty cool... hmmm...

Oh hell, like there's more than twenty people that actually owned that game. When that theft hit the Turbografx-16, CD drive and all, crashed and burned faster than the 3D0.

From what I've seen I'm not that impressed. The only thing I would like to see would be the anime cutscenes, the gameplay actually looked less stellar than SCIV although larger and with multiple characters.

SOTN, nonetheless, is a *FUCKING HUGE* game!

Castlevania 64 is totally 3D, and the gameplay reverts all the way back to Caslevania 1. Basically, you'll spend around 75% of the game doing retarded jump puzzles and falling to your instant death (20 feet and splat).

If you don't like frustration, I'd just say avoid it. If you've got plenty of N64 controllers to throw against the wall then by all means try it. The music, though, is really beautiful. Not as good as SOTN, but still beautiful.

You like Blaster Master, eh? That was the first video game that really pulled me into the music. I was 9 back then, when it was a new release. I didn't beat it until I was 10. It had a sequel on the Gameboy, Blaster Master Boy, and a sequel on the Genesis aptly titled Blaster Master 2, which to this day I find unbelieveably difficult and near impossible without turbo (Damn you, Gens, that's all you're missing!).

However, remember the remix of Mario and R-Type for Gameboy Color? They also just did Dragon Warrior, Crystalis, and Shadowgate. It's a nice trend to redesign the old NES classics on the system, and now, Blaster Master is next! Should be out before Christmas...

Also, a brand new Blaster Master called Blasting Again is about to be released for Playstation! All Sunsoft has shown are stills from the CG but it is still going to be a helluva game. :)

http://bmunderground.com

Some of the old ZX81/Sinclair Spectrum games had really adictive music, even though until the +1 arrived it was all plinky plonky :) The Dizzy games in particular spring to mind...

Oh yeah, most of the Squaresoft games (Final Fantasy, Chronowhatever, etc), have pretty nice soundtracks too.

deadnail said:

I like the Africa tunes. No, not the 80's song (it was better when remixed by Pyogenesis anyway), the level.

Not that I get a kick of killing 200 black guys with a shotgun, the music for it is really in tune with the level. It just feels really hot as hell and one serious gunfight after another.

What the fuck you trying to imply with that last statement. Mutha Fucker!!! It easy to make bold statements like that on line
where nobody can confront you after saying stupid shit like that.
Come on, and step to my hood with your "SG" and I'll meet you halfway with my firepower. And we'll see who killing who!! I went to your home page and read that stupid forum about people I hate. I don't care about the statement you made afterwards. I saw
that you had black people at the top of the list!! That told everything I needed to know. I was suspicious at first, But this
shit you said here confirms it!! Your just another scumsucking,Anti-black,No good,Racist,COCKAZOID!!! Fuckyou,you diseased dog's pussy!!!

Guest Hellspawn

You know, some tranquilizer might help your condition... and damn it, this is a post about game soundtracks. If you want to have an anti-deadnail post, make a different thread, preferably in a forum where more people than just you give a flying fuck. And before you do, take some typing lessons... I mean, jesus... you forgot spaces all over the place in there.

*sigh* Kids today... no respect for established rules of English... now it's all this Ebonics crap... "Come in my hood, I'll bust a cap, I be chillin' wit' da fly honeys in my crib, yo..."

Guest Hellspawn

And what the HELL is a "Cockazoid"?

tsareppsun said:

What the fuck you trying to imply with that last statement. Mutha Fucker!!! It easy to make bold statements like that on line
Come on, and step to my hood with your "SG" and I'll meet you halfway with my firepower. And we'll see who killing who!! I went to your home page and read that stupid forum about people I hate. I don't care about the statement you made afterwards. I saw
that you had black people at the top of the list!! That told everything I needed to know. I was suspicious at first, But this
shit you said here confirms it!! Your just another scumsucking,Anti-black,No good,Racist,COCKAZOID!!! Fuckyou,you diseased dog's pussy!!!

Actually, if anybody needs to be taken out, it's you. Too bad government/military camps don't monitor boards like these and ship people like you off to get reprogrammed. Wasting everybody's air, you are...

HEY man... You forgot Aliens versus Predator... !!!
Especially song 11. Very spooky when it's dark and you're playing the AlieN...

Mario Bros for NES was great too... The sound-effects and music are stuck in my head forever !!! Yeeehaaaa...

Lüt said:

Actually, if anybody needs to be taken out, it's you. Too bad government/military camps don't monitor boards like these and ship people like you off to get reprogrammed. Wasting everybody's air, you are...

For your info,LUT, I was crossed with deadnail for writing (Not that I get a kick out of killing 200 black guys with my shotgun)
That stupid comment was mean,and completly uncalled for!!

Hellspawn said:

And what the HELL is a "Cockazoid"?

Look,Hellspawn!! I'm not trying to start no damn anti-deadnail post, He said something that offended me as a "BLACK GUY" further
up. If you open your damn eyes and read, You'll see what all my fuss is about!! And COCKAZOID is something I just made up at that point in typing. It doesn't really mean anything,accept maybe a bio-mechanical dick.

tsareppsun said:

For your info,LUT, I was crossed with deadnail for writing (Not that I get a kick out of killing 200 black guys with my shotgun)
That stupid comment was mean,and completly uncalled for!!

What's wrong with it? He's saying he doesn't get a kick out of it, for those who might have thought otherwise. That's a GOOD thing.

tsareppsun said:

-WTF is your problem man?-

For fuck's sake, relax. This is a forum... Not a chat-box...

Guest Hellspawn
tsareppsun said:

Look,Hellspawn!! I'm not trying to start no damn anti-deadnail post, He said something that offended me as a "BLACK GUY" further
up. If you open your damn eyes and read, You'll see what all my fuss is about!! And COCKAZOID is something I just made up at that point in typing. It doesn't really mean anything,accept maybe a bio-mechanical dick.

There's no problem with what deadnail said... he said "not like I get a kick out of killing 200 black guys..." he was saying that while he doesn't enjoy killing black people mindlessly, the music fit the level it was on. So I don't see your fuss.

Guest spectre

These are the game soundtracks I listen to most often:

Quake 2 (Sonic Mayhem RULES!)
Red Alert
Red Alert 2 (REALLY DAMN GOOD!)
Diablo 2
Descent 2
and DOOM AND DOOM 2 OF COURSE!!

Guest MrTalkAlot
spectre said:

These are the game soundtracks I listen to most often:

Quake 2 (Sonic Mayhem RULES!)
Red Alert
Red Alert 2 (REALLY DAMN GOOD!)
Diablo 2
Descent 2
and DOOM AND DOOM 2 OF COURSE!!

One of my favorite soundtracks of all time
Is Contra3:"The Alien Wars"
<Level 3 was the best. If you progressed through the level
at the right pace, it was like the song reacted to each
new part of the stage, even though it wasnt designed that way,
and it ended right at the boss. Amazing>
And you cannot forget the LAST level soundtrack.

That was a game that REALLY showed off how much better the
Super's sound was over Genesis.

Sounded like a damn orchestra was sitting in your living room while you played!