Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Big Robb

My take of playing doom over the net today for the first time....

That fucking ruled! I've been playing doom for 8 years now and today was the first day I every played it online against humans. It’s very interesting to finally feel the wrath of a BFG or Plasma Gun. Suffice to say all those years, kicking the asses of some of the hardest levels ever created paid off and for my last game tonight I bet a guy from Japan named “Yasu” to 50 frags. It was a hard game and extremely satisfying. Next time you play doom online look for a guy called “Demonseed” because that will be me kicking your ass lol! Seriously though I don’t have a clue why I never played doom online earlier. It really is superb. You know something Doom has been around for about 9 years now and we still play it religiously. Do you think the kids of the today who have been brought up with Quake III and Unreal Tournament will be playing those games in 9 years time? One thing is for sure we will still be playing Doom.

I just played for the first time yesterday (not including LAN) and it was definetely fun. Although I wish there were more people playing the original maps instead of those damn dwango levels. They get tiresome after a while.

The Big Robb said:

a guy from Japan named “Yasu” to 50 frags. It was a hard game and extremely satisfying. ... You know something Doom has been around for about 9 years now and we still play it religiously. Do you think the kids of the today who have been brought up with Quake III and Unreal Tournament will be playing those games in 9 years time?

Anyone with a Jap name is always suspected to be KNORTON, Damn fine average player, from visiting here, I know a lot that play are in the 14/19 age group, kids that HAVE been brought up on Quake(spit) and found it wanting, and play Doom :)

I really need to click out of here and see what other forums there are. Thanks BBG for the link to one of the programs btw.

The Big Robb said:

I really need to click out of here and see what other forums there are. Thanks BBG for the link to one of the programs btw.

No problem.

I've only played DooM multiplayer once. I didn't get that much of a kick out of it cause I didn't have it configured for mouse look. I'd play more but I'm too lazy to be typing in IP adresses, not knowing if it'll find a game or not. It'd help if there was a program that would connect a list of servers in one giant lobby so I could just pick and choose where I'm playing. I'd like to try CO-OP some day...
(thanks for taking the time to read this n00bed out post.)

That's a nice account, Robb, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Railgunner have you got both zdaemon and zlauncher in the same dir as Dwango5(probably), doom2.wad etc.?

Bah, the ping is sooooo bad on this 56k it's just plain embarrassing....

I have a 56k. The ping in mine was about 115 when I fought the japanese guy. Although me and him where the only people in the wad.

I think the ping indicates you were playing someone in the same country as you, probably not someone in Japan, my money's on knorton or an imposter :)