• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

What Doom 3 needs, what I want.

What Doom 3 Needs:
====================================
• Splitscreen support for muliplay from one computer. Two computers could provide an eight player CTF experience.
• Better input device support, and support for mulitple analog inputs instead of just axis-x&y. My gamepad has four analog inputs but I can only use two in Quake 3. Also, the left analog stick is always forced to be the x&y axis, so I can't use the crosspad if I even wanted to (Technically, it's the hat switch. WTF?).
• Support for RAR compressed user files. If every Doom 3 user level is 15 megs then I won't get a single one. I know that Carmack wants to end group filing systems but ZIP just needs to die a quick death.
• Force feedback support. Highly underrated!
• I know that it's supposed to have an internal level editor, but will it have an internal model editor? It should come with all the utilities necessary for mod making, no 80 meg SDK's to download.
• Microphone support for LAN deathmatching.

What I Want:
====================================
• Let me describe the gamepad I want. I want a gamepad with a cross x and y axis, not a hat shaped like one. I want ten buttons on it, not six or eight or twelve. I want four analog axis as well, preferably in the PSX Dual Shock form. It should also have force feedback vibration without the need of an external power source. It would also be nice to have Clik disk support like a memory card. Although Interact and Logitech have attempted this, they have both failed miserably.
• I am right handed. Therefore, I mouse with my right hand and use my left for lateral movement. Why do N64 and Dreamcast games attempt to force me to mouse with my left thumb on the analog? I would like to see a mouser controller for these systems that's just like a left handed controller, so I could mouse with it. I would also like to see a Dreamcast controller that doesn't suck cock (It has great games but the controller is so horrible, it's a tear jerking paradox).
• Gateway became sucessful by making sure every PC they sold had a CD rom drive. It's beyond time for EVERY PC to come with a DVD drive. The 4.8 Gigs versus 700 meg battle is a no brainer for gaming.
• I would also like to see more cases with USB ports on the front. Since keyboards, monitors, and even the new Hercules sound card act as convenient hubs its not as necessary, but its still just considerate design. With three spare USB ports and a mouser gamepad, a four player deathmatch on one PC becomes a true, viable option. Reaching around to the back of the system would almost ruin this, since USB extension cords can cost over thirty bucks.

Well, this is all I can think of for the moment.

Is there a little detail that you believe Doom 3 should have? Say so here.

Is there a little other Doom 3-related detail that you feel would make the game better? Say so.

It's been a bit too long since a serious Doom 3 discussion. :Þ

I see, this is the massive post that was foretold to us? Cool... I can't help but noticing your lobying for a gamepad and consoles.. In my oppinion whoever designed FPSs for consoles should be dragged out into the street and beaten with a large metal n64 controller...

Ah well, I have wants and needs for doom 3 as well, but they shall have to wait..

S./

Here is the problem with gamepads

They are fine with games like Old Doom's, Wolfienstien, Duke 3d, but with new games that need freelook to succeed in playing, they fall short. Try winning a deathmatch playing on a game pad in Q3a.

I'd like to see split screen more on the computer also, but the only problem is you only have one keyboard, and some games arnt playable on gamepads. N64 is a great pad used with Doom, split screen playing is fun then with one person at the keyboard and one on the controller. If they are going to do split screen, there have to be some kind of compatible easy to use gamepad they also release. That would be sort of cool, a custom designed Doom 3 gamepad :).

Guest Epiphany

Dammit there are alot of sucky controllers out there, not only for consoles but pcs as well. Considering that it will be cheaper for me to buy a next generation console than to upgrade my pc to play Doom 3 when it comes out I hope that someone makes a proper deticated fps console controller. Hardware designers need to start using their brains and stop basing controllers on how they handle their reproductive organs. He he.

Guest Vertigo1

Compaq is doing this now. The Pentium IV allows for 2 USB Root hubs, so they have 2 on the front and two on the back. And if thats not enough, they'res always Hubs....

Malum Archon said:

Here is the problem with gamepads

They are fine with games like Old Doom's, Wolfienstien, Duke 3d, but with new games that need freelook to succeed in playing, they fall short. Try winning a deathmatch playing on a game pad in Q3a.

I'd like to see split screen more on the computer also, but the only problem is you only have one keyboard, and some games arnt playable on gamepads. N64 is a great pad used with Doom, split screen playing is fun then with one person at the keyboard and one on the controller. If they are going to do split screen, there have to be some kind of compatible easy to use gamepad they also release. That would be sort of cool, a custom designed Doom 3 gamepad :).

First of all, before I forget, just remember Malon that you can use multiple keyboards and multiple mice with Doom Legacy. And as for multiple USBs and whatnot, the KT-133 for the Duron and Athlon support 2 front and 2 on the back as well! :)

Now then, to be honest I mouse with a trackball. Once I got my Logitech Marble Man I decided right then I'll never go back to a mouse. One thumb on a ball, one finger on the kill switch, and one finger operating the wheel (also the 'use' button when pressed), the third on the second kill switch (in Half-Life/Blood anyway). I can mouse with my keyboard half on my left leg and my right hand slouched on the couch, and just relax to hell on my LAZBoy. :Þ

It's almost impossible to coordinate yourself enough to utilize two analog sticks fully, one in each thumb. The PSX analogs function quite well with racing games, but for a freelook game it's quickly mindboggling.

The other problem is that with controllers like the Dreamcast one my normal mousing hand is forced to use buttons and my normal button hand is forced to use analog. Therefore, I think a left-handed gamepad would function quite well as a right-handed mousing gamepad. If only the DC controller wasn't shaped like an autistic frisbee, that is.

Of course, an analog stick will simply NEVER replace my trackball for freelook. :)

So, picture a PSX Dual Shock controller in your head. The cross on the left is used for your movement, and yes, I do prefer it with the X in the middle of it to help seperate motions (AWESOME in Marvel vs Street!). The left analog would simply be absent or for supplement actions. Where the right four buttons are, picture it slanted upwards so it's higher where SQUARE is and a normal height where CIRCLE is. Instead of the four buttons... you got it, my red marble trackball. :)

L1 - Jump
L2 - Crouch
R1 - Fire
F2 - Fire 2

The left analog stick would be a quick weapon switch and the use functions, the right would also expand on this.

Now, this would be a near perfect mousing controller for me, and for once, WOULD MAKE A GODDAMN FIRST PERSON CONSOLE SHOOTER PLAYABLE!!!

Throw in some vibration functions, and maybe a Clik! disk drive on the back like a console mammary card support and you've got one hell of a controller! =) =)

Wait... don't get that?
Simple!
Keep your custom CFG, model, and sound files on your mammary card so when you go to a bud's house your stuff is autoloaded and you never have to waste valuable kill time configuring the game!

Anyone else dig this as much as I do????