• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest C E L T

DOOM 3 : SOUND API - EAX or ???

Guest C E L T

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT D3 API ?

Most new sound cards support both EAX and A3D. Most games support either EAX or both. I guess it doesn't really matter nowadays, so long as one of them is there. :)

Guest C E L T

IS THE EAX PURE 3D SOUND SYSTEM AND IS THE A3D REALY DEAD ???

Whatever they use, they have a lot of improvements to do. Good thing that iD hired Devine, who works on the sound coding.
Sounds are a key feature in a game, specially on a terror-focused one. iD should look into this features :

* Texture-defined coefficient of sound absorption in each brush
* Echo
* Speaker set (Headphones, 2 sp, 4 sp, 5 surround)
* Occlusion
* Reverb
* Doppler could be useful (ie: think about rockets & lost souls)

That´s everything i can think right now, maybe im missing something.

How can they honest call a 4-speaker system "3D" sound?? It's just two-dimensional! Left-right, and forward-backward. What if they had an 8-speaker system set up in a cube pattern, rather than a square? That's right, with not only forward and backward, but up and down!! What would they call it then? 4-dimensional? No, they skipped a dimension. Stereo is one-dimensional. 4 speakers is two-dimensional. True 3D sound would require 8 speakers, and not just in your typical circle pattern.

AndrewB said:

How can they honest call a 4-speaker system "3D" sound??

EAX & A3D can emulate z axis distance by modifying the bass/treble amount in each channel. The amount of speakers has anything to do with the dimensional size.
2 speakers provide 2D sound because of pan/volume settings.
4 speakers provide 3D because of the rear sound effect.

Speakers on the floor and the ceilling have very little use because of the way the ear works.

Guest C E L T

I ASK AGAIN. CAN EMU10K/EAX MADE FULL GEOMETRY SOUND DISTRIBUTION CALCULATION ???
IF NO, IT MEAN THAT MY SBLIVE IS SUCK FOR DOOM^3 !!!

Guest fraggle`

could you stop posting in all capitals, its very annoying and makes you look like a lamer