Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Perforator

My thoughts on the Doom 3 status bar.

I think ID should redsign the orginal doom face. Make him look the same only 3d modeled, sort of how the face are in q3a eccept that helmet wont be on his head. And were you see how much ammo you have left there should be a 3d model of the ammo box (again example of q3a status bar.) And the console, if you ever played q3a on sega dreamcast, it should be like that, if you have not played it, the console is a little sort of window in the middle of the screen (like ut only not gay looking.) And It would be cool if the console would be transparent.

But anyway Id does it will be cool, every game they make anyway becomes a smash hit.

Guest Epiphany

This is a very important issue, i mean the status bar is on your screen 100% percent of the time when playing Doom. Personally I think that id should recreate the original Doom status bar, only with 3d elements and a less obstructive background, ie transparent like all other recent fps games. They definatly need to have a polygon based head of the Doom guy, only with alot more animation, with facial expressions and levels of damage than the original. They could simplify it a bit, like showing your ammunition reserves all of the time may not be nessercary. Perhaps the bar could rise up to show additional information, ala Hexen II.

The status bar from Q3A looked gay, which suited the shit interface and the entire game for that matter. I hope id get their act together and put a proper status bar in Doom 3.

Every status bar looks like shit. They´re annoying and anti-climatic things. I always use maximum screen size, just to avoid interfase. DooM3 obviously needs a status bar, but iD should make it as small as possible.
The face in DooM didn´t have any use, it was only a graphical way to show your health condition.
I like the Hexen II idea, it was a good way to hold information without navegating through menus.

...the Doom face looks in the direction that the damage came from, so if you take a hit and don't know from where the face will be looking for it. Basically. Well, if you take a hit and you don't know where it came from you got bigger problems! :)

NO NO! What the Hell people! We dont want a small staus bar! I just came up with a better idea. You hait a button and it comes up, and if you hit the button again, it goes away. This way they can make it pretty; Nice n' shiney, more animations, ammo count, health, etc...

deadnail said:

...the Doom face looks in the direction that the damage came from, so if you take a hit and don't know from where the face will be looking for it. Basically. Well, if you take a hit and you don't know where it came from you got bigger problems! :)

Hey, deadnail, you´re right, but you realize how useless and difficult is to examine that little pic when you´re being hitted?
You´ll have to lose focus on the viewport, wich is a very bad idea while fightning.

Half-Life system was much better, altough sound direction works even better.

Jeremy said:

NO NO! What the Hell people! We dont want a small staus bar! I just came up with a better idea. You hait a button and it comes up, and if you hit the button again, it goes away. This way they can make it pretty; Nice n' shiney, more animations, ammo count, health, etc...

Every FPS has that, it´s called "screensize up" and "screensize down". The only improvement it´s the 1 key binded. Anyway, it works for me.

The status bar does need to be transparent like that guy down there clearly stated. There needs to be a one key bind for the status bar like you said below. But when that status bar goes away, they still need to show you your status, you know like doom legacys health bar. But instead of that damn health box the face of flyne damnit.