Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

"Rise Of The Triad" engine?

Guest Johnny Kaos

really?

i'd have never guessed.

you sure?

the was a lotta jumping and ai(fake death, rolling) and projectiles and crap like that.

you sure?

Guest banann
Johnny Kaos said:

really?

i'd have never guessed.

you sure?

the was a lotta jumping and ai(fake death, rolling) and projectiles and crap like that.

you sure?

hmm, thats true, there was such game:)
thanks for reminding me guys, and now maybe you can tell me where could i find it? it would be nice to play something like that old ... something;)

Apogee still had the rights to Wolfenstein 3D and ROTT was originally going to be Wolf 2, as Styphrz pointed out. During production is was clear that it was heading in a different direction, and it even ended up with some of the characters that Doom was supposed to have.

The floor and ceiling code is actually from Doom. It's a long story, and you can read the whole mess at the ROTT page on http://www.classicgaming.com (just look for the ROTT page on their menu).

The big reason that it didn't do well was because of Orthagonal walls, as in every wall had to be 90º like Wolf3D. Other than that I really liked it and I wish I could play it on my system but the installer crashes, just like Ripper 5 does every time I try to start it....

Johnny Kaos said:

really?

i'd have never guessed.

you sure?

you sure?

It's not surprising if you think about it. Hell, quakes code eventuall spawned Half-Life... all it takes is alot of upgrading to the engine.

deadnail said:

Apogee still had the rights to Wolfenstein 3D and ROTT was originally going to be Wolf 2, as Styphrz pointed out. During production is was clear that it was heading in a different direction, and it even ended up with some of the characters that Doom was supposed to have.

The floor and ceiling code is actually from Doom. It's a long story, and you can read the whole mess at the ROTT page on http://www.classicgaming.com (just look for the ROTT page on their menu).

The big reason that it didn't do well was because of Orthagonal walls, as in every wall had to be 90º like Wolf3D. Other than that I really liked it and I wish I could play it on my system but the installer crashes, just like Ripper 5 does every time I try to start it....

Hey deadnail, the installer crashes because of an runtime error?
Download Slow and you´ll fix the problem.

That´s because you have a 233 MHZ processor or superior. All the programs coded on Turbo C++ 5.0 and below suffer from a "divide by zero" bug called runtime error 203 (or something like that), you need Slomo (only on DOS) to get processor speeds inferior to 233. You could also patch the program with a special patcher that fix the problems (most of the cases).

EllipsusD said:

It's not surprising if you think about it. Hell, quakes code eventuall spawned Half-Life... all it takes is alot of upgrading to the engine.

Only about 18% of the half-life engine was quake 2 code.

Zaldron said:

That´s because you have a 233 MHZ processor or superior. All the programs coded on Turbo C++ 5.0 and below suffer from a "divide by zero" bug called runtime error 203 (or something like that), you need Slomo (only on DOS) to get processor speeds inferior to 233. You could also patch the program with a special patcher that fix the problems (most of the cases).

Where can I download it?

search on altavista "runtime error 203", and you´ll find several pages focused on this Intel processor bug.

Guest Hutchie
Dima said:

Does anyone remember what engine did this game use?Was it the Doom Engine?

I could be wrong but I believe the engine used by Rise Of The Triad was not the DOOM engine but an early incarnation of the BUILD engine which was later used in Duke Nukem 3D, BLOOD, SHADOW WARRIOR etc.

Anyone interested in downloading the game can check out

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quadrant/5969/

There is also a level editor and theme

This engine has similarities to the wolf engine, but only because there was no diagonal lines. If you look at the automaps and the way the game was set up, it seems like it's a whole new engine. It looks like it uses square sectors that are grouped together. The skys and such are just a whole bunch of squares. If it was a modified wolf engine, it's a pretty crappy modification.

Perforator said:

I thought Half-life was developed from Quake 1.

Guest Cartoon
Perforator said:

and pretty much all the rest was code from Quake 1

Guest Daemoneon
deadnail said:

If you read the Doom Bible from this site, you will see a lot of similarities as far as the characters and some of the weapons are concerned. Mainly this is because some of the contributors to the Doom Bible went over to Apogee at some point, and because the character ideas weren't used in Doom at all, they took and incorporated them into ROTT. Also, ROTT is one of very few games that actually grasps the idea of "Jesus Christ, I'm only one person, I can only carry so much". I mean, come on, "yeah, I'll whip my double-barrel shotgun out of my left pocket, blast this demon in my way, then swap it for the rocket launcher I have hidden up my ass to crush that cacodemon headed right for me". Although I love Doom, there is no way you would be able to carry all of the guns at once. Heretic, Hexen, Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Duke Nukem 3D, (Christ, I can't even name them all) seem to agree that you can have a bottomless backpack and endless pockets (Make room, you chaingun, I need more space for my BFG).