Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

Doom 3 should *not* go to the PS2

There's no bigger fan of the PSX than me, well, except maybe Eiffel 65. It was a great system, flooded with kickass game titles because of it's programming ease.

The PS2, slightly more powerful than a Dreamcast, has a severe drawback. It's a bitch to program for. Every game designer interview I've read, including Carmack, all bitch and moan about what a pain in the ass it is to make a game on the PS2. On the other hand, I hear nothing but good news about the Dreamcast and the X-Box.

Take a look at this new screenshot of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty for the PS2.
http://www.gamecenter.com/Ps2/Previews/Metalgear2/shot17.html

That's a nice pistol. It looks like a SOCOM with a silencer, but I could be wrong. It's hard to get a good view of it.
Notice something?
How incredibly jaggy it is?
Look at the walls, and the struts on the stairs.

It really looks like a smoothed-over standard PSX title... like it's just a PSX with 4x the polygons and texture filtering at the same resolution.

This is Konami?

Why in the name of God did Sony make the PS2 so friggin' hard to make games for? With titles that look this poor compared to year-old Dreamcast titles, plus it costs $150 more, plus you can't even buy one, why the Hell does anyone want a PS2?

I always wait to get a system until there's a game on it I want to play. I still get some good gaming out of my Dreamcast and it's totally retarded controller. I thought Sony knew better than this.

Also on Gamecenter is a game comparison of Dead or Alive 2 between the brand new PS2 version and the year old DC version. The year old DC version looks 10 times smoother, the shimmering and aliasing on the PS2 screenshots looks almost unbearable.

If the PS2 will force this kind of bastardization on the console port of Doom 3 then it should simply not go to this system. Any comments?

===---Another thought:
I'm sure many of you are thinking, "Hey, this is just a first generation title! Give it some slack!"

Well, they spend years working much 'harder' than they would on another system and this is the result?

If the PS2 is to even SURVIVE, they really need to fix some of these problems.

Thanks for your time.

This was related to Doom 3, only the future of it and it's console releases. Flame me if you will.

Guest elyuca

deadnail, since i like you now, im not gonna flame you. I agree with not having d3 for consoles, but I've allways hated consoles, TV resolution is too low, and the controlers make a better dildo for jeremy than a controler. Burning copies will be hard to do in future consoles, and multiplayer over the net is almost nonexistant. But Doom 3 will most probably come out for the X-Box, since its practically a PC inside a console.

Another thing I have noticed about consoles is that the people who use them, on average, are not as bright as pc gamers, I think its because they dont need to know anything about the platform, its as easy as sticking a cd in and playing, no graphic accelerators to dream about, no ram to upgrade, no drivers to download, and all the games are made to be played with a 10 button controller, not a 104 key keyboard, and a mouse (which makes a much better controler in my opinion)

You´re damn right. I noticed that effect on some guys.
Im also a console hater, never bought one, never will.

Ever saw Starcraft for console?? *shivers*

Indeed, TV resolution is horrible low, the pic that deadnail showed us is 560x420. Imagine, less than the Voodoo1 standard resolution for games.
If D3´s going to make it to other platforms. Please, let the PC version came first. I don´t want a simultaneous release because that would force JC to programmate for the X-Box as for the PC together. PS2 ins´t capable to handle D3 dot3 routines very well. It would be a severed version of the game.

BTW, deadnail, where did your nick came from? And why the hell do you get mad when someone types Deadnail instead of deadnail?

Heh, for some reason I thought the subject of this thread was "Doom3 should *not* be an FPS". I was like, WTF?!? =p

Zaldron said:

You´re damn right. I noticed that effect on some guys.
Im also a console hater, never bought one, never will.

Ever saw Starcraft for console?? *shivers*

Indeed, TV resolution is horrible low, the pic that deadnail showed us is 560x420. Imagine, less than the Voodoo1 standard resolution for games.
If D3´s going to make it to other platforms. Please, let the PC version came first. I don´t want a simultaneous release because that would force JC to programmate for the X-Box as for the PC together. PS2 ins´t capable to handle D3 dot3 routines very well. It would be a severed version of the game.

BTW, deadnail, where did your nick came from? And why the hell do you get mad when someone types Deadnail instead of deadnail?

Point 1:
================
I love consoles, and I always have. I started my gaming when I was 4 years old on a TI-994A. Parsec, Munchman, and Munchmobile spring happy memories of gaining weight. From there I moved onto the NES, Genesis, SNES, Gameboy, Virtual Boy, and then I really jumped into the PC gaming scene in '96 with a Pentium 75 and 8 megs of RAM. Spiffy! I tried making Doom and Duke levels but the editors just seem so fucking retarded to me I can't stay with them. Most of them crash often or give really weird errors that have never been explained (especially Build). Yet I find plenty of time to play around in Paint Shop Pro and my huge collection of filters. Right now I mostly play my Playstation (best gamepad in history, period!) and Dreamcast, while my N64 and Saturn collect dust.

I still get a good deathmatch on in Half-Life, though, and I rather enjoy my Pimpium III 450 with 256 megs of SDRAM. :)

Point 2:
================
Console gaming machines have always been great, although they will never match up to a PC at the time of their release since by that time they are at least two years old!

Genesis: 320x224
SNES: 1024x1024 internal workspace, 320x240 is displayed (Hi res of 512x324, rarely used)
Playstation: Up to 1024x768 (EHRGIEZ ROCKS IN 640x480!!)
N64: 320x240 up to 800x600 (I think)
Dreamcast: Up to 1024x768 (If you have the VGA adapter)
PS2: Defaults at 640x350 (That's why it's so fucking jaggy!)

To Quote FiringSquad:
"PS2 developers face a similar challenge in using these vector units efficiently by splitting up the work, ensuring that the workload on each unit is balanced, and managing the data transfer between the different parts of the Emotion Engine. It's like having many untrained workers who can follow instructions perfectly. There is a lot of potential productivity, but managing the units to achieve the full potential can be very difficult."
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/ps2tech/page6.asp

Point 3:
================
Look below in the Ling post aptly titled 'deadnail' and I explain it somewhat down. As for the lowercase, as always I'm a NIN fan and I like things mostly lowercase. Naturally when I'm communicating it doesn't follow. :P

deadnail, you don´t have to probe me why consoles are good. I mean, yeah, i don´t like them, but for my own reasons. But im not one of those guys who yells in the street "Down with the PS2!", or those who get unbelievable mad when they see one of this machines and tries to smash them with pipes.
Im not a console flamer. Just a guy who loves more the edition & creation capacities of the PC than the ton of great titles that came for the PSX/PS2/DC/whatever.

but I've still never played a PC RPG as good as Final Fantasy 6, or even seen a game as original as Parasite Eve 2 on a PC.

Oh well. PC gaming makes up 30-35% of the market, and I try to make up around 100% of the market. :P

Smash them with a pipe?
If I get that SKS I'll get a camcorder too and make a movie of me putting a 7.62 cartridge right into a few old consoles for everyone's amusement!

Bah! PS2 sucks! I dont really see the difference in PSX and PS2! Looks like shit too!

Elyuca's home site: www.Hotmale.com

NiGHTMARE said:

You must never have played any of the Ultimas then...

Yes I have and they were boring as fuck by comparison! Maybe if I hadn't played FF3 beforehand I would've found them interesting.

Shaviro said:

Bah! PS2 sucks! I dont really see the difference in PSX and PS2! Looks like shit too!

....ha, you dont!? are you blind or something, (im not saying that im in favor of the ps2, because im pissed at sony), im just gonna wait for the gamecube, but it depends.... well, Maonth you are somewhat odd. oh, and quit looking in the mirror :P

Guest doomgod12345
Shaviro said:

Elyuca's home site: www.Hotmale.com

yea i must say the FPS usally suck for consel system, the only good one i can think of is turok for N64. I did not think bond was that great, could have been better

Captain Skippy said:

....ha, you dont!? are you blind or something, (im not saying that im in favor of the ps2, because im pissed at sony), im just gonna wait for the gamecube, but it depends.... well, Maonth you are somewhat odd. oh, and quit looking in the mirror :P

The change between PSX and PS2 is so little, you can hardly see it! THATS the truth!

retard! ¦]

Guest dmddoug

i agree i think ps2 isn't as great as everyone says. im waiting for the game cube cause every system i ever had that wasn't made by nintendo has been dissapointing and i usually end up selling it on ebay. for right now i'll stick w/ computer, nes, snes and n64. =)

Guest dmddoug
Captain Skippy said:

yeah gamecube!