• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest xaero

Doom 3 and the Phobos moon, serious post here

Guest xaero

I Just wanted to post a Doom ]I[ related msg in these forums
since they are being abused a lot lately with non doom rel stuff.

I just want to know about how Doom, knee deep in the dead is
supposed to be set on Phobos when in reality Phobos is just
an asteroid that has no atmosphere and probably next to no
gravity at all.

If Doom ]I[ is set on Phobos, it will have to be true to the
setting this time around. And not have grass covered mountains
in a vacuumn;=).

Just my thoughts on Doom ]I[.

Thanks.

Visit my site daily: http://doomguy.50megs.com

I think Phobos has more gravity than our own moon as it's somewhat larger, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, some people have suggested that the base in Doom E1 is actually inside a bio-dome type thing with artificial gravity, air, etc.

Isn´t Phobos a Jupiter moon? So maybe the immense gravity of Jupiter is used to create an earth-like gravity on Phobos. Don´t ask me exactly how, but we are still in the future in Doom and things like that may be possible...

By the way, is the UAC a terraforming company? That would be a good explanation for the important role the UAC is playing in the Doom games. And the Spacemarines (green uniform) are the private forces of the UAC.

Guest Hellspawn
Shaviro said:

BOB AND DOYLE!

Viva Los Bio Dome!

Guest Dimiter
Tetzlaff said:

Isn´t Phobos a Jupiter moon? So maybe the immense gravity of Jupiter is used to create an earth-like gravity on Phobos. Don´t ask me exactly how, but we are still in the future in Doom and things like that may be possible...

By the way, is the UAC a terraforming company? That would be a good explanation for the important role the UAC is playing in the Doom games. And the Spacemarines (green uniform) are the private forces of the UAC.

Phobos and Deimos are the gods of fear and terror, and they are the moons of Mars. And, they are *NOT* asteroids, but planetoids (i.e. moons). I don't know really whether they have atmospheres or not (did ya know even our moon has an atmosphere so thin that it can and is easily be disregarded at all?)

what the hell, doom is just a game, it is not supposed to be based on facts :) where have you last seen monsters from hell walking the streets of your town? heh

Tetzlaff said:

No,Phobos is not a Jupiter moon, it's a Mars moon and so is Deimos. Phobos is said to be only 28 by 20 kilometers(17 by 12 miles)On the Mars sky,it rises in the west,moves very fast across the sky and sets in the east,usaully twice a day. It's so close to the surface that it cannot be seen above the horizon form all points on the surface of Mars. Phobos most striking features is it's giant crater"Stickney" is where I believe the U.A.C space station is at according to the picture shown at the level completion screen in the Doom game. Deimos is smaller than Phobos,16 by 12km(10 by 7.5) Deimos circles Mars every 30 hours,and is the "outer"moon of mars while Phobos is the inner moon.It rises in the east and sets in the west. It is said that both moons densities are so low that they cannot be pure rock. More likely a mixture rock and ice. Both are cratered yet Deimos is far more smoother than Phobos. It is said that Phobos and Deimos may some be useful as "space stations" from which to study
Mars or as intermediate stops to and from the Martian surface; especially if the presence of ice is comnfirmed.

What my big question is why id make the Phobos sky daylight like a foggy afternoon with highrise mountains. When Phobos doesn't even have a atmosphere. It just a potatoe shaped space rock covered with a layer of dust up to about a meter thick,similer to
Earth's moon. The game Unreal Tournment's level "Phobos Spacestation" was way,way more close to how the sky of Phobos should look. The sky was rotating,blackness and stars with a "Gigantic Mars looming overhead almost covering the sky. When I saw that, I thought "YEEAAHHHHHH!!!!" That's what you suppose to see looking out of a U.A.C spacestation window.

Guest Jadar

Well, maybe the atmosphere change and gravity where effects of Hell on the moons. Or maybe ID just had no idea what they were doing because people back then didn't care much about detail and didn't know shit about mars...

Dimiter said:

Phobos and Deimos are the gods of fear and terror, and they are the moons of Mars. And, they are *NOT* asteroids, but planetoids (i.e. moons). I don't know really whether they have atmospheres or not (did ya know even our moon has an atmosphere so thin that it can and is easily be disregarded at all?)

what the hell, doom is just a game, it is not supposed to be based on facts :) where have you last seen monsters from hell walking the streets of your town? heh

Yes, it came in my mind after I wrote my post that Phobos and Daimos were the sons of the war god Hades and because of that their moons can only be Mars moons.

Shaviro said:

SHERMAN TAAAAAAAAAAANK! *(GONK)*! Hehhehe!

You are all wrong, ID had a good reason for that,in the future the uac terraformed the moons, which means releasing little single celled creatures that over a period of time release gases into the atmosphere, gradualy giving the planet an atmosphere like earth's, Thus after all that time it would begin to look like earth. And in doom64 there was a level set on one of the moons which was called the terraformer, that should tell you something,or i could just be a delusional fucker being wrong all the time,but anywho that is my best guess.

tsareppsun said:

Thanks for that little excursion in astronomy :)
The fact that id made Phobos an earth-like planetoid instead of an bare cold crater moon shows again that Doom isn´t intended to be a real world environment. Maybe it is in another dimension? Or what about my UAC terraforming question? But I know, it´s senseless to try making a mars moon earth-like. Maybe it is possible (in theory) to make Mars itself earth-like.

NiGHTMARE said:

I think Phobos has more gravity than our own moon as it's somewhat larger, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, some people have suggested that the base in Doom E1 is actually inside a bio-dome type thing with artificial gravity, air, etc.

No man Phobos is hella small compared to the earth's moon. If you were to jump on phobos you'd probably either drift off the asteroid or take a long time to come back down.

MACVILEWHORE said:

You are all wrong, ID had a good reason for that,in the future the uac terraformed the moons, which means releasing little single celled creatures that over a period of time release gases into the atmosphere, gradualy giving the planet an atmosphere like earth's, Thus after all that time it would begin to look like earth. And in doom64 there was a level set on one of the moons which was called the terraformer, that should tell you something,or i could just be a delusional fucker being wrong all the time,but anywho that is my best guess.

Umm, how can you release gas in the atmosphere when there is no atmosphere?

It would just drift off into space because there isn't enough gravity to hold it down.

Remeber, what makes no sense now may be standard in the future. Man created science, so, logicaly, he can be wrong and 'bend the rules'.

Um, I think you'll find we "discovered" science. If it didn't exist before we invented it, well, there wouldn't have been any gravity and early man would have gone flying off into space :)

The only way you could give a small moon or planetoid gravity would be to increase the speed of it's rotation, much like we do with space stations at the moment.

But increasing the rotational speed of a planetoid would be a little tricky. Doom is only supposed to be set a few hundred years in the future, and I doubt we'd have the knowledge to do that then.

Tetzlaff said:

Thanks for that little excursion in astronomy :)
The fact that id made Phobos an earth-like planetoid instead of an bare cold crater moon shows again that Doom isn´t intended to be a real world environment. Maybe it is in another dimension? Or what about my UAC terraforming question? But I know, it´s senseless to try making a mars moon earth-like. Maybe it is possible (in theory) to make Mars itself earth-like.

Look at the map of Episode 1. It is a giant, grey crater. They knew what they were doing.

NiGHTMARE said:

Um, I think you'll find we "discovered" science. If it didn't exist before we invented it, well, there wouldn't have been any gravity and early man would have gone flying off into space :)

The only way you could give a small moon or planetoid gravity would be to increase the speed of it's rotation, much like we do with space stations at the moment.

But increasing the rotational speed of a planetoid would be a little tricky. Doom is only supposed to be set a few hundred years in the future, and I doubt we'd have the knowledge to do that then.

Actually, I think, if you increased the rotational speed of a planetoid it would cause everything to fly off. Rotational gravity only works if you are inside the object that is spinning.

Besides, Phobos and Deimos are so oddly shaped that any increase in the rotation to create gravity would cause wildly unpredictable results.

BTW, I finally got my own icon. I know it sucks, but it's not bad for five minutes of work...

Guest Heresiarch

well...deimos was floating over hell in doom1.