Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
WhiteNoise

Small idea, probably already said...

Well, since Doom 3 is obviously going to be 3d, therefore creating the need for "skins" on the models... I think id should include a skin-making program, to make it easier to make skins. That way people who are inexperienced in the skin-making art can still customize their appearance.

John Carmack stated in the VE interview that the editing tools (map editor, SDK, pak viewer) will be included. Specially the map editor, wich will be distributed inside the DooM main .exe (allowing the editor to use the engine for real-time fast previewing).
Anyway, there isn´t really any kind of utilities useful to make skins. In Q3A for example, you need to open a pk3 and store the pics and .skin files under /models/player/(name of the model). You also need to put the new (if any) shader script on /scripts.
A skin pak utility that automatically places & creates the files in the pak could be added. The main problem, DRAWING THE SKIN, can only be solved with Photoshop or similar programs.

Zaldron said:

John Carmack stated in the VE interview that the editing tools (map editor, SDK, pak viewer) will be included. Specially the map editor, wich will be distributed inside the DooM main .exe (allowing the editor to use the engine for real-time fast previewing).
Anyway, there isn´t really any kind of utilities useful to make skins. In Q3A for example, you need to open a pk3 and store the pics and .skin files under /models/player/(name of the model). You also need to put the new (if any) shader script on /scripts.
A skin pak utility that automatically places & creates the files in the pak could be added. The main problem, DRAWING THE SKIN, can only be solved with Photoshop or similar programs.

I thought that in one of those interviews JC said that Doom 3 would bring along the end of pak files, and that all the files would simply be in an easily browseable subdirectory???

That´s faster for reading, but there´s a problem with the file headers. Even at FAT32, 5000, 6000 textures gonna take a lot more of HD than those pk´ed.

I know all about that, bucko. I was just pointing out that JC said that this is the new way he wanted to go, to make mod making and level making and such even easier for the peeps.