Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

Worries, oh worries.

This _is_ relevant by the way, so stick with me here, yeah...?

Just gotten around to playing Q3A on DreamCast. I'm disgusted. I truly am. It's quite a nice port, not much (If any, I didn't stare at the screen that intently) detail loss, nor lighting, effects, etc. The Bot AI seems present and correct, and they all seem to be there. There's not all the levels. No biggie - I preferred the smaller ones, anyway. At least they included Hell's Gate and The Camping Grounds (Aptly named, that. D'oh!).

But, I'm disgusted. The relevance to Doom3 here is that it follows suit of PC FPS being converted to console rather sloppily. So what? Doom3 is on PC first, right? Well, first and foremost, I play console games. I have a bad computer anyway, so Doom3 won't be on the cards until I get a job. May be years... So, I'll probably end up playing a console version. What the hell am I moaning about? Let me digress further...

First, DCQ3A's front end. WTF is going on here. Wheras this shit made good for Q2-64, a facsimile wasn't wanted. It's slow, illogical and looks shit. Actually, a straight port of the PC front end (With joypad controlled cursor LOL!) would have been better. The game itself, well, great if you have mouse and keys. But the main attraction of this was the 4-player option (Try persuading 3 friends to lug their tin boxes to your place to play LAN, and see what I mean here... and YES there's the internet. Not if you have no modem/slow modem, not really) on a single screen, NOT possible with aforementioned control setup. So it's going to be a squish. I care not. Didn't harm Goldeneye (Not when the gameplay harmed it enough ;). But the joypad control... YUCK.

I guess they did all as was expected, with full customisability and the works, but ONE small thing lets it down. The sensitivity. Q2-64 was great here (And Doom64) but AFAIK _every_ other FPS on console does not allow you to alter sensitivity to allow you to react with at least HALF the speed you would with a mouse. Damnit.

Thus, the relevance is revealed... and finally! I just hope that console Doom3 is not going to be a let down. Console owners (Such as myself, and who knows, maybe there are some people here on DreamKey on their DCs) really don't deserve straight conversions with no extra moments thought to actually making them as playable as they can. Damnit. And, when it comes to it, GameCube, X-Box or PS2, I'm probably going to be waiting and relying on a console Doom3. I don't really want another insulting disappointment...

Well I think Q3A for DC is an AWESOME game!
They did one HELL of a job on this port!
And I didn't see any bad reviews indicating the points u said!

Guest elyuca

the x-box will have the mnimum requirements for d3, besides, the x-box just blurs the line between the console and the pc, so It might be better than the rest of the consoles like the ps2.

Dima said:

Well I think Q3A for DC is an AWESOME game!
They did one HELL of a job on this port!
And I didn't see any bad reviews indicating the points u said!

Well Dima, he said that multiplay on a single machine would be cramped, but so is every other console FPS.

He said that the title screen menu sucked, and I thought it looked pretty good myself. Of course, too good for a DC... the title screen gets an FPS of about 20, way lower than the actual game! :)

He also said he hates the joypad, and I must concur. I have some ideas on a joypad that would be good for freelook but you've yet the ability to just buy one of the damn things.

Yeah, they did a helluva job on that port. But they shoulda made a special -Q3A Controller- just for it!

They aren't always shitty, though they are always late...

DC UT (if you care) is apparently looking *way* better than the PS2 version, and with significantly better Bot AI and so on than the PC version, and a "rock-solid" framerate. Still, it is missing a couple of game modes (they put Domination back in, but Assault remains out).

The DC also has the advantage that you can buy a mouse and keyboard for it (pretty cheaply, actually), and play with them, instead of *having* to use the joypad. Heck, you could even hook it up to a VGA monitor and pretend it was a very small PC...

DC HL, which is obviously *very* late, is much better than the PC version, graphics-wise (and *allegedly* play-wise, though...), and certainly couldn't be called sloppy.

Hopefully other consoles and FPS-conversions will either have a *good* dedicated FPS controller, with sensitivity adjust, or easily and cheaply available mice and keyboards (which are simply the *best* way to controls FPSes).

The biggest problem is likely to be time for Doom 3. Unless they start working on the console versions RSN, they will be many months later than the PC ones. Carmack seems to like the consoles, though, so there is hope (most likely for the X-Box, I suspect).

What games did you feel were insulting disappointments, BTW? Q3A DC? PS2 UT?