Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest elyuca

Will Doom 3 look like this?

Guest elyuca

Take a look at the pre-rendered images of doom 64 from Jeremys horribly layed out console section of his site:
http://www.angelfire.com/mn2/bjkap/console.html
Do you guys think Doom 3 will be able to look like this in realtime? They look a little cartoony, but thats just because they are prerendered with 3d studio max or some thing that. With Doom 3's lighting architecture, they might be able to look like that, only more photorealistic. Imagine Taggart looking that good!

I think that there is a chance that the models will look even better than this!
Let's say that the monsters will look like this!
Then add some more thousand polygons,add bumpmapping on them and animate them!
The models here look good but I can promise u that they will look even better in Doom 3 since there will be bumpmapping on them and maybe even NURBS! (depends on id)!
Anyway nice pictures but still not Doom 3!
hehe

Guest JudgeDooM

Yeah, it would be too cool if the ennemies in D3 look really like this!
BTW, this pics are from Jeremy's site.

Haha, funny :)

Oh, damn, I guess it does look that bad, hmm, I guess i'll go through all the ol' angelfire page, and fix the shitty parts, and throw in table where needed :P

Now click on the link!!!!
I fixed the page up!!!!
I aligned crap, and put the pics w/ white borders inside of a table w/ a white BG. K', better?

Guest elyuca
JudgeDooM said:

BTW, this pics are from Jeremy's site.

I allready said that

Guest elyuca
Jeremy said:

Haha, funny :)

Oh, damn, I guess it does look that bad, hmm, I guess i'll go through all the ol' angelfire page, and fix the shitty parts, and throw in table where needed :P

I have to say it looks allot better!... except for the title graphic.

BTW why didnt you go with the army green background?, its kinda hard to read blue text on a black background.

Guest Spectre

I will be pissed if the enemy models in Doom 3 look like the enemies in Doom 64. They look too nice, way too artificial, and they lack the gritty, dirty, disgusting look the enemies in Doom and Doom ][ had.

Guest mancuvus

i hope the enemies dont look like that, in doom 64 they are diferent and stupid, more like an amateur creation, as a lot of people have said the original ones look like real demons or whatever look creepy, if the enemies in doom3 have good graphics but as stupid as they look in doom64 i prefeer to have a bad graphic monsters

Guest JudgeDooM
elyuca said:

I allready said that

Oh yeah, sorry :) already forgot what I read from your message at the time of replying

OK, time to reply.
No, they will not look like that.
First than all, they have way many polygons each.
Dot3 lighting and bumpmaping are already enough job for the graphics card, 30,000 polys enemies are a true nightmare.

Oh, i know, i know, "the new UT technollogy can handle +50,000 polys models". That´s bullshit. C´mon, every engine can do that, you just need to change a single line in the code. Those high poly character will completely chug your machine.

But still, we don´t need that much polys. You´ll see, you can make the most incredible looking models with just 5000, 6000 polys, one word : Bumpmap.

Adding an extra layer of 8 bit grayscale surface over the standard texture (wich it will be 256x256 and above) could produce some incredible effects. For example, take a look at the arachnotron. His brain is entirely modeled. With bumpmap, you can archieve the same effect with just 60 polys (for the brain).
You can do great things, the roughness of the Imp´s skin, the cracks on the skull of the Lost Soul, all the muscles of the Cybie and the Hell Barons, the bumpiness of all the Giger-like techno textures. The emboss of the big marble faces, the grainy look of the stone, the scratches in the armors, every line & crack on the marine´s hand.

All this details won´t be rendered in the texture like in Q3A, they will be calculated on real-time taking advantage from the surrounding light sources.

I'd never seen anything from Doom64 before, but those aren't scary. They look far too cartoonish to be as frightening as the original Doom's 2D sprites. And I'm wholly serious here! I honestly hope that NONE of Doom 3's monsters look like that!!!

S./