Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EllipsusD

What happened to the bodies?

Why weren't there any demon bodies laying around in Phobos? It doesn't make any sense if you think about it. A pistol can easily kill an imp, and the marines who went in before you had weapons much more powerfull than that. Every enemy in Knee-Deep would have been able to be killed with even the simple shotgun, and there is clear evidence that rocket launchers were taken into the complex. Were the marines really that stupid as to not kill a single hell-spawn? They must have taken out a few of them in order to get so deep into the base. But where did all the bodies go? It makes no sense. Or does it.
The reason I'm bringing this up is because the absence of bodies can be just as frightening and disorienting as anything else. I can't remeber the name of the movie for the life of me... it had Antonio Banderaz as some sword fighter helping a clan of what looked like vikings. Anyway, the vikings were scared out of their wits because of some other tribe that would dress in bear hides and take their dead with them when they left, giving the appearance that they were spirits.
What does this have to do with Doom? Well, how often do you feel safe entering an area because you can see dead bodies meaning you've cleared the area out already? Well, imagine if, once you leave a room, you hear some muffled sounds. You return to the room to see the bodies of your slain enemies gone, leaving only the blood streaks where they were dragged away and the bodies of your fellow marines. Possibly the marines have been torn apart and formed into make-shift altars/decorations. You know that there are more demons somewhere, it's the only explanation that seems logical to you, but you cant see them... or hear them. They sit in the shadows. They bide their time. Only a flicker in the shadows or in the corner of your eye. Their eyes all rest on you. It feels like they are about to close in, and the sheer thought is suffocating. In the background the music slowly fades in... slowly getting louder... the steady sound of violins... You hurry out of the room, gun to the door as you hear a few muffled sounds behind the door. And from behind you comes a slow, satisfied hiss...

On another note... I really like how things have calmed down since the forum got fixed. I hope everyone keeps it up.

Guest Doom4Ever

this is a very simple matter. if you ever read the book it explains how the other marines charged the deamons at fist sight, throwing away any and all strateagy and giving the deamons an advantage. plus in the book the deamons, even imps could take quite a beating and still live like the one imp who has its legs blown off and tries to crawl around and bite flynn. also for some reason the zombies took a headshot to kill so the marines probly tried stabbing them and crap. however you could blow this whole theory away by saying that the game is not the book but still this gives you something to think about.

That would be just insanely scary. Even more so if you *very occasionally* got a glimpse of something scuttling back into the shadows after you came back into a room to find this sort of thing.

It shouldn't be overused, shouldn't happen every time, but could be very creepy indeed. The feeling that your back is NOT guarded is obviously VERY frightening to most humans.

Kudos.

Well, to put it simply. There wasn´t dead bodies because of poor decoration. iD made the Doomguy dead object, and sometimes throwed one or two in the level. They never made dead corpses for the demons, but sometimes they emphatize on that "there was a gunshot here" by other ways.
For example, in E1M2 you can notice the bullets marks across the walls, probably that´s were your friends died (acording to the "plot").

All the others marines would probably killed a LOT of enemies. Look it at this way, if you were so damn good, why you´re just a private?

have you ever read the whisperer in darkness by h.p. lovecraft? the creatures in that disolved within a few hours. i never wouldve thought of it. he sadi that they were more vegatable than flesh. and this has something to do with doom actually. because since they worshipped cthulhu, they would be considered demons i guess. so maybe the bodies in doom evaporated after time. (not literally in the gaem but this is an explanation) and id obviously read lovecraft if youve played the last level of quake.

Guest scar3crow
Doom4Ever said:

this is a very simple matter. if you ever read the book it explains how the other marines charged the deamons at fist sight, throwing away any and all strateagy and giving the deamons an advantage. plus in the book the deamons, even imps could take quite a beating and still live like the one imp who has its legs blown off and tries to crawl around and bite flynn. also for some reason the zombies took a headshot to kill so the marines probly tried stabbing them and crap. however you could blow this whole theory away by saying that the game is not the book but still this gives you something to think about.

That could be very scary if used well I think.
Make it happen say...1/20th of the time if designated by the level author in the worldspawn or whatever its called in Q3R
Otherwise youd eventually start thinking "there goes those shadow things again...whoop..."
maybe have situations where out of the corner of your eye youd see a reflection of something in a pool of blood or shard of glass...and turn around and it not be there and the reflection would be gone too. or if you stand still for to long on rare occassions...a large shadow would draw over you. (using stencilbits naturally...none of this circle shadow crap)
i think doom3 should have tons of action but still from time to time...take away that feeling of rambo...and make the player feel like the most vulnerable creature in existence. even if somehow theyre cheating this could be achieved.
id like to see a situation where you come across a fellow marine who is barely alive....he tells you need to shut down this or that. you run off to achieve it. and maybe through a security monitor you see him on the ground (assuming hes wounded) firing at something...then the monitor goes to static. or maybe you see the very last of this as you return when hes drug through a ventilation shaft and you cant follow. at which point later in the game you come across some unholy altar composed of heads of fallen soldiers. and among them you see his.
i dunno. that could creep the player out thoroughly or it could come off lame i think. hopefully id will pull this off better then Q2 and Q3A....