Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PainElemental

Area Portals

As you know, the source code of the Q3A tools is already released. I looked into the code of q3map and I'd got an idea:
What if the portals shape is stored into the BSP file? Calcing of lighting effects(simple ray-tracing if Zaldron's right) and rendering of the whole world would be much faster! Ok I know the visible lump in the BSP has the same task but it isn't so efficient(I don't know the command in Q3 but try sw_lockpvs 1 in Q2).

P.S. Look at cyberdemon.hit.bg/screenshots.html(Don't laugh man!)

Carmack is not going to use BSP based algoritms.
The idea of removing lightmaps and real light is LOST if Carmack will use BSP based algoritms again.

Well, im not very savy in Q3A code. I´ve never checked how it works. I just know the basics of the 3D programming implemented. Your idea seems to work, but you´ll surely find a ton of problems while moving the portals to the .BSP.

I was thinking, each light in the world will cast light & shadows on a number of polys. This polys, coincidentally, are almost the same that the engine would draw if the player centerpoint were on the light coord. Now, having the list of triangles under lighting, you should target their vertexes with raycasting, and the whole rest of the triangle would be shaded by deducting the poly´s surface. (much faster than heavy raycastinng).