Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Psyonisis

Multiple Resolutions

Here is a nice new idea that I don't think has been posted yet.

I don't think this is possible with today's technology, but might be in the years to come.

What if software was able to set different resolutions in real time as you were playing. But not just any resolution change. I'm talking like setting multiple resolutions on different areas on the screen.

Pretend that there was this texture on the wall with relatively small dimensions, and the walls around it had huge dimensions. Why create huge resolutions for pictures that look good in small ones anyway? Maybe the area with the small texture could set its reso to a dimension that fits with it, like 640x480. The big walls however would look good at 1024x768, so the walls will be set to that.

I think that would look cool...

Guest Dream Destroyer

Clarity is really important.. so... uh... yah...

Guest Jadar

Your sort of talking textures as well. Look at the Venom Demo at fileplanet.com to se a good texture system... it gets more detailed when you get closer.

Today tech can´t handle a multiple resolution system. Even a simple one, splitting the screen into several rectangles. DooM 3 architecture will be full of archs, slopes, NURBSs and stuff like that. You´ll have to split the screen in 578 parts of irregular shape. Besides, what´s the deal? Imagine what would happen if a monster crossed several of this res-zones in his path, he would look fragmented in detail.

Guest Dark_Fox
NiGHTMARE said:

1, 2, 3... AOL SUCKS!!!!! =p

Ick!
AoL.. I'm going to wrench all over my keyboard if I hear AoL again..

Guest Jadar
EllipsusD said:

I'd love to download it, but with my aol account *sniff*, I'll just have to take your word for it.

I love Cable...