Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Doom poll (Carmack=iD)

Do you think that iD would survive without Carmack??
Their reputation would be lost and they wouldn't get any money on the engines and no one would buy their games again!
Let's face it Carmack is iD!
Without Carmack there is no iD!
Just look at TA the game that Carmack wasn't involved in (cause he was working on a research for DOOM) and it turned out to be a good game but not in the quality iD is so known for!
What do you guys think? (NO flamings)!!

Guest PFCGray

I say, lets keep Carmack! And if possible, John Romero too.

Nonsense. What would be iD without the dark-gothic drawings of Kevin Cloud and Adrian Carmack?
What would be iD without the skins of Kenneth Scott? Who´re best to design those creepy, hell themed gothic levels than Jaquays, Willits and such?
Why do you think that no one would buy another iD game without Carmack on the scene? You know, less than 5% of the gamers understand the true power beneath Carmack´s engines.
JC´s the best graphics programmer out there, and he would never abandon iD. It´s his company, after all...

Besides, TA´s a mission pack. And iD was never that famous for his mission packs. After all, what´s The Master Levels for DooM? just a bunch of levels. TA has terrain generator, new models, skins, weapons, textures, levels and such...

ok ok you got there a point but I can say the exact opposite!
What would be dark-gothic drawing of Kevin Cloud and Adrian Carmack without Carmack's engine? What would be creepy,hell themed gothic levels of Jaquays and Willits without Carmack's engine?
What would be Kenneth Scott's skins without Carmack's engine?
EVERYONE at iD is TALENTED but:
John Carmack is iD software!
Remember this article about Q3A final days?
Scott Miller said there the exact same so did Sweeney and everyone will say it cause it is obvious!
As long as iD works together it will be AWESOME but I was really upset about Paul Steed fired from the wrong reasons (to sutisfy Kevin Cloud! that's plain dumb!)
Yes they hired a new animator that has expirience probably even more than Steed but I hope such things won't happen in the future and iD will remain iD!

Honestly I lied a bit...
I really really enjoyed Team Arena but as every mission pack u simply know what to expect!
That's the thing I don't want DOOM to suffer from.
As Paul Jaquays said to me on Quake3World forums that they are not looking for community feedback at all and probably won't.
I 100% agree with him and I think iD should follow their vision and not listen to the community at all and when DOOM comes the community will do whatever they want but until the release DON'T TOUCH THE COMMUNITY!

It's funny you mention this because a while ago I read that NOTH1NG, a Counter-Strike mapper, had died. I though about how strange it was for a well-known game designer to die - something that (luckily) is very rare in this young industry.

I imagined how it would be if John Carmack would crash his Ferrari into a tree or something, and the world would be without the God-Emperor of 3D programming. It would be a huge blow for the gaming industry, and especially id Software. Replacing such a gifted (genius ?) programmer seems like an impossible task.

So yes, without Carmack id would be crippled. Let's face it, the company has relied on superior technology instead of innovative gameplay for the past few years (everything they made after Doom, IMO), and without the cutting-edge technology that made them famous, it would be very hard indeed to remain the dominant 3D games developers they still are today.

Dima said:

ok ok you got there a point but I can say the exact opposite!
What would be dark-gothic drawing of Kevin Cloud and Adrian Carmack without Carmack's engine? What would be creepy,hell themed gothic levels of Jaquays and Willits without Carmack's engine?
What would be Kenneth Scott's skins without Carmack's engine?
EVERYONE at iD is TALENTED but:
John Carmack is iD software!
Remember this article about Q3A final days?
Scott Miller said there the exact same so did Sweeney and everyone will say it cause it is obvious!
As long as iD works together it will be AWESOME but I was really upset about Paul Steed fired from the wrong reasons (to sutisfy Kevin Cloud! that's plain dumb!)
Yes they hired a new animator that has expirience probably even more than Steed but I hope such things won't happen in the future and iD will remain iD!

Dark gothic textures would be the same. There´s no engine intervention there, just plain bitmaps...
About the levels, you´re probably right there. Altough im sure they can make terrific art in any engine...
Skins will be the same, just plain bitmap UVW wrapped over a model. No engine there.
I was worried about Paul Steed being fired. As Romero says, internal strife is not good to make games...

Lord FlatHead said:

It's funny you mention this because a while ago I read that NOTH1NG, a Counter-Strike mapper, had died. I though about how strange it was for a well-known game designer to die - something that (luckily) is very rare in this young industry.

I imagined how it would be if John Carmack would crash his Ferrari into a tree or something, and the world would be without the God-Emperor of 3D programming. It would be a huge blow for the gaming industry, and especially id Software. Replacing such a gifted (genius ?) programmer seems like an impossible task.

So yes, without Carmack id would be crippled. Let's face it, the company has relied on superior technology instead of innovative gameplay for the past few years (everything they made after Doom, IMO), and without the cutting-edge technology that made them famous, it would be very hard indeed to remain the dominant 3D games developers they still are today.

Yes I must agree with you...
Since the release of Doom 2 the technology moved up and the gameplay moved down but hey! as long as they have Carmack they have money and everyone will buy the games simply because they are graphically AWESOME!!
I really hope that DOOM will accomplish both of this tasks and return iD to the top of the gameplay department as well.

Lord FlatHead said:

That would be very sad. In fact, Gaming community is so young today that we don´t consider death. In some decades, Carmack, Romero, Spector, Hall, Molineux, Raffel, and many more will die.

iD was always a Technollogy oriented company. Maybe after his dead iD will get to the top of Gameplay company. Who knows? Who cares?

Zaldron said:

Dark gothic textures would be the same. There´s no engine intervention there, just plain bitmaps...
About the levels, you´re probably right there. Altough im sure they can make terrific art in any engine...
Skins will be the same, just plain bitmap UVW wrapped over a model. No engine there.
I was worried about Paul Steed being fired. As Romero says, internal strife is not good to make games...

I really don't give a shit about what Romero says!
He made Daikatana and he has to live with it!
It's his fault that when he worked in iD he was in mIRC too long...

That´s a pretty sad comment.
He wasn´t comfortable with iD, that´s why he leave. After Quake things got REALLY technollogy oriented, something he hates.

I don't care what was the reason he left!
I am just glad he did!
And Carmack already said that he left because he was in mIRC instead of working.

I would spent my whole day on ICQ if im working for a project that I don´t like, and I want to get fired. It´s a good way to archieve that...

Besides, why are you glad he left? You love DooM, after all...

Yes I do love DooM but I hate Romero!
Yes he did a good job with DooM but Daikatana!!!
It's quiet sad that after billion patches of 40mb there are still bugs...

Time ago I thought about Romero like you. That he was a morron for not be able to pull off that title well. But then I found this on Gamespot. I don´t know if you´re gonna read it at all, but here´s the explanation :

<a href="Da fucking link">http://www.gamespot.com/features/btg-daikatana/index.html</a>

<http://www.gamespot.com/features/btg-daikatana/index.html>

OK, this isn´t working. (?) Just COPY & PASTE damnit!