Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lament

Realistic mechanics

Guest Lament

All modern fps have (kinda) realistic lightning; Why not realistic physics? i.e. objects exert forces on other objects. Every object has it's mass center, parameters like mass, friction coefficient and so on; and objects can interact with each other. The door, for example is 'an object with fixed rotation axis', and when a player bumps into it - exerts force on it (force exerted depends on mass of the player and his speed) - the door would rotate. Then we, say, add the constant weak force to the other side of the door, and if the player opens it and goes away, the door closes.
Or a stone - when the player kicks it (or just bumps into it), he exerts force on the stone and the stone flies away; the stone also exerts force on a player, causing him to slow down.
If such an engine be created, it would be so damn cool. For example, to make a breakable wall, we just make a wall of bricks. We shoot the wall - brick flies out - down goes the wall. Or complex mechanisms like, maybe, real door locks (what for? uhm, dunno :)) or mechanical clocks (yeah! why not! just a gear connected with a arrow, anoher gear and another arrow)

Uhm.

Severance has that. Team Fortress II too. Realistic physics are slowly taking his position in "hot features". After reading JC´s VE interview, I realized that his going to implement very cool physic for the models AND for the world too.

Guest Johnny Kaos

I've always thout rockets should blow chunks out of floors and walls.

but that would slow down the game, no matter whatever megasystem you have