Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest region

Doom Music and originality

Guest region

Now, I expect Doom to be a new game... I want new weapons, new monsters, new storyline, etc. However I severly hope that id decides to keep a lot of the old aspects of Doom. Basically these little things are the essence of Doom, the memories I keep in my mind of days past when Doom felt like it was my life. A good way to keep these things is to put them into the new Doom in a new way. One of these things I hope they do is bring back some of the original music. Now, have you all heard DOOM: E1M8 Recreation from G0D5G1F7 (Jeremiah Sypult)? There is a link to it at doomworld I believe. This is a perfect example of an old Doom tune brought back as some kick @$$ music. It would be nice if they added some Quake 2 type tunes in it as well, but damn it would be frickin awesome to be tramping through hell and hear a revamped version of an old Doom midi file in your surround sound Klipsch speakers. This idea also goes for many other things, not just music. What do you guys think?

ARRRRRRGH!!! NEWBIE!!!!!

j/k

No quake2 bull crap PLEASE, the music was absolute shit in quake2. But remade music would be pretty sweet. IT wont have
a new storyline, because if it is a completely different story
than the last 2 (i.e. demons and hell and the like) i wont buy
the friggin game, it is gonna have the same premise i promise you, and if it doesn't, well than it is time for everyone to have some of my coffee. ( a fate worse than death I assure you.)

Guest JudgeDooM
MACVILEWHORE said:

ARRRRRRGH!!! NEWBIE!!!!!

lol!

Region, look back at our previous posts. You'll see we all had these ideas. As for Quake II music in Doom III...nah. Macchie's right on this one. It's a total shit and just won't fit well in a Doom game.

Guest region

Well, unfortunately I have neither the time nor patience to look back through this entire Doom forum to see what the rest of you have written. Besides, bringing back a topic is certainly more or less a frame for it. It must be a good one eh? The newbie remark, obviously you were just kidding, but as my own remark must be made... I've been playing games before you discovered your ding dong kid :) Of course remakes of the Doom music is a good idea, which I'm sure most of you agree with. Why don't you agree with Quake 2 type tunes? Are you guys those "I only play original Doom anything else sucks" kinda people? Let me tell you something, as the original Quake proved, ambience isn't all its cracked up to be. If you don't have some sort of hard core, rough, mechanical beat to get you pumped and just have a bunch of ambience like the Quake NIN soundtrack. Have any of you even thought if you brought back some of the Doom midis with guitars and modern synths you would actually get something that sounds like a Sonic Mayhem track? Its true. Listen to some of the midis with beat to them. Updating those would basically make them into a Quake 2 type tune. Now, surreal, or creepy, ambience is a good thing for sure... but id will, believe me, they WILL put some harder tunes in it (pay attention to what id says in interviews and such and you'll have noticed some of their plans for future games). "It WON'T have a new storyline?" LOL, you're so quick to assume. That is what's wrong with the gaming community these days, they say "If this certain element isn't exactly how I want it, the game will fail completely". id can have a new story line without getting rid of the elements of the first. Think about what you're saying macvile, if they had the exact same storyline, it would be the old doom with new graphics (boring, yes, REALLY BORING). They will, at the least, make it a continuation of the storyline, but something tells me they might go even farther off base than that. Continuations don't always stick totally to the same theme, although I'm sure they won't drift too far off. I'm expecting a link to the old storyline, yet somehow not a total continuation. I'm also expecting a lot of the same theme/atmosphere, but they're sure to put new elements in it. If this disappoints any of you, expect to be disappointed. :)

Guest region

But perhaps you also missed a lot of what I was saying. Most of my topic was about how I WANTED a lot of the original Doom back. I don't want Ultimate Doom or Doom 2 or Final Doom back in every single detail, but I want the Doom essence back, just like many of you. You people better have some open minds though, because id won't just put out Doom 2 on a new engine, they've got new people, and the old guys still in id software don't want to create the same game all over again. id is evolving, along with the rest of the gaming community. Certainly we can all hope, lets just not assume things will turn out EXACTLY like the images in your head.

PS: Read this message and my above message as if it were in reply to MACVILEWHORE and JudgeDooM. I should have responded to their responces and not my original post. Dumb me.

Guest Lament

Peace, brothers! DOn't let your faces be all beaten black and blue because of a bunch of tunes. Any music is good as long as you can turn it off. Believe me, I know that as a musician :)

As I would have thought should be bloody obvious, he meant that you are a newbie to this forum, not doom/games/computers/life/whatever.

Anyway, if the new game's storyline isn't going to related to the previous games, why the hell call it Doom? Might as well be Quake 4, or better yet a completely new name (e.g. Trinity or Quest, which are a couple of names ID have been throwing around for some time).

Again if they had entirely new weapons, enemies, etc then it might as well be something else. I'm not saying that they should have only the original stuff, but it definately needs to have at least some of it.

Strange you say that we should pay more attention to what ID says in interviews, as they've already announced that Trent Reznor is doing the music for the new game. As he isn't particularly famous for doing harder music (some might say he's incapable of it), I think you're rather off the mark when you say there will "definately" be some in the new game.

Still on music, half the Doom 1 and 2 songs were either "inspired by" or are direct copies of various Slayer, Pantera and Alice in Chains songs (e.g. Slayer's Behind the Crooked Cross, AIC's Them Bones and Angry Chair, and Pantera's This Love. I think you'll agree that none of these bands sound anything like Quake 2's music.

Guest region

Well obviously that remark wasn't "bloody obvious", or else I would have noticed, and please do no be ignorant and tell me that it was and that the only reason I didn't get it was because I'm "dumb" or "stupid" or such. Also you must realize I didn't say I expected or wanted the storyline of the new Doom to not be related to the previous games. I in fact said it would probably be a continuation or there would be a link to the previous story lines. For all we know, this could take place before the other Dooms, or perhaps later, or maybe during the same time period at a different place/dimension. Who's to say. id of course. Why the hell call it Doom? Obviously there are going to be related things in the game even if the story line was COMPLETELY different, we all know that. Come on. Although, take this into consideration, Quake 2 wasn't exactly a Quake sequal. As for the old Doom midis being inspired by those bands... very few were. I've read things about them as well, and most of the inspirations came from the artists themselves... and strange things such as when they saw John Romero playing the game, making sound effects with his mouth. There were many different inspirations, many NOT taken from hair metal bands. As for NIN doing the music, that isn't confirmed, that was said to be an OPTION. Pay attention to detail my friend. As for myself being "off the mark" on my comment about the music... wait and see. My predictions of past games have been right, and hey, I could be wrong, I'm not going to sit here and tell everyone how the game is going to be. When the game rolls around however, come look at this forum and you might see me gloating or something of that mannor.