Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

ID and music (original - honest)

I'm starting to think that after Doom 3, ID should get themselves a full time musician; the way all their games since Doom 2 have had radically different music styles from the last is just a little weird (yes, even Q3 has a significantly different style from Q2).

Look at Westwood Studios. They've had the same guy, Frank Klepacki, doing the music for every single game they've made since Eye of the Beholder 1 in 1990 (maybe even earlier, I dunno what games they made before then, if any).

Raven have also had the same guy, Kevin Schilder, doing the music for all their games, starting with their first release, Black Crypt, in 1992.

Maybe ID should have kept hold of Bobby Prince. The Q2 and Q3 soundtracks would have been a tad better and more original if they had, in my opinion.

Then again, If Prince had stuck with ID, he wouldn't have made his best song ever, Duke 3D's Water World :)

Guest Archvile46

Letting go of Bobby Prince was a BIG mistake for ID. When I first got Quake 2, I ended up turning the music off, it got so annoying. They'd better get him somehow for Doom III...

Uhmmm...

Howabout Quake 1. That is the worst crap i have ever heard! The only place in it, where some action finds place, is at the start in the quake theme. And it is a screwdriver?

Archvile46 said:

Letting go of Bobby Prince was a BIG mistake for ID. When I first got Quake 2, I ended up turning the music off, it got so annoying. They'd better get him somehow for Doom III...

quake 2 was the only quake game with good music i think. it wasn't as varied adn mood setting as dooms though.

Guest Dark_Fox

Damn straight.. I loved the music.. I listen to it in my CD player :)
I think they had Rob Zombie do the music..
I don't want DooM 3's music to be like that.. I think it should be errie, yes get bobby prince back.. But I think it should have parts where it is is like the QUAKE II music.. Action scenes.. I loved Half-life's music.. Very errie.. Unreal 1's music was kewl but it is in Track form, s3m, xm,it formats.. Not Mp3..

Guest Archvile46

Hey who know's. BP might have written Water World for an ID game. Maybe even Doom III.

Guest Deathtoll
Dark_Fox said:

I don't want DooM 3's music to be like that.. I think it should be errie, yes get bobby prince back.. But I think it should have parts where it is is like the QUAKE II music.. Action scenes.. I loved Half-life's music.. Very errie.. Unreal 1's music was kewl but it is in Track form, s3m, xm,it formats.. Not Mp3..

I wholeheartedly agree, go down the main street blaring Quake2 music and see what response you get.

The music must be like DooM/DooM2 music, no modern crap.

Guest MFishy
Shaviro said:

Uhmmm...

Howabout Quake 1. That is the worst crap i have ever heard! The only place in it, where some action finds place, is at the start in the quake theme. And it is a screwdriver?

Quake 1's music kicked ass. Whats wrong with you. Trents music was a huge influence on Romero, American, and the Id software clan. Thats why they choose him to do the Quake 1 music.

I think they should get Bobby Prince to do the music for Doom 3 as well though. He's great. They didn't let him go though. He is a free lance artist. If you ask him he will write. He works for himself.

Guest Dark_Fox
Deathtoll said:

I wholeheartedly agree, go down the main street blaring Quake2 music and see what response you get.

Haha!
I might do that..

Guest PFCGray
Archvile46 said:

I sure hope so too.

MFishy said:

Quake 1's music kicked ass. Whats wrong with you. Trents music was a huge influence on Romero, American, and the Id software clan. Thats why they choose him to do the Quake 1 music.

I think they should get Bobby Prince to do the music for Doom 3 as well though. He's great. They didn't let him go though. He is a free lance artist. If you ask him he will write. He works for himself.

Its sucky because its all ambient, and that doesn suit quake! Someone say he made it in a weekend, i dont believe that, i dont think he spent more than 5 minutes :p

MFishy said:

That's probably why they used Trent - they needed something bland and boring to match the game.

A few times the soundtrack worked - Palace of Hate and The Wind Tunnels were awesome. E4M1 rocked too. That was about all that was memorable.

REAL music would be the soundtrack for the Quake mission packs: now THAT was cool shit. It's by the same guy who did the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack (and probably a few others), Jeehan Hwang. He is game music god. Trent can suck this guy for years to come.

Deathtoll said:

I didn't care much for the Quake 2 music, except tracks 6, 8, 9 and 10. Get the Quake 2 mission packs (#2), their soundtracks are so much better (none of that happy stuff like tracks 2-5 and 7 from Quake 2.)

Archvile46 said:

Hey who know's. BP might have written Water World for an ID game. Maybe even Doom III.

He made it specifically for a certain level, the one with loads of swimming around in episode 1, so I very much doubt it.

Guest Dream Destroyer
Dark_Fox said:

SONIC MAYHEM.. They did the music.

www.sonicmayhem.com

They credited Zombie for the "theme", whatever track that was... I'm sure it wasn't that silent one or the orchestra music from the intros.

Shaviro said:

Its sucky because its all ambient, and that doesn suit quake! Someone say he made it in a weekend, i dont believe that, i dont think he spent more than 5 minutes :p

Err no, it's not ambient, it's industrial ambient, which is considerably different.

Unreal has mostly ambient music.

Guest Archvile46

I actually liked Unreal's music better than Quake or Quake II's.