Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bobo

ID is slipping...

Id software just isn't the same anymore, and yes, Doom 3 just might blow.

I can already tell that Id doesn't have the same good ideas anymore, because if they did, they wouldn't be making Doom 3.

One of the ways to make Doom3 good is to keep it simple. Thank god the Doom Bible wasn't considered for the game. I DO NOT want a billion weapons and enemies everywhere and I DO NOT want a stupid bunch of different kinds of soldiers in the game and i HATE the whole military/soldier theme which keeps on popping up in alot of games. Keep the game small yet powerful.

ID have always made sequels to their games. Look at the Keens, there are six of them. In fact, I can't think of a single game since their Softdisk days that DIDN'T have at least one sequel (well, Spear of Destiny is really a prequel, but that's just being picky), and even most of the Softdisk games had sequels.

And keep it short? No friggin' way! FPS that are too short are always the ones that no-one ever plays. Compare the size of the communities for Voyager: Elite Force (which most people completed in a couple of days) and for Half-life (a huge community and a huge game), or even for Quake 2 (which also has a pretty long SP game).

Living in the past, Bobo...

Do you really think than people is expecting another Serious Sam with just DooM hellspawns?
FPSs had matured, the old formula isn´t going to work anymore.
"Keep the game small yet powerful" is what you say. Do you think that´s going to work again?
Do you want DooM 3 to become just a shoot-everything-nothing-more-cares after releases like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem Forever and Max Payne, games that are considered top-notch single player experiences?

I think simplier means crappier right now in the gaming world. Games had stopped from being low-budget efforts into full-fledged projects.

If DooM was for you just a horde-slaying shooter, you missed the key element of the game. DooM was a SP revolution. I know, it was fairly easy back then to acomplish this, but iD has already focused their minds and efforts into making DooM a leap in the world of SP experiences.
They don´t have Romero and Hall, but iD had growth to 16 persons just for this game. They have Graeme for the design. They still have Adrian Carmack, who designed back then all the monsters. They had a community that at least 99% of it has complete confidence. DooM will rock...

Guest Dream Destroyer
NiGHTMARE said:

...(well, Spear of Destiny is really a prequel, but that's just being picky

Well, if you really wanted to get picky, you could say that Wolfenstien is Spear of Destiny's sequel.

A sequel has to come out AFTER the thing it is a sequel to, otherwise it isn't a sequel.

Guest NiCoTiNe
NiGHTMARE said:

ID have always made sequels to their games. Look at the Keens, there are six of them. In fact, I can't think of a single game since their Softdisk days that DIDN'T have at least one sequel (well, Spear of Destiny is really a prequel, but that's just being picky), and even most of the Softdisk games had sequels.

And keep it short? No friggin' way! FPS that are too short are always the ones that no-one ever plays. Compare the size of the communities for Voyager: Elite Force (which most people completed in a couple of days) and for Half-life (a huge community and a huge game), or even for Quake 2 (which also has a pretty long SP game).

Hey, remember Dangerous Dave? It came out before Keen. I'm positive the series was made by Carmack and Co.

A FPS remake of that would be good.

Doom may be simple by today's standards, but back then id tried to get as much as they logically could at the time out of the engine. I am postive that Doom wouldn't have been so 'simple' is it had been created a few years later.