Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dark_Fox

System shock 2

Guest Dark_Fox

Ok, I know system shock 2 has been mentioned.
But I was playing it today (Love it!) and I had a intresting thought. The hellspawn should affect the UAC computers in some way.. So you have no control over security, etc.. You have to HACK the terminals and there is a chance ratio that you seceed or fail. Anyone who has played SS2 knows how creepy it was when Xerxes (The Von Braun's Computer) was affected by the alien creature known as The Many; Shodan was creepy too.

The line between RPG and FPS is becoming more and more blurred anyway, just look at Deus Ex.

Guest NiCoTiNe

Deus Ex is good for what it is. The blend of RPG and FPS is near perfect, but a little too scripted. If DooM was to be blended with RPG style gaming, it would need to be more like a 'choose-your-own-adventure' book, where your actions don't cause "Mission Failure" but rather you can kill what you want, where you want or choose not to, each action resulting in a different scenario to arise.

Hundreds of ways to get into that complex building (get the key, enter via the roof, find the ventilation shaft, break a window etc). If DooM did take on a semi RPG-esque role, then a sort of multiple choice type thing would be better than having to figure out what to do to follow the sequence of scripted events. Each person would play the game THEIR way, and each time you play a level it would be different, especially with the proposed AI we talk about, the monsters would NEVER (maybe rarely) be in the same place twice.

That's how you'd keep a game fresh for a VERY long time, if each level plays completely different each time(apart from the very general jist of the mission/level, whatever).

Guest Deathtoll

Do we want DooMEx do we?

The best thing about DooM is it's anoninymity. You're just a marine trying to survive. Don't give the marine a script, it'll KILL the series!
Let's not have DooM3 go so far as to be a H-L clone, just like the rest.

Has anyone made a DooM3Arena???

Guest Dark_Fox

ONly include some elements.. Jesus, the game needs to have some depth.. Might as well call it "bob and his gun vs the blockpeople" if you just walk into every level killing things. (DooM helped in your quest for Keycards) It would also seem rather dated gameplay otherwise, me? I love in depth game play, I nearly pissed myself when I play SS2.. SO invovled, I felt I was on the ship, the rush, and the horror as I stumbled across the magled bodies with the horrified expressions still stamped on their now cold faces.. Each with their own story encoded on small disks I find around the ship. In some ways SS2 had more setting than HL, but for some reason did not sell as well. Looking Glass Studios has gone out of business becuase of this... Its real sad.. I want to play the original system shock, but its for a mac.. and macs suck :)