Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mauler

The release of Doom2

Guest Mauler

I have a question that only the veterans can ask, I mean the guys who played the Doom shareware the day it came out. When you heard that Doom II was coming out, what did you think about it then? Were you dissapointed when it came out? Were you dissapointed that there was only one new gun and seven new enemies? There were no engine improvements, what did you think about that?

I have only been playing Doom for about a year, and besides I am more of a Quaker than a Doomer (even though I still love Doom), so I don't know what it was like.

Guest Dark_Fox

Very dissapointed..
Aside from a few good things, the levels where udder crap..
Quake should have been Doom II (Changes being made)

Guest RTC Marine

although i heard "Doom 2 has a few more optimizations to the engine code" when it came out in my time, but i still don't know if its true!

I just remember that it was sooooooo long from news that Doom2 was to be made to it's release !
Rather similar to what is happening with Doom3 now :)

RTC Marine said:

although i heard "Doom 2 has a few more optimizations to the engine code" when it came out in my time, but i still don't know if its true!

The first Doom 2 release was 1.666, whereas I think Doom 1 was on an earlier version at that time, so technically it did have engine optimisations :)

Guest NiCoTiNe

I was totally unaware of doom2's release at the time until I walked into a game shop and saw a doom demo running on one of their show comps. Curious I ventured forth and pressed the ESC key to bring up the menu, when I saw the title 'DooM II' I almost shot my wad.

Well, I think that the big difference might have been about space. Doom II allowed higher levels than Doom I. If you think about it Doom II has more space and a more varied setting in the environments than the original one.

Pardon my bad English, but I just wanted to set those classic facts straight. If I'm wrong I'm sure there is someone out there to tell me...

Guest JudgeDooM

Yeah. That's good for DM. I hate playin Ultimate Doom in DM. Doom II's better.